Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was browsing through my owner's manual the other day, and I came across something that said to avoid blowing the window fuse, you should not operate more than 3 windows at the same time.

My question is this: does this mean I should not operate all 4 SWITCHES at the same time? My standard procedure is to one-touch both of the back windows down, and then as they are going, I one-touch the fronts down. So for a few seconds, all 4 windows are going down at the same time, however I've only ever operated 2 switches at a time.

Is it worried about the switches or the window motors and such?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
It's the current going to the windows motors themselves that might cause you to overload the fuse. You shouldn't operate more than any 2 window motors at once, three would be the most I'd do, and 4 is just really pushing your luck with that fuse which could lead to a bad day if it started raining and your windows were stuck down.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I find this amazing; When you hold down the unlock botton on the keychain it rolls all 4 windows down at once.
[/b]

I was just about to say that. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ROFL at what he said.... I was reading this like... Ok.. 2 windows at a time is ok....

Then he reminded me... Holding unlock rolls all 4 down... o_O

I do this all the time when walking up to a car thats been sitting in the sun for 4-5 hours... Anyway, if you blow a fuse... on your windows.. i'd suggest droppin a slightly bigger one in... Considering whats involed, There is little damage that can be done by upgrading the fuse slightly....

Then again, i've been doin all 4 for a while now, no issues... I think thats one of the "this coffee is hot" type messages... They want to be covered if you try to sue / call warranty on a problem caused by rolling all 4 down... They don't expect it to be an issue... But if it is.. .they are covered...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
yes, insert key into the drivers door and hold in the lock position. for gt people, im not sure.

·
Registered
744 Posts
for the gt just push the black button to lock the doors and keep holding in the button till they go up

·
Registered
413 Posts
I find this amazing; When you hold down the unlock botton on the keychain it rolls all 4 windows down at once.
[/b]
You really find it "amazing" ? I mean, it's a nice feature for some people, but it's no technical marvel.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You really find it "amazing" ? I mean, it's a nice feature for some people, but it's no technical marvel.
[/b]

I find it amazing they say too only roll down 2 at a time when there's a feature that allows all 4 to go down automaticly at once. Get it?

Please drive through.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/b]
HAHAHA. I hadn't even thought of that and I use that feature ALL the time. So perhaps my initial thought is correct in that it's actually current going to the switches that it is worried about?

[/b]
Reading comprehension > you :nana:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think the problem is the spike in initial current when the motor is first operated. An electric motor looks like a really big inductor, and initially has a very low impedance, which leads to big current spikes. Once the motor has ramped up to speed, the impedance goes up, and the current demand is reduced.

If you watch the windows when lowering all 4 with the remote (or raising all 4 with the key/request switch), the front and rear windows start moving at different times. This could be to space out the current spikes that occur when the motors are initialized.

I think as long as you don't try to hit all 4 window switches simultaneously, I think you'll be okay. Using the one-touch feature to start operating the rear windows while the fronts are in motion (or vice versa) shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If you watch the windows when lowering all 4 with the remote (or raising all 4 with the key/request switch), the front and rear windows start moving at different times. This could be to space out the current spikes that occur when the motors are initialized.[/b]
nice observation.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you watch the windows when lowering all 4 with the remote (or raising all 4 with the key/request switch), the front and rear windows start moving at different times. This could be to space out the current spikes that occur when the motors are initialized.[/b]
Damn it, I was just gonna say that.

I think as long as you don't try to hit all 4 window switches simultaneously, I think you'll be okay. Using the one-touch feature to start operating the rear windows while the fronts are in motion (or vice versa) shouldn't be a problem.
[/b]
Yeah exactly. Which, by the way, unless you're some multitentacled alien from the planet Gandor, it'd be really inconvenient to press all 4 switches at the same time anyway. What are you going to do, get your thumb involved?? My habit mimics the car's all-down feature exactly -- I press both front window switches with my index and middle fingers, then do the same for the rears about a quarter second later.

"Don't run more than 3 windows at a time," pfff! That's funny. :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
[/b]
Been doing exactly that for months and never had a problem

Yeah exactly. Which, by the way, unless you're some multitentacled alien from the planet Gandor, it'd be really inconvenient to press all 4 switches at the same time anyway. [/b]
Let's see... four buttons, five fingers. I have no problem pressing on those four buttons simultaneously if I wished to do so even though I'm not Gandorian.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Same here. Done it both a 6s Hatch and 6i Sedan for the last 2 years. No fuse problems yet. But its good to find out that i'm a multitentacled alien from the planet Gandor. I've always wondered why i'm soo goofy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts