Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a common mod in subaru circles - dead simple, really cheap (bulbs are $9.50/ea), and pretty quick to do.

If you don't want to deal with a full HID kit, this gets you a huge bump in lighting performance for 30 minutes and $20.

H9 and H11 bulbs use the same size connector, with different tooth shapes. With a utility knife, you can easily modify the H9 bulb connector and tabs so that you can mount it in an H11 housing and use the existing wiring connector.

H9s are designed for high beam use - they pull slightly higher wattage than H11s (65w vs 55w), but put out ~80% more light.

Lots of how tos out there, here's the one I used:
How To: Headlight Bulb Conversion (H11 to H9 & 9005 to 9011) - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

If you don't like the idea of hacking the bulb connector, you can buy adapter harnesses on Amazon or eBay for less than $10.

I used regular Philips H9 bulbs - no special coatings or anything. They're $9.50/ea on Amazon, and probably about the same price at your local auto parts store.

(After a month, I couldn't resist the look of HID, so I went ahead and installed a Morimoto HID kit from TRS. The H9s are going into my fog lights, whenever I get them installed) HIDs are better in terms of light output, but the jump from H11 to H9 was really substantial, and worth every penny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts