Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the original thread, so I apologize if this is a re-run, but I remember reading that the early Gen2's had an LED light in the front overhead lights that dimly illuminated the shift lever and cupholder at night. My 2012 iSport didn't have this light, but it is easily added since the wiring is still in place. Here's what I did - of course I make no representations that this will work for you and any injury or damage is your responsibility. (I took pictures, but my camera is old and they were too blurry to be useful - sorry!)

Step 1 is to remove the entire light fixture. First open the sunglasses compartment and remove the torx screws. Then insert a small flat head screwdriver into the tabs on the plastic light covers and remove them. You don't haveto remove anything else, the plastic covers are actually the front mounting for the fixture. Pull the fixture down from the back and then rearwards to remove. It may be stuck to the headliner so wiggle it to free it.

The wires for the led light are the middle orange one and the end black one. You can verify this by flipping the fixture over and attaching the ground of a test light to the pin where the black wire attaches and touching the probe side of the test light to the pin where the orange wire connects. The test light should be off with the headlights off and then illuminate when you turn on the parking lights or full headlights.

At this point you can remove the wiring harness by pushing on the release tab and separating it from the rest of the fixture. Take it to your workbench and solder wires to the pins identified above. You can use a light gauge wire as LEDs don't draw much but they polarity does matter so it helps to use a pair of wires with different colors or a white stripe or something (not that you are going to run such a long wire that it will be THAT confusing).

If this is your first time working with LEDs (it was mine), you will learn that a 12 volt car electric system and an LED don't play nice. However that can be easily rectified (is that an electrical pun?) with a resistor. With an LED resistor calculator (one is here: LED calculator for single LEDs), you can calculate which resistor to use with your particular LED. The source voltage is 12 volts (my multimeter crapped out a couple of months ago, so I'm assuming the orange wire is car voltage) and the diode forward voltage and forward current are specific to the LED and will be shown on the LED packaging when you buy it.

I got my LED, resistor and breadboard at Radio Shack. It gives you an excuse to go through the drawers and look like you really know what you're doing. Unfortuneatly the Shack isn't big on blue LED - which is what I wanted - so I went with green. I wanted something smaller because I didn't want a distracting brightness and also didn't want too much heat. I bought a package of 2 green LEDs (part 276-0304) and a four pack of resistors (part 271-1113). The total cost was under 6 dollars.

The breadboard is far larger than you need, so you can cut it down with sharp scissors. I don't know if this is correct way to do it, but I pushed the legs of the resistor and the LED down through the holes and then bent them to hold them in place. Postive wire that you just soldered on goes to resistor (either side, doesn't matter - resistors don't have polarity), then I twisted the other leg of the resistor to the longer leg of the LED (that IS important as LEDs DO have polarity) and then the negative wire (that you just soldered on) to the shorter leg of the LED. Solder all of the remaining connections.

Now you can test the LED by plugging the harness back in and turning on the headlights. If it lights up, yay! If not, loop back to the beginning and double check everything.

Now to mount the LED in the light fixture. The LED pretty much shines straight out the top but you don't want it perpendicular to the hole in the fixture since it will shine too far back. You need to angle it a little to the front of the fixture. Some experimentation might be needed. I fastened the whole breadboard to the fixture by using one of the leftover resisitors as a wire tie. And then I jammed a small square of rubber cut from an old bicycle innertube between the breadboard and the light fixture to shim it against the hole and to provide a bit of a cushioning effect. Low tech, but once you get it in place, it takes very little force to hold it there. Just some ingenuity is required to get it in the right place initially and hold it there. This particular LED puts out very little heat and there appears to be no problem with having it pressed against the plastic.

At this point, it's just a matter of buttoning everything back up and enjoying the light. The LED I chose is VERY subtle - you would never notice that the cupholder is illuminated but if you put your finger over the light you can see that it gets darker. Works good when you're on a dark road with no street lighting but pretty much unnoticeable in the city. Depending on your taste, you might want to go for something brighter. I'm not sure how I feel about it right now, I don't want something too gaudy, but I would at least like it to be noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Great Ill solder a blue one on my car!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Great Ill solder a blue one on my car!
DR, don't you already have the blue led? It would be weird if Mazda took that out for the canadian version.

Growe, awesome install. Shame you had to do it when it should have been standard. Now it's time to change the rest of the lights to LEDs.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nice write up. I was wondering how that thing came off. Now I can fix my LED. It has been on the fritz for about four months. I'm a little tired of my friends calling my car the rave mobile...

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is awesome. For 2012 it was removed completely. But the light notch is still there. You have any pics of how much it is illuminated?

From my T-Mobile Galaxy S II 4G

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is awesome. For 2012 it was removed completely. But the light notch is still there. You have any pics of how much it is illuminated?

I'll see if I can take some pictures tonight although I'm not sure photos will do it justice (hard to take accurate pictures in the dark). Plus there are some variables - what color LED you use, what output, angle that you put it in, other light sources (I have a rather bright double DIN touchscreen headunit) etc.

I was playing around with it last night in the dark, switching the parking lights on and off and seeing the difference in internal illumination. The way I have it set up, the illumination is centered on a point between the shift lever (manual trans) and the cupholders and pools out to illuminate them both (the front cupholder more so than the rear). If there's streetlights, you probably can't see it, too much ambient light. On a dark road, you wouldn't say "hey look! there's a light on the water bottle!" but theres defintiely is a difference. It's subtle but I think it was worthwhile. (Plus I'm older and don't want to mess with my night vision too much so erring on the dimmer side is better for me.)

It may explain why Mazda deleted it. While it's a nice touch, if it wasn't making people go wow, then it probably wasn't driving additional sales. I can't imagine it cost them more than 50 cents, espeically with the wiring and notch left in place.

(PS with the leftover breadboard and resistors, I bought another two pack of LEDs for $1.19 and was able to do footwell lighting at the same time. Again, very subtle and I may add some more down there at some point in the future.)

·
Administrator
8,494 Posts
I actually kinda like it. It does light up the center console and cupholders at night, and it's a feature that a friend of mine is simply fascinated with. She always comments on it when she's in the car at night.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I read a review on the CX-9 where a lady completely flipped out because it was also deleted in the 2012 (had an 09 prior) MY for the 9 as well along with a few other things. I really need to see what i am missing here. The Mazda3 has even more ambient lighting on the doors and such. Mazda just doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mazda part number for blue led overhead light!

Hi folks- I've finally identified the Mazda part number for this missing led spot light. Mazda calls it a "down light". The part # is TD13-69-974C. List price is about $24.00 Although it is a bit expensive, the nice thing is that it simply snaps into the overhead console via the 2 plastic clips still inside and then plugs into an existing female power supply port also up there - located on the passenger side of the assembly. The light comes with the 2 wire harness and male connector, ready to plug into the female port, so it is truly a 'plug-and-play' installation.

As stated before, to remove the overhead console to gain access, flip down the sunglass holder and look up to see the 2 Torx-head screws needing to be removed. Then gently pry the maplight lenses off and the overhead console will drop right down with a gentle pull. The whole operation should not take more than 5 minutes :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi folks- I've finally identified the Mazda part number for this missing led spot light. Mazda calls it a "down light". The part # is TD13-69-974C. List price is about $24.00 Although it is a bit expensive, the nice thing is that it simply snaps into the overhead console via the 2 plastic clips still inside and then plugs into an existing female power supply port also up there - located on the passenger side of the assembly. The light comes with the 2 wire harness and male connector, ready to plug into the female port, so it is truly a 'plug-and-play' installation.

As stated before, to remove the overhead console to gain access, flip down the sunglass holder and look up to see the 2 Torx-head screws needing to be removed. Then gently pry the maplight lenses off and the overhead console will drop right down with a gentle pull. The whole operation should not take more than 5 minutes :)
I'm very interested in doing this, but I was wondering if you could help me out here by taking some pictures? even if its a bit blurry i dont think i mind, as long as I have a rough idea at what im looking at. (im pretty easily freaked out when doing diy stuff)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Great find!
With my Dash Hawk I can change the mood(ambient) lighting to any color I want. lol. I also have an aftermarket USB thumb drive stick where there radio is to give me lighting too, but limited to orange or blue. Works quite well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Diagrams of overhead console factory led installation

I'm very interested in doing this, but I was wondering if you could help me out here by taking some pictures? even if its a bit blurry i dont think i mind, as long as I have a rough idea at what im looking at. (im pretty easily freaked out when doing diy stuff)

Here you go- right out of the Mazda factory service manual :) Hope this helps you.

View attachment Overhead A.zip

View attachment Overhead B.zip

View attachment Overhead C.zip

·
Registered
61 Posts
ONLY USE AN LED!!!!!!!! I installed this mod last night and originally had a dim LED installed, but I was unsatisfied with the light so I tried a halogen bulb. BIG MISTAKE! even with aluminum heat tape it still melted the plastic overhead unit within moments of turning on. It is hilarious that I did this now, although as it started to drip molten plastic at the time I was quite unnerved. I recommend Oznium.com for LEDs

·
Registered
9 Posts

Did this in the parking lot at work. 2 minute job. Thanks for the info.

Also, the part number listed above uses a blue light. Didn't know if that was common knowledge. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm very excited about this. I just ordered the Mazda kit for ease of installation. I had a 2010 that had it, and my wife and I just loved the relaxing "hue" it put on the console. Like moonlight. My 2013 doesn't have it, but I figured it was because it has a sunroof. I miss the light and want it back!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Down Light installation

Thanks to this thread, I was able to finally order the light for my Mazda6 (2009 Canadian spec GS) (part number TD13-69-974C). I work at a Mazda dealer but the parts department could not tell me what part number I needed. It turns out that this particular part is listed for a CX-7 I believe.
The first series of pictures is the part and its components.
The second series of pictures is the installation.
The last two pictures show the effect. One photo is of the light on a piece of paper so you the blue light is confined to a very specific area and the other is more representative of what you would acutally see at night.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts