Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was looking for tips/instructions on replacing the lower grill (the plastic piece between the fog lights) on a 2012 6. Mine's a little chewed up. I've found relatively cheap replacements online but wanted to make sure I could actually remove the old one and install a new one myself easily. Thanks!

·
Registered
923 Posts
The front bumper mesh (the part you're replacing) and fog light pods are screwed onto the back side of the front bumper. It might be easiest to remove the entire bumper, but if you can remove the plastic underbody panel at the front, you may be able to remove everything without removing the bumper.

~Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah the more I've looked at it, the more I realize I'll probably have to take off the bumper. It's actually held on by multiple clips around the edge of the grill (I have a 2nd generation, which isn't mesh). Pretty sure I won't be able to safely unsnap and then resnap those with the bumper on. I've found some instructional posts online regarding bumper removal and it doesn't look too hard. I'll probably order a replacement (found one for $25 shipped) soon and hopefully will find time one afternoon to take the bumper off.

You can see the damage, which came with the car when I bought it used, in the picture (lower left). It's not bad, but something I definitely want to fix at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's definitely odd but I'm not complaining because it could be a lot worse. All the bottom clips are already undone but the top ones are all in place. My only theory is that the previous owner (or someone else) got pissed off at something and kicked at the bumper? Haha still doesn't make a ton of sense. There are one or two minor scratches in that general area but nothing consistent with wrecking the grill like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine was chewed up as well, one of the fog light trims were damaged too

i removed the bumper and replaced both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well damn. I ordered the grill from JC Whitney last Thursday night for $26 shipped which was a great price. That piece of chrome molding on top of the grill is a separate removable part. Although the JC Whitney one had black molding, I knew I could just take it off and install the chrome molding that's currently on the car. I get an email today though that they're actually out of stock despite what the website told me when I placed the order. Everywhere else, the ones with chrome are 2-3x as much which is kind of crazy I think. I went with another cheaper piece (about $25) that has black molding which is not removable. I'll obviously save the chrome molding, and I think the all black will still look good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yay, the grill has arrived and the Parts Geek customer service was wrong -- the black molding IS removable so I'll be able to replace it with my stock chrome one. The part looks great -- just like the original from what I can tell. It's dark and rainy here now, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Saturday to attempt the installation. Hopefully it fits OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! In case anyone stumbles across this in the future, there really is no feasible way to do this job without removing the bumper cover. The grill screws in from the back, and I actually had to unscrew and take out the fog lights as well. These are the instructions I used to get the bumper cover off. http://forum.mazda6club.com/electri...l-hid-headlights-foglights-relay-harness.html. It's really not that hard, but a second pair of hands is extremely helpful once everything is unfastened and it's time to actually pull the bumper off--you don't want it crashing to the ground. Also, make sure you disconnect the fog light harnesses and unscrew the marker lights before you start to pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts