Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,does anybody know what wires plug into the steering wheel for the cruise and radio buttons and where they are stored.i want to see if I can retro fit the cruise control steering wheel into my car.
Any info would be really helpful,cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info,I'll have to have a look behind my steering wheel and see if I can fit it then.
Has anybody else done this mod on the site.

·
Registered
17 Blue Reflex Mazda 6 Touring
28 Posts
Cruise Control for non-cruise equipped 2009 Mazda 6... not yet

Noobe here... I just stumbled upon this thread and have been working in another < http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/251231-cruise-control.html > as I to, wanted to retrofit a steering wheel with cruise to my 2nd gen 6i SV without cruise. I will re-post my experience from this weekend here. Hope it helps. Further discussion is most welcome.

I actually had several goals for this project. The first was to paint the silver "spokes" of the steering wheel red. (the trim of my interior had multiple shades of silver of differing finishes... glossy, matte, satin) Large custom color matched rattle-can from auto-body paint supplier $24.
To accomplish this goal I discovered the steering wheel must be removed, making replacing it with a nicer one a very attractive option. The silver trim is attached using a Phillips screw from behind the steering wheel... completely hidden by the cover on the back of the wheel. While investigating this, with my airbag pulled gently out, I discovered the wiring connector on my clockspring was largely unused (horn was only connection.)
Having working cruise control was also a main goal with working audio controls a bonus.

So after much research, I determined that there is only one clockspring for my vehicle regardless of trim level (meaning that the electrical connections are present and this should work). I then procured a leather-wrapped (from a Grand Touring model) steering wheel off of ebay for $50.

The disclaimer: I do not recommend attempting this yourself. This is simply a modification that I decided to do to my own vehicle and the steps I took to make it happen.

Tools: Wheel Puller (Harbor Freight $12)
Trim removal tool
Small flat-head/blade type screwdriver
sockets: 8mm & 21mm

First thing I did was disconnect the battery and give the system time to discharge any remaining power in the capacitors as I'm not anxious to find out how painful and/or expensive it is to detonate my airbag(s).

Next I removed the airbag bolt covers on each side of the steering wheel with the trim tool and removed the two 8mm bolts securing the airbag.

I then gently pulled the airbag from its home and disconnect the electrical connections for the horn and airbag. A small blade type screwdriver is needed to gently pull up the black fastener for the airbag wire connectors.

With my airbag safely out of the way, I removed the 21mm steering wheel retaining nut and then got out my new steering wheel puller. (This was surprisingly easy)

With the steering wheel removed (OMG! What have I done???!!! LOL) I installed my new steering wheel reconnected the electrical connections, and re-installed the airbag. Done!

The results:
First I learned that all the electrical connections are in place for this to work. The steering wheel audio controls are plug n play, and the cruise control is NOT. Subsequent research indicates that the cruise control software in the PCM must be updated to "Present." (I will continue to work on getting the cruise to work and update if I do) And further dialogue on this is welcomed.

For me the leather wrapped steering wheel, working audio controls and my paint modifications make this a successful project even though I still do not have cruise... yet.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts