Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

With this 3 day weekend I figured I would take advantage and do a cheap, simple, but IMO totally worth it mod. It's a very tedious process doing this correctly, but it will be worth it when your paint doesn't need to be re-done when it starts chipping.

I've seen some posts here and there about painting the engine cover, but all credit for the process goes to mbrogz3000 who posted the correct steps here.

For those who don't know, 3, 10mm nuts are all that are holding the cover in place.

The primer, paint, and clear coat, along with the sandpaper and painter's tape cost a total of about $45. I already had a couple brushes around for the lettering, but those are only $2 a piece or so.

Engine w/cover before:

Step 1: Wash the cover thoroughly, and sand it with a very fine grit (700 or above).

Step 2: Sand the area you will be painting with the fine grit paper, and wash again.

Step 3: Tape off anything you don't want to be painted, shown below.

Steps 4 - 8: Coat the sanded area with your primer. Let Dry. WASH the cover with soap and water, SAND with fine grit paper, re-TAPE, and PRIME again. Your cover should now look something like the below:

Steps 9 - 12: Paint your cover in your selected paint. Let dry. WASH, SAND, and Paint again until you have the desired color for the cover. Let dry.

(Optional step 12-A) I decided to use blue for my lettering, and had to use a couple coats in order for it to look nice. This is mine after all the painting was done:

Step 13: Clear coat the cover and let it dry. Remove any tape once dry, and put the cover back in your car :)

Results:

(I know there are some little bits that have to be touched up, but I'm doing that later, I wanted to just get the photo taken before it got too dark out)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Dude - that looks kickass! I'm so gonna copy and riff on your project!

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I don't know if I mentioned this earlier or not, but this is totally awesome. I'm going to be picking a color scheme in my car and working off this idea this all the way.

Edit: Really really cool look

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude - that looks kickass! I'm so gonna copy and riff on your project!
Go for it, let me know if you want any ideas first, I can whip up a quick photoshop of any color combination you'd like. I already have the template for that design so just PM me and I can email you some test pics :)

awesome project bro! im sorry but im so copying this
Same with Wim, let me know what you'd like to see and I can give you a quick preview via a photoshop.

Cheers and thanks :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
@Byakuya

Felt like reviving your thread. One thing I've wondered while reading about painting the engine cover is: what kind of paint to use??

I saw someone mention high temp paint but idk. Self-etching primer? Use the Krylon Fusion spray for plastics?

What did you use Steve?

I'm thinking about painting my engine cover, fuse box cover, and IM. Can't think of other things to paint. Probably go with gloss black with red lettering and have those valleys/lines above and below the emblem red also. What you think?

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Byakuya

Felt like reviving your thread. One thing I've wondered while reading about painting the engine cover is: what kind of paint to use??

I saw someone mention high temp paint but idk. Self-etching primer? Use the Krylon Fusion spray for plastics?

What did you use Steve?

I'm thinking about painting my engine cover, fuse box cover, and IM. Can't think of other things to paint. Probably go with gloss black with red lettering and have those valleys/lines above and below the emblem red also. What you think?
I used high heat primer, paint, and enamel. Held up alright but the white faded pretty quickly with the heat.

My suggestion, use plasti-dip! It's heat resistant and won't fade, and it's super easy to use and get rid of or change :)

I think your idea will look good. @SonicNutrition plasti-dipped pretty much everything under his hood black and it looks AWESOME. Super clean, super nice.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Like the VHT high temp paints they have at auto stores? I think I have some black, red, and clear left from doing the rsx's brake calipers.

Need to find some high temp primer. Can never find it at auto stores.

How would I go about doing the little red stripes? Tape it off I guess but I figure I would lay down the black first all over then how long would I need to wait to put painters tape over the new paint to do the red? Like a day?

And for the instructions you linked in your OP, by "Remove any dust" like brush it off? Anytime I've touched paint after the 30 or so minutes between coats, it leaves a mark so how would I dust it off without messing up? Don't spray paint often.

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the VHT high temp paints they have at auto stores? I think I have some black, red, and clear left from doing the rsx's brake calipers.

Need to find some high temp primer. Can never find it at auto stores.

How would I go about doing the little red stripes? Tape it off I guess but I figure I would lay down the black first all over then how long would I need to wait to put painters tape over the new paint to do the red? Like a day?

And for the instructions you linked in your OP, by "Remove any dust" like brush it off? Anytime I've touched paint after the 30 or so minutes between coats, it leaves a mark so how would I dust it off without messing up? Don't spray paint often.
Yeah NAPA carries high heat primer and enamel and such. Or Autozome most likely. I still say check out plasti-dip spray, it's pretty killer.

Red stripes on top of black paint will take a few coats. Technically the BEST way would be to do the red stripes, then the black around them, but that's a lot of diligent work with an exact-o-knife.

Wait until it's perfectly dry, that depends on your current weather. Dry heat is the best for paint. It can take anywhere between 1 hour and 6 hours to dry completely, make sure you read the instructions on the paint, they come in handy.

If it's perfectly dry, you can pretty much do what you want with it. Tape on it, as long as it's painter's tape, won't stick or anything. But make sure it's 100% dry before doing this.

"Remove any dust" really means to wash it with water and gently with your hands. Again, if the paint is completely dry, it won't be harmed when doing this :)

This allows for the next coat of paint to stick to the previous one much better than if there was dust in the way. This is also why we LIGHTLY sand in between coats.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I will try it! Idk when. I just finished all the DIY mods I could find for the engine, finished TB bypass and T replacements last week. Installed my cai today and did egr reroute so painting will give me something to do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts