Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I went to Autozone and explained to them that my rear left tire is rubbing even though my fenders are rolled and he suggested tryin Spring Helpers...they are these rubber blocks that fit between the coils of my rear suspension, he said it would be less of a bumpy ride and the car wudnt dip so much. You think i should put them in? Will they cause any harm to my suspension? I am using my stock suspension. thanks

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
pull the fender a little

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im running 18/45/225 wheels with a +45 offset, with Konig Unknowns. Yeah my rear left is the only one rubbing and badly. Others have said it may be due to the fact that I drive alone on the left so much it may have weakened the strut, but I do not know what to do. It happens most often when theres weight in the car, not usually when I'm alone unless its a big dip or pothole. Well I put the spacers in and every now and then its making this squeaking noise so I think i might just take them out. Ill try pulling the fender out a little without destroying my car. Any other suggestions would be appreciated nonetheless.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Are your fenders rolled? Does this happen when you go around turns or just when you hit bumps?

It it happens when you go around turns, you might wanna have your rear shocks checked and also maybe think about a new rear sway to cut down on the body roll. Cause my tires didn't start to rub, til my shocks went out in the rear. Fender rolling helped but I am putting new shocks and sway on it next weekend.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
225 with a 45 offset shouldnt be rubbing... i have 225/40/18 with 45 offset and i dont rub even with the fenders not rolled heh. So there is definately something else going on..

·
Registered
129 Posts
One thing you could try to do is shift your rear subframe over to the right. Loosen the four bolts that attach it to the body, push it over to the right and tighten them down. Won't change your camber or toe (though it could change the thrust angle a bit). Of course this sounds a lot easier than it is, you need a hoist and some serious jack stands or maybe you could do it on and alignment/drive-on hoist.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
One thing you could try to do is shift your rear subframe over to the right. Loosen the four bolts that attach it to the body, push it over to the right and tighten them down. Won't change your camber or toe (though it could change the thrust angle a bit). Of course this sounds a lot easier than it is, you need a hoist and some serious jack stands or maybe you could do it on and alignment/drive-on hoist.
[/b]
or he could roll his fenders... It would be a lot easier and a lot safer.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I run 225/45/18 w/ +45 offset lowered and don't rub because I rolled fenders all the way. Sounds like you didn't roll them far enough back.

·
Registered
863 Posts
225 with a 45 offset shouldnt be rubbing... i have 225/40/18 with 45 offset and i dont rub even with the fenders not rolled heh. So there is definately something else going on..
[/b]
most likely cause your tires arent as tall as his. You are running 225 40 18. he is 225 45 18. Your tire is a lower profile tire, which probably allows the jounce bumpers to stop the wheel before the tire can reach the fender.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My fenders are rolled, but wat do you mean by rolled all the way? Is there a picture so I can see...I went to a dealer in my area and he kept saying its an aftermarket tire and its 2 sizes bigger than your stock tires so it has to be because of the tire and he refused to even look at it without charging me. It is only my rear left one which rubs and usually only happens when I hit a bump or a dip in the road. I'm baffled as to what to do now, I might just take it to a local mechanic I trust and see if he can help me out. The spacers have actually been working, but my rear left side is still visibly lower than my right side and whenever there is weight in the car and I hit a bump or a dip in the road the springs make a creaking noise which scares the crap out of me. Wish there was someone in the area that could help me out. Edison,NJ!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i went to a local mechanic and he said that I may need to raise the back end of my car about 1" to 1.5" inches with a new strut/spring combination to get rid of the problem. I really want an easier solution than that and was wondering whether going down to 18/225/40 would make much of a difference or if I should get a less wide tire...any suggestions would be great...thanks again

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Could the shock on that side be blown? I really don't know shit about suspension so I thaugth I'd just say that anyways since I know shocks can only take so much on a lowered car before they go.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I actually had a similar problem with my car. I'm running a 225 on a 16X8 +50 and it actually rubbed on the rear driver's. When i looked at the rolls on both sides of my car I noticed that the roll was shorter on my drivers side. I had it rerolled but it still did it. I rotated my tires and it disappeared. My guess what that the tolerancing was really off on this particular wheel with this particular tire that made it ususally fat/stick out. Try rotating front to back and check your fenders. If there's a problem goto the shop that rolled your fenders.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Did you say you can tell your car is not sitting at the same level all around? If that is the case your fenders dont have anything to do with it. You have a suspension problem. Unless ofcourse someone put the wrong size tire on one wheel... HEHE

You need to figure out why it isnt sitting level. If you have changed the tire size and or parts you might have caused some damage. You might have also hit something to cause damage. Only way to fix it is figure out what isnt working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts