Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not talking track time or autocrossing. Just every day driving. I live in dry, flat, no snow, Texas so I just roll with it off. I turn it on during heavy rains and other inclimate weather conditions but that's it. Otherwise it's off. Anyone else?

·
Registered
721 Posts
off

·
Registered
358 Posts
Off... but ONLY on dry roads.

·
Registered
651 Posts
On...but turn it off if the mood strikes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ummm... ON.

It makes no sense whatsoever to turn it off. The system is designed to retain stability in an emergency manuever. Dry roads, wet roads, snowy roads, whatever. DSC is a helluva lot smarter at maintaining car control than most of us are.

I can understand why you MIGHT turn it off if you went to the track or you wanted to just "play" for a bit. Even at the track though, most of my RX8 friends that run NASA leave it on. It takes a lot to get it to react and usually when it does you WANT it to.

Shutting it down during normal or because you think the roads where you live don't "need" it is like saying your airbags aren't necessary. It's a safety system. Why shut it off if it is not getting in the way.

My $.02

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
on - mostly because i always forget to turn it off.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
If mazda didnt want us to shut it off they wouldnt of put an on off button
[/b]
That button is for when all 4 wheels are on snow or slippery surface and you're trying to get going from a stop...otherwise wheels start to spin and the DSC will try to throttle down your engine and you'd never get unstuck...turn off the DSC and it will allow the AWD to engage once the fronts lose grip.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ummm... ON.

It makes no sense whatsoever to turn it off. The system is designed to retain stability in an emergency manuever. Dry roads, wet roads, snowy roads, whatever. DSC is a helluva lot smarter at maintaining car control than most of us are.

I can understand why you MIGHT turn it off if you went to the track or you wanted to just "play" for a bit. Even at the track though, most of my RX8 friends that run NASA leave it on. It takes a lot to get it to react and usually when it does you WANT it to.

Shutting it down during normal or because you think the roads where you live don't "need" it is like saying your airbags aren't necessary. It's a safety system. Why shut it off if it is not getting in the way.

My $.02
[/b]
nice opinion...wasn't asked for

off

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ummm... ON.

My $.02
[/b]
Spot on :yesnod: ...your two cents is invaluable. The system has been designed to save your life in all conditions. The most dangerous scenario is just driving on the road with other people who can kill you with their lack of skills...turn it off when you are trackside!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's your perogative to drive with it on or off but no one here should be preaching. I've owned 4 cars in my life and I've never owned a car with DSC until now. Didn't miss it then, don't miss it now. Last car i had came with ABS and an airbag, disengaged both. I didn't buy this car for it's safety features i bought it for it's performance capabilities and if the DSC takes that away, i'm going to turn it off. If safety was a bigger concern than performance, i would keep it on, but if that were the case, i probably would have bought a slower car.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's your perogative to drive with it on or off but no one here should be preaching. I've owned 4 cars in my life and I've never owned a car with DSC until now. Didn't miss it then, don't miss it now. Last car i had came with ABS and an airbag, disengaged both. I didn't buy this car for it's safety features i bought it for it's performance capabilities and if the DSC takes that away, i'm going to turn it off. If safety was a bigger concern than performance, i would keep it on, but if that were the case, i probably would have bought a slower car.
[/b]
Bingo mate!

·
Registered
272 Posts
On, because of the high speed corner control...

[attachmentid=15518]

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about4227.html

The DSC only slows a slipping launch, it doesn't effect the performance of the car otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
I usually have it on because I forget to turn it off. Granted it's safer with it always on but it hinders performance on the street if you want to launch quickly and forget it's on so the car bog's really bad... not that anyone should be racing on the street anyway. That is what the track's for and at the track you had better remember to turn it off if you want decent times.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I'm not talking track time or autocrossing. Just every day driving. I live in dry, flat, no snow, Texas so I just roll with it off. I turn it on during heavy rains and other inclimate weather conditions but that's it. Otherwise it's off. Anyone else?
[/b]
On, headed home from the holiday today showed why. Exiting NB I35 onto hwy 79 and a Nissan Titan crewcab came across 2 lanes of traffic and tried to make me an addition to his driver side nerfbar. With the DSC on was able to break and turn (more so that ABS alone would have allowed) with little drama for a relatively hi-speed evasive manuver - was exiting the freeway at ~65 and the truck was accelerating up to about the same speed to merge with I35 traffic. I did get the quick cold sweat and the truck did lock up his back breaks, but both of us came away unscathed. I contribute at least some of that to the DSC.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Maybe it's just me, when I turn it off the turbo sounds different through the CP-E... IMO my car feels like it's pulling harder and sounds better whenever I turn it off.
[/b]
It might be me too, but my car seem like the way you just describe it?!?!?!?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts