Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, finally took some time to write this up.

Tools Needed:
- Dome Light Bulb (LEDs i used)
- Flat Head Screw Driver
- Glue
- Vice
- Double Sided Tape (not required but helps)

Before Video:

After Video:

Process:

1.) Take the led housing off the mirror - this is done by sticking a flathead in there and popping one side out and then do the same to the other side of the housing.

(theres 2 tabs)

for me, i was able to pop the lens off at this time, others the lens stayed on... really doesnt make a difference

2.) Once the housing is removed there are 2 blue wires holding it in place...disconnect those, doesnt really matter to mark them or not simply because when you reinstall it check the connections before locking it back into the mirror.

3.) repeat for other side

4.) now if your lens didnt come off, you might want to use a tiny flat head and pry it apart, some people on the toyota forums recommend using a dremel to get it apart, i did not see the need for this as mine came apart quite easily

5.) once apart, remove current bulb, and apply double sided tape to the led board (does not come with tape or adhesive)

6.) put the led board into the housing, one in you can check to make sure its working simply by hooking a 9v battery and some wire and touching the back of the pins of the housing, this is what i did before sealing it back up. if it does not light up try switching the wires, if it still does not light up the dome attachment is not in right.

7.) apply a good amount of glue to the outer ridge of the lens housing

8.) reinstall lens into the housing and use a clamp or a vise grip to let it set for a few minutes

9.) reinstall into car but make sure you test it before doing so. this can be done by putting the blue wires coming from mirror to the wire and then unlocking the car.

10.) slide one side tabs in and then the other

11.) enjoy

two of the pictures are not mine, that is why it is marked with a *

final pics:

enjoy. let me know if i can be any more help.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
good writeup sir

can i just ask, what are puddle lights for? i live in cali, so it might be common for those with weather, but i haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only use i've really seen are for parking lots and dark garages just to light up the floor, i mean there a factory part so i guess mazda thought it would be some use.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Good writeup Ankit.
I have two that I've opened up (they didn't come apart as easily as yours seem to have) and I have LEDs to put in them but they dont fit with the plug in bulb blank so i will have to wire it directly.

~Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey, awesome writeup. I know we talked about these and saw this before but just had to throw the thanks and good job out there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
haha, thats cool, mines don't go off that quick.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Got mine in! They're sick looking. Thanks so much for the write up. Only problem is the one on the driver's side is being tempermental now and now working all the time, don't know what's up with it. Anyone have this? I'll do some troubleshooting tomorrow, don't have time today. Thanks again ankit69!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no problem dude, glad to see you got around to doing this.

probably a loose connection somewhere. make sure the connectors are on the pins really tight.

also, try shaking it around before you put it back in just to see if it's loose at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yup, weirdest thing ever. Came on perfectly tonight again. I don't know what's up, I'll just have to watch it. Thanks man! Now if only we could make our mirrors move in and out like the 1st gen's ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
You know I really don't know. Winter's coming around quick so I think a final interior / exterior detail before it's onset is needed. I have to get those reverse lights too, they're awesome! Other than that, I think maybe some rims come next summer, or at the very least some winter rubber for this year. How about yourself?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just redid the entire a little bit. ended up getting rid of some silver in the center dash and making it black (put in an aftermarket headunit a while back so silver wasnt really flowing anymore).

other than that, i'm set for now. until i find some more audio goodies or we get some sort of aftermarket equipment available

1 - 20 of 46 Posts