Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'does 18in get insured in australia????'

All depends on your insurance company. Often times a picture of them on the car and notification you have them all will allow the insurance company to insure them.

·
Registered
17 Posts

General rule of thumb in Oz is that you can fit up to one inch larger than the largest factory wheel fitted to that vehicle. So, for a Mazda6, the largest factory wheel is 17 inch, so you should be able to fit an after-market 18 inch wheel if you wish. However, each insurance company is different and you may get told that you can only fit up to one inch larger than the factory wheel for that particular model, ie. if you have a Mazda6 Classic with factory 16 inch wheels, you might be limited to no larger than 17 inch replacements.

Other things to think about with 18 inch wheels are cost (lots of $$$ to buy plus tyres); a harsher ride and more road noise (due to very low profile tyres).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

yep i know it cost alot
but it kinda looks better

can anyone tell me how to upload pictures
and show it on the display board?

there a picuture i want to show and ask about the wheels in the image

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Originally posted by fencer

General rule of thumb in Oz is that you can fit up to one inch larger than the largest factory wheel fitted to that vehicle. So, for a Mazda6, the largest factory wheel is 17 inch, so you should be able to fit an after-market 18 inch wheel if you wish. However, each insurance company is different and you may get told that you can only fit up to one inch larger than the factory wheel for that particular model, ie. if you have a Mazda6 Classic with factory 16 inch wheels, you might be limited to no larger than 17 inch replacements.  

Other things to think about with 18 inch wheels are cost (lots of $$$ to buy plus tyres); a harsher ride and more road noise (due to very low profile tyres).[/b]

This shouldn't affect road noise at all if you get a high quality tire. I put 17's on my Protege and it was fine. Quieter than stock because of the tires.

And you coul fit 19's and maybe some 20's on the 6. It's all to do with the offset. Have a higher than 45 on a 7" width wheel and you won't have any rubbing and a higher than 48 offset on a 7.5" width.

No problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I asked RACV today about this and they said that they won't insured any Mazda-6 with more that 7" inch width of wheel.

So it doesn't matter how big is the diameter as long as it is not fitted with a wheel more that 7" inch in width ! :p

·
Registered
254 Posts

With the insurance thing, most insurers like RACV, NRMA, RACQ [all underwritten by the same company] will go 1 inch wider than standard. It's not the diameter measurement. Therefore the standard wheels on the Classic Hatch are indeed 16x7" so you can go 17x7, 17x8, 18x8, 19x8, etc.

If you only had the limited version of the 6, they have 15x6 steel wheels. So the maximum width you can go for this car is 7 inches wide. Therefore 17x8 is out of the question, but if you were to put on 18x7 inch wheels you'd have insurance.

On another note AAMI insurance will let you go wider, I think it's a 2-2½ inch width wider. BUT get it in writing and depending on your age there are certain other limits you have to abide by. If you're under 25 you can't have the car lowered. With RACV you can have the car lowered 30mm.

Personal advise, if the insurance company says they will insure you for a certain modification always always always get it in writing. Ring up first and double check everything.

Mate, i hope this helps. Send me a PM if you want any further info.

Adam

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: does 18in get insured in australia????

Also, don't worry about it. Had my car wrote off and the rims weren't insured. They gave them back to me in exchange for the steelie's on it originally.
They wouldn't fit the 6 [4 vs. 5 bolt] so I sold them and made money due to their limited production and getting them at wholesale cost from a friend that owns a shop :D lol.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that with our insruance agencies. If they see something on your car that you haven't told them about they won't pay you out. Unless you take the offending item off the car first.

Adam

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

are u sure that the classic are 7in wide?????
and plus
i want to know where did you get all these info from ?

;)

·
Registered
254 Posts

I got the information of the wheel width from the Mazda 6 Brochure, or go to the Mazda 6 Specifications Page Here

As for all the info about the insurance companies, when I bought my Mazda Astina I looked into putting wider wheels on it, they told be that 1 inch is the rule. Since the 94-98 Astinas have 14x5.5" steel wheels as standard I could only go to a 6.5" rim. I wanted to go 7" wide and lower 2 inches. Can't lower it 2 inches either, only 30mm. I have had a look at the insurance guidelines book that NRMA have in their local office, it specifically states this rule quite clearly. Otherwise find another insurance agency. My brother also works for AAMI, that's how I knew they go wider.

Just Cars insurance is also an option. They will insure you for basically everything that you want to do to your 6. You have have 9" wide rims if you want! Just Cars is underwritten by AAMI and there website is located here. If you apply for a premium quote they will get back to you within a day or two [except over the weekend].

Other than that, maybe a private insurance broker. But usually you'll find that their annual premium will be higher than the larger companies.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Adam

·
Registered
254 Posts

I forgot to add this; when you ring up an insurance agency make sure that they have the correct model on their computer screen. Explicitly state that it is the "Classic Hatch" so they don't get confused

Best of luck...

Adam

·
Registered
254 Posts

No worries mate,

Hopefully by the end of this year I will have 17x7's on the Astina and also lowered 2 inches. I'm going to insure it with Just Cars. The Premium will be about $1000AUS, I have already got a quote.

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts