Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,775 Posts
If your getting new pads get new rotors, its silly not too.... why would you put new pads onto old rotors especially when your new pads have a higher friction compound? Now your putting MORE heat into a rotor that has already lost some of it's mass?

If your going for performance pads, get new blanks at a minimum, its silly to put a high friction pad on a worn rotor, it is only asking for overheating when drivne hard, and warping due to un nessecary heat build up. Heck rotors every 50K miles is pretty good IMO!

· Registered
2,775 Posts
Slotted are perfectly safe form cracking and warping. While the slots to not provide out gassing like they used to many moons ago, they do keep a fresh pad surface and IMO look pretty good. You may see slightly shorter pad life with slotted rotors, but overall braking should be identical. Any loss of mass is negated by better cooling.

That being said, a quality blank i perfectly acceptable, I get slotted personally because A: THey aren ormally zinc plated and I hate rusty rotors, B: They look neat-o!

· Registered
2,775 Posts
As for the comment that slotted rotors keep pads clean, doesn't that mean, IOW, that slotted rotors wear pads out faster? 14.gif
[/b]
As I stated blatantly:
You may see slightly shorter pad life with slotted rotors
[/b]
But if your buying aftermarket high friction pads, I have to assume your driving hard SOME TIME, what good are glazed pads that last 15 years :huh:

It's a matter of matching quality components, putting new high friction pads on used rotors is like putting P165/85/13's on a ferrari or wrinkle walls on a 71 honda civic ATX or 87 octane in an F1 car or a.... if your going to use one quality component, match it with something else quality!

This is JUST my opinion, I am by no means an automotive or brake god, but I have built 2 big brake kits, I used slotted rotors in both, to date no one has complained of un due or premature pad wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.