Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF and I noticed the heater turns off in the seats after 15-20 minutes.. is this normal? Turning the seats off for 5 minutes, then on again, it didn't re-activate...

·
Registered
998 Posts
My GF and I noticed the heater turns off in the seats after 15-20 minutes.. is this normal? Turning the seats off for 5 minutes, then on again, it didn't re-activate...
[/b]
Nope, mine always stay on. Get quite warm at times.
Jason

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I notice this also, but I think it is just your back getting acclimated to the heat from the seat, so you dont feel it as much. Both of my parents have heated seats in their cars and they do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i've noticed the seats get real warm, then gradually cool after about 15-20 minutes. here's what's in the manual:
The seat temperature is regulated automatically by a thermostat. Other than turning it on or off, it cannot be adjusted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The thermostat might be a good idea actually. I have heard of numerous cases (for women) where the use of the seat heater caused urinary tract/bladder infection because the heat makes the bacteria grow quite nicely. Physisicans I have talked to confirmed this. For men it seems to be less of a danger. They said to only use it when it's really cold and only in the beginning and to turn it of after 15-20 minutes. Don't use it for longer periods just because it's nice and comfy.

Zoomspeed

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have noticed the thermostat kicking on and off. And it does take about 15 minutes for the first cycle to start. I don't like that it has just two settings: skillet, afterglow.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I guess I should have asked the question, when you say 'off' do you mean off to where you can't feel it and the seat goes cold?

Mine doesn't go cold, it stays warm. Maybe not as intense, but never gets cold again.

Jason

·
Registered
676 Posts
Every car I've driven with heated seats, they cycle on and off. MS6 definitely cycles. On my way back from snowboarding I was wishing they'd stay on all the time.
[/b]
I have driven a couple of audis and the seat heaters in those seem to stay at the number selected all the time... and let me tell you 6 is butt burner hot (whats that smell hunny? O its just my @$$)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
My seats cycle off and on if the switch is left on. I don't want to hijack this post, but: No way somebody got a UTI from heated seats. It'd be a stretch to try and blame a vaginal yeast infection on heated seats, even. Most pathogenic bacteria grow best at 98.6 F. Even if they did grow better at 102 degrees, you'd have to have a seat heater making your core body temperature elevate to 102 F, because just heating up your ass and lower back won't cause just the pelvic organs to heat up..your skin and circulatory system redistribute the heat and any excess heat not needed is taken care of in other ways..like sweating. There's anecdotal evidence that tight-fitting clothing with little ventilation can contribute to yeast vagintis, but I'm not aware of any case reports in the literature blaming heated car seats. The main danger would be for an infant, paraplegic, or person with an altered sensoruim...like a drunk passed out or a demented elderly person to sit in a heated seat which didn't eventually turn off, because they either couldn't sense the discomfort, or couldn't communicate the discomfort to someone else, or both. I have seen 2nd degree burns from electric blankets. There's also an interesting rash called erythema ab igne, which can occur from long term exposure of the skin to heat sources, including heated seats and electric blankets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
dfw6er
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing