Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front overhead console in my daughter's M6 today. I broke it back in Dec while trying to remove it to find power for the auto dimming mirror I was installing. I will say, this is one of the most fragile pieces of plastic I've seen in any car. Even gentle prying will break it. Good luck finding a used one. I had to fork out $90 for a new one.

To get it out, remove the two torx head screws behind the sunglasses holder. Then, there are two tabs on either side, about one inch in from the back. Press those in, and it drops right out. The electrical connectors are a pain - why do they always place the little tab you're supposed to press on the side of the connector you can't see? Big fingers don't help.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The sunglasses door broke on mine several years ago. Bought a new one on ebay. When I tried to push the hinge pins back into the console, the entire thing snapped in half. Back to ebay for a new console (I think it was used) and when I installed it, barely torquing the screws at all resulted in the plastic around the screw holes basically shattering. I used some large washers to get the screws to hold.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, old thread, but germane to my problem.

The sunglass door has broken, and now hangs open. Does the door simply press into a slot in the console, or do you have to remove the console to remove the door? I tried gently prying the door away from the console on each side, but it didn't release easily, so before I apply more force if anyone has done this before I would appreciate a heads up on the 'how to'.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Can you tell what's broken? If it's the spring loaded catch, you wont need to remove the door. Though, if it's the little arm that goes into the spring catch, you're screwed. As both Exocet and I said above, that plastic is fragile and can shatter at the slightest use of force. I would recommend getting the whole assembly off ebay or a junkyard car (just pay attention to the color. I believe there are grey and tan versions.)

Best of luck and be careful when you torque the screws back into the roof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you tell what's broken? If it's the spring loaded catch, you wont need to remove the door. Though, if it's the little arm that goes into the spring catch, you're screwed. As both Exocet and I said above, that plastic is fragile and can shatter at the slightest use of force. I would recommend getting the whole assembly off ebay or a junkyard car (just pay attention to the color. I believe there are grey and tan versions.)

Best of luck and be careful when you torque the screws back into the roof.

Well, I can't get my wife out of the car long enough to check.

There's another thread on the sunglass door with a diagram of the console that shows a u shaped clip on the left side of the assembly (I would link the thread, but I don't have enough posts to do so). Does that piece pop out for replacement? My 'finger tester' indicated that part of the clip was missing, so I suspect that's the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
102 Posts
The switch for the driver's map light broke off some time ago and after much searching, I found a 6 at a junk yard. The overhead console was identical to mine and I felt like I struck a gold mine. I attempted to remove the console and lo and behold, it crumbled in my hands. Literally. I've given up because I refuse to pay what these people are asking for a replacement.

·
Registered
Mazda 6S 2009 3.7L
1 Posts
The sunglasses door broke on mine several years ago. Bought a new one on ebay. When I tried to push the hinge pins back into the console, the entire thing snapped in half. Back to ebay for a new console (I think it was used) and when I installed it, barely torquing the screws at all resulted in the plastic around the screw holes basically shattering. I used some large washers to get the screws to hold.
hello where do you buyed the console?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts