Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything on the coilover or swaybar front yet?

·
Registered
721 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Someone could probably go more in depth than this but isn't the length of that sway insufficient, making it kind of pointless?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have talked to every company I can think of for aftermarket sways...

GTSPEC looks promising...
[/b]
I believe Mazdaspeed makes a coilover kit. Meant for both the reg6 and speed6. At least according to the website that is. Looks like its maybe 50% stiffer for the speed6 and 65% stffer for the reg6.

But, could be wrong. Just what the site seems to say. Plus, its a mazdaspeed part. though I"m sure there are better aftermarket ones eventually

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
It is not designed for the Speed6, though it will fit, and should work pretty well...

If wanted a track setup, i would look into those new H&R coilovers..

·
Registered
721 Posts
see my post on the H&R coilovers. I just updated it with links to a translated German catalog with part #'s for both springs and coilovers with a nice pic of thier MPS. All we have to do is find someone that can get the springs in North America. the coilovers are already available here. There is a link in the same post where they are selling for $1104.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Someone could probably go more in depth than this but isn't the length of that sway insufficient, making it kind of pointless?
[/b]
length? you mean diameter? its only +1mm compared to the stock sways. assuming they're using the same material, the upgrade will not make a noticeable difference. id like to see one at 27-28. personally, ill stay away from anything autoexe.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The only good choices I currently see for the Mazdaspeed are HKS and KW coilovers. But to answer the original question, yes, you have at least those choices.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
need to make a correction. the stock sway diameters are 24mm/21mm front/rear respectively. the autoEXE sways are a +1mm/+3mm.

·
Registered
275 Posts
length? you mean diameter? its only +1mm compared to the stock sways. assuming they're using the same material, the upgrade will not make a noticeable difference. id like to see one at 27-28. personally, ill stay away from anything autoexe.
[/b]
Any particular reason for staying away from autoexe? Other than price of course. I have no personal experience with them, but I've yet to hear anything bad about their products.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Any particular reason for staying away from autoexe? Other than price of course. I have no personal experience with them, but I've yet to hear anything bad about their products.
[/b]
theres nothing wrong with their products, their just way overpriced. and their products dont offer the best performance out there. i look at autoEXE as more of a style-first, performance-second type company.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
theres nothing wrong with their products, their just way overpriced. and their products dont offer the best performance out there. i look at autoEXE as more of a style-first, performance-second type company.
[/b]
Then you obviously know nothing about spring rates...

Any company whom makes a coilover kit with a 700+ front spring would not care about comfort or style...

And this "performance" advice is coming from a guy with lightweight lug nuts :sarc:

Ok, now breathe, I was just kidding :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
heh heh. the only reason i have lightweight lugs is because i needed new lugs/locks with my new rims. mind as well go lightweight. dropped 6 pounds off each corner with the wheel/lug combo. ;)

im not a big suspension guru so i cant really make comments on the springs. i just never was a fan of springs on stock shocks. ive done it before and ill never do it again. coilovers make a world of difference.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
heh heh. the only reason i have lightweight lugs is because i needed new lugs/locks with my new rims. mind as well go lightweight. dropped 6 pounds off each corner with the wheel/lug combo. ;)

im not a big suspension guru so i cant really make comments on the springs. i just never was a fan of springs on stock shocks. ive done it before and ill never do it again. coilovers make a world of difference.
[/b]
Like I have said before coilovers are a great option if you are looking for a high end track worthy car, but for everyday street use they are OFTEN just too firm...

There will be some that debate that they aren't always like that... but I have yet to be in a car (and I have been in a LOT of cars) that rode well on coilovers...

If you want coilovers you shouldn't be biased against AutoEXE, sure they are expensive, but they put a LOT of time into the development of them...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Like I have said before coilovers are a great option if you are looking for a high end track worthy car, but for everyday street use they are OFTEN just too firm...

There will be some that debate that they aren't always like that... but I have yet to be in a car (and I have been in a LOT of cars) that rode well on coilovers...

If you want coilovers you shouldn't be biased against AutoEXE, sure they are expensive, but they put a LOT of time into the development of them...
[/b]
dont get me wrong, it's not the parts themselves im against, its their choice of production pieces. i mean a trunk crossbar? or how about strut tower bar for a car with no struts? mufflers and tips? earth system? its all for show. they sell few parts that may make it onto a track car: coilovers, recaro seat, sway bars, and brake pads, but none of them are top in performance, yet they're top in price.

and yes, i know im gonna step on a lot of toes with this one, but drop springs are more of visual mod than a performance mod, IMHO. a lot of you can't deny that you got these springs to reduce the wheel gap, but how many of you honestly bought these to decrease body roll? if it was that you were after, you should have gone with sway bars at the same price and those would have done a much better job on handling.

·
Registered
431 Posts
and yes, i know im gonna step on a lot of toes with this one, but drop springs are more of visual mod than a performance mod, IMHO. a lot of you can't deny that you got these springs to reduce the wheel gap, but how many of you honestly bought these to decrease body roll? if it was that you were after, you should have gone with sway bars at the same price and those would have done a much better job on handling.
[/b]
I would have to agree with RYCEBOI on this one. HONESTLY, what was the true underlying motivation to install any lowering suspension components? Unless you are autocrossing, the factory set up is a very good compromise between ride compliance and handling. Yes, there is a bit of body roll, but compared to other offerings by our competitors, it isn't bad.

I have lowered all my cars since the late '70s, with my Datsun 510, Mazda RX-7 FC, Toyota Corolla AE86 GT-S, BMW 525i, Audi A4 1.8 Quattro. OK, I don't claim to be a suspension genius, but I know what worked and didn't work in my particular cars. Bottomline, every single one of my previous cars were different. Not ONE formula worked for every set up, as each car had different characteristics about them with strength and weaknesses.

The closest in handling comparison to the MS6 in my previous cars, would be in between the BMW 525i and the Audi A4 1.8 Quattro. The BMW because it was heavy, but since it was RWD, it had much more steering feedback than the MS6, stock for stock. The Audi A4 Quattro was also FWD biased and as such had vague steering feedback and plenty of body roll, much more than our MS6s.

The BMW tightened up considerably with matched suspension set up by SACHS, using low pressure shocks and rebadged euro Eibach springs and sway bars. I was able to two wheel drift that 525i with just throttle and steering input. :) VERY neutral handling. (also had Racing Dynamic 17x8 wheels and Pirelli tires) Ride compliance was slightly better than our MS6 stock.

The Audi went from factory understeering (engineered this way for the masses, as it is generally safer for novice driver, which NON of us are right? :D ) when upgraded with Bistein Sports, Eibach springs and Hotchkis front/rear adjustable sway bars resulted in slight oversteer. Body roll was almost completely reduced to a minimum. Problem, with that car? The steering still never compared to a RWD car. Ride compliance was slightly harsher than our MS6 stock.

I am prepared to expect the same from our MS6 when it is lowered, the steering will never be as sharp as a RWD, because the front wheels are doing the driving most of the time. So bottomline, if I am lowering my MS6 it is not to gain more steering feedback/feel, but for looks first. I will be honest enough to admit that. From the factory the car is almost netural with some slight understeer and fair amount of body roll. If I JUST want to reduce body roll, when a good set of resonably priced sway bars come out, that should be all this car will need for a swift STREET daily driver, right? Yeah, right... there is something in tangible about the "cool factor". Eibach has built an entire empire around the ideal. Stock wheel gap = uncool. Lower wheel gap = cool. :yesnod:

Autocrossers please do not criticize, I am not factoring your special needs in this post. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts