Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if you have to clear a cel asap or is it just
an eye sore?i don't have a cel just yet,hell i don't have an aftermarket intake :(
just wanted to know if i got one could i drive the car even after one came up?
where i live there is not much help on the scanner front.you can't expect an idiot to
perform brain surgery so why even ask them(autozone-advancedauto)to check my car out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You really should find out the cause of the cell asap. Especially if you do not have a CAI. You never know what could be causeing it. Everytime I throw my Injen on it throws a CEL but I have never had a CEL otherwise.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't have a cel just trying to stay informed. i know what i am getting into i just like
having a little knowlege before spending my money on mods that require more money
to fix[scantool]than see gains on.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are REALLY worried about a CEL, get the CPE intake.
[/b]
i am not worried just curious. i would like to get cpe but that cost more money than i can spend right
now.a used aem intake would fit the bill for now.

·
Registered
676 Posts
No complaints from the AEM here. I have about 10k miles with it. No problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No complaints from the AEM here. I have about 10k miles with it. No problems.
[/b]
i don't even have 5000 miles on my car total!i have a 4 mile drive round trip to where i work.
when i am not working i am home with the kids and wife.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Honestly,
The rule of thumb I use is:
if its on soild, i'd get my autoenginuity to it as soon as I can.
If it's on and flashing, i'd get any scantool to it as soon as I can so I can pull the code.

Never assume a CEL! (unless it's something brain dead like you normally disconnect the IAT/mass air sensor wehn checking the air filter. I do because I'm afraid I'll stress the wring and it'll cost me more than I want to know. So I disconnect it. I've forgotten to reconnect it before, and thrown a CEL that way.

In that case, just disconnect the battery and move on with your life 15 min later. On the other hand, if you haven't touched anything in months and it suddenly goes off, be worried and don't assume!

bottom line, don't assume unles it's brain dead. If you feel threatened by what I just typed, buy a scanner. It's a few hundred bucks. Not that much compared to the cost of assuming it was "just another supid cel" and killing your cats or something.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buying a cheap scanner for your car isnt really worth it. There not that good. The only scanners that are good for the car are the factory scanners. And since those run a few thousand dollars, i doubt you will get one. Plus, have you eevr tried hooking up a scanner to your car? Cause I have tried the ones at autozone and it wouldnt link up. Plus I tried one in my engine performance class and it wouldnt link up. And if you have a flashing CEL, that means your car is currently misfiring. Nothing else. And disconnecting your battery dosnt erase your codes. They are still stored in your CPU

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Get a CP-E or ignore it......your choice

btw this should be in the newbie section.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Buying a cheap scanner for your car isnt really worth it. There not that good. The only scanners that are good for the car are the factory scanners. And since those run a few thousand dollars, i doubt you will get one.[/b]
There are plenty of scanners that are extremely powerful and provide almost all the same information that a factory scanner would, some that will provide exactly the same information aside from the ability to receive updates from the manufacturer. Are they "cheap"? No. But they're not thousands of dollars either. AutoXRay is a good choice, and AutoEnginuity which will just run a couple hundred bucks is actually used by some manufacturers on their assembly lines.

Cause I have tried the ones at autozone and it wouldnt link up. Plus I tried one in my engine performance class and it wouldnt link up.[/b]
That's because they were OBD-II bus scanners and your car is a CAN bus. It takes a particular and new kind of scanner to link to the Mazda6. One would think that you would have learned that in an engine performance class. If you've got the right kind of scanner you can link up to the Mazda6 easy as anything else.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The CAN protocol support is critical. I had a generic OBD2 interface and PC software program which would not work at all on my 6i. The company had a low cost upgrade for a CAN compatible interface which used the same software package so now it's golden. Cheapest PC/OBD2-CAN setup out there I think: http://www.obd-2.com/

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
you still cant get as much info off an aftermarket scan tool as a manufacturer scan tool.[/b]
Actually except for a few specific pids, the aftermarket scanners are pretty close to the old WDS system. In fact, I'd say the autoenguity was far superior due to its method of displaying and logging data. It just cost 1/100th of the price.

the K&N typhoon will be good about not giving CELs as well[/b]
The K&N, AEM, and Injen intakes have all been shown to throw cel's. There are multiple cases of each where owners have encountered the same check engine lights. This list also includes the other secondary intakes, such as the autoexec, misc ebay models, weapon-R, etc.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
the K&N typhoon will be good about not giving CELs as well
[/b]

Not on my 6i. I threw the lean code with the typhoon, so I bought an AutoXray scanner off ebay for $160 shipped. Totally worth it IMO to know that much more about what's going on with your car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
MZBuckeye
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing