Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently after seeing a couple of pictures of Mazda 6's online with Atenza badges, and after learning a little more about the Atenza, I decided to buy a badge and put it on my car. I removed the 6, but left the Mazda badge on, and put the Atenza one on the other side.

Now a certain other Mazda 6 forum had an interesting thread on this very subject, is adding "Atenza" to your 6 a ricey thing to do? The amount of people that did think it was, and the amount that didn't seemed to be about equal.

The reason I ask is because I absolutely despise ricers, and don't want to be associated with them in any way. I kind of justified doing this seeing as the 6 and the Atenza as far as I'm concerned is the exact same car with two different names. It's not like I'm putting a totally different badge that has nothing to do with my car on it, just got this idea online and thought it would be neat to have something a little different.

What is everyone's take on this?

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
The general consensus around here is: Yes, it's ricey.

Most people frown upon putting the Atenza badge on their non-atenza 6. Atenza means the thing was made in Japan and shipped over here. Meaning the Speed6 and 3rd gen are the only that qualify.

Some people don't like the Atenza badge period.

That being said - Who cares? It's your car, do what you like :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, usually I wouldn't care a whole lot about what others think about something I did to my car, but in this instance I do. If the general consensus seems to be that it is ricey, then I don't think I want it since I dont want to be seen as a ricer. It was only a few bucks, and was more of an expiriment, it won't be hard to take off and put the 6 back on.

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Personally, I only take issue when there's BOTH an Atenza and 6 badge. That's looks tacky to me. I don't mind it so much if it's one or the other...

That, and if there's an Atenza on a 2nd-gen NA car, since they're completely different from a JDM 2nd-gen 6.

But as Byakuya said, it's your ride, do what YOU want with it! That's the beauty of Modding! :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I got an atenza badge back in 2009 when I ordered my autoexe springs. Its been on my 2nd gen for 6 years. I couldn't care any less what others think. It's my car and as long as I like it. I guarantee you could find those same folks with mods others disagree with. That is the beauty with customization.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with the assessment above, it's your ride, do what you want. I like badge swapping if it's tastefully done (i.e. in original location, not vinyl graphics on the windows, etc.)

I like @Byakuya's reasoning for the swap, I.E. if the car could possibly be the JDM equivalent.

That said, I just de-badge anyway. Personal opinion of course, but my car has been called an Audi wagon more than a Mazda by those less in the know; I'll take that comparison! I just smirk and go, "Nope, it's a Mazda" and the look is priceless.

Happy modding! :)

·
Rally Racer
1,723 Posts
I love rice and if you consider that Mazda never made an 'S' version anywhere then what I have going on is way beyond even sticky rice...
I would like to think that if Mazda ever did offer an 'S' version then what I have put together (with the v6) would have been it. [/egostroke]

The tail lenses and badge are courtesy of @kiwiatenza out of New Zealand. He wanted a USDM look and I the JDM (for amber turn signal) We did a straight across swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd lean towards yes, but it is but a minor violation of rice, and on an otherwise unmolested vehicle would be just fine. But most importantly, it doesn't matter what I think, you do you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Considering that there isn't much that the 1st gens get to do power wise without breaking the bank, anything that we do for looks could be considered ricing it out according to most other car forums. Also depending whare you live, "ricing" could have a whole different meaning. What was once rice back in the day has now gone to a whole new level today and is damn hot imho. I'll go ahead and say that I'm a huge wide body/aero fan so a small little rebadge is nothing lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is actually really common for Kia owners, especially Optima and Cadenzas. They'll switch the main badge because they don't like the Kia badge, and on some of the more elaborate badge swaps I see Cadenzas with K7 badges, or more rarely, Optimas with K5 badges despite Cadenzas being far more rarer.

For me, most aftermarket badges look tacky but it would only really bother me if it's claiming to be something it's not. (Like putting a hellcat badge on a Charger SXT V6)

What I don't get is why they chose the Mazda6 name for North America; I'd personally like Atenza better. Then again, I tend to prefer actual names over alpha-numeric nameplates.

·
Rally Racer
1,723 Posts
I dont get what you just said... USDM is amber turns or every one ive seen.
Notice that I have a wagon. All sedan and hatch use rear amber turn indicators but the wagon uses red.

The picture above is not totally stock as I have wired in the OEM side indicators from the foreign market version. The rear turn (reflecting of garage door) is stock USDM.

In this one you can see them side by side with the amber colored bulb in the JDM and a clear bulb behind red plastic for the USDM.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Notice that I have a wagon. All sedan and hatch use rear amber turn indicators but the wagon uses red.

The picture above is not totally stock as I have wired in the OEM side indicators from the foreign market version. The rear turn (reflecting of garage door) is stock USDM.

In this one you can see them side by side with the amber colored bulb in the JDM and a clear bulb behind red plastic for the USDM.

Ah geez dude, im tired, you have an 04 lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Only what YOU think matters, so do what you like.
As for me, well, I de-badge anyway, so there's no way it would ever be on my car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
even if you have 3rd Gen Mazda 6 which was made in Japan, is not really an Atenza as is not JDM

The Atenza name is for JDM version with the steering wheel on the opposite side.

This is an Atenza true JDM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
15 Participants
Schiforz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing