Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
* Ok I've not change the oil yet BUT does my 2006 Mazda6i come with Catridge filter or traditional spin on ? I've always change my own oil and it would suck big time to have the dealer do it on this car. I've not had time to look underneath just yet ... I figured asking on here is much easier and cleaner.

* I've also noticed that unlike most cars, the doors on my sedan need to be slam relatively hard for it to shut properly. Is it just my car or all mazda's ?

Thanks

adrian

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
* Ok I've not change the oil yet BUT does my 2006 Mazda6i come with Catridge filter or traditional spin on ? I've always change my own oil and it would suck big time to have the dealer do it on this car. I've not had time to look underneath just yet ... I figured asking on here is much easier and cleaner.

* I've also noticed that unlike most cars, the doors on my sedan need to be slam relatively hard for it to shut properly. Is it just my car or all mazda's ?

Thanks

adrian
[/b]
Cartridge! No problem with my doors.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
And even though it's cartridge, you can still change your own oil. I have the motto that no one touches my car unless absolutely necessary.
I have to put a little 'oomf' into shutting my doors, but nothing over the top.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Doors don't require slamming on any Mazda6 I have seen, including several 2006 models.

I would take the car to the dealer to get them adjusted.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've always changed my own oil, never really had a problem. Tho I usually buy filters from the dealership because I couldn't really find the filters around my area too easily.

Just be careful when changing the filter to use all the proper tools so that you do not cause any damage to the parts. You do not have to get the special oil filter wrench if you are careful and use a ragwhen u open it with the wrench meant for spin-ons.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thank's ya'll for your insight.. Also not to sound stoopid or anything but is it hard to change the catridge ? Also where do I find this so call catridge? Is it at the dealer or can I buy it at autozone etc ? Do I need special tools other than my hand? If I decide to put synthetic oil is there a "systhentic" catridge?
Lastly what the heck is a catridge ? and why do mazda enginners do this kind of crap instead of sticking with conventional types :swearin: ?

And even though it's cartridge, you can still change your own oil. I have the motto that no one touches my car unless absolutely necessary.
I have to put a little 'oomf' into shutting my doors, but nothing over the top.
[/b]

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well basically, it's a plastic housing under the car that holds the filter. So you are changing the filter out of this housing, then replacing with a new one, and putting back the housing. It's not really innovative.. I've been told that it's an old style of housing the oil filter.

It isnt really difficult at all. There is a great write up at mazda6tech here:

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=32&Itemid=49

As for synthetic filters.. I've been using synthetic oil since my first few thousand KMs and I have just been buying filters from mazda without a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Squire.. u da man!

Well basically, it's a plastic housing under the car that holds the filter. So you are changing the filter out of this housing, then replacing with a new one, and putting back the housing. It's not really innovative.. I've been told that it's an old style of housing the oil filter.

It isnt really difficult at all. There is a great write up at mazda6tech here:

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option...id=32&Itemid=49

As for synthetic filters.. I've been using synthetic oil since my first few thousand KMs and I have just been buying filters from mazda without a problem.
[/b]

·
Registered
81 Posts
u sure its catridge? the mazda dealer ppl i asked they told me it was changed to spin on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
BobaFC3S
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing