Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt document the removal process, because I have the Autoexe front bumper, and it takes me all of 10 minutes to remove it. The factory bumper shouldnt take much longer to removal.

I also apologize for the bad quality photos, I could not find my battery charger for my camera. So i was forced to use the ole Note 3..

But you have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights.

- 4 screws and 4 push clips on the top panel
- 8 screws at the bottom for the undertray
- 4 push pins on each fender
- Slide the bumper off * disconnect fog lights if you have them

There are 3 10mm bolts holding in the headlights. One on top of the fender, one on the side, and one next to the grill. and two push pins also.

Remove light harness from headlights and bulbs - so they dont get damaged in the oven.

Headlights in oven.

*The most important part of this whole process is actually prying the headlights open. I have done it plenty of times in the past. But there are plenty of mistakes you can make to ruin your headlights. So before you do any of this, i always tell people to prepare for the worse, and atleast be able to afford a new headlight if you screw it up..:grin2:

But I made a mistake with the driver side, I was too slow in opening it, and had to put it back in the oven 3 times. For some reason the outer corner had alot more glue then the other side. And it was really hard to pry open after the bake. But I shouldnt have allowed the headlight to cool off to do the corner, and when I put the headlight back in the oven the 2nd and 3rd time, It warped the headlight cover. Just be sure that when you pull it out the oven you are 100% ready to pry it open, and be prepared for a fight with the outer corner.

Plastic cover removed

Photos of inside the headlight if anyone is interested in that..

Photo of the turns signal reflector housing, that is completely removable with 2 screws. Would give someone room to be very creative, with a LED setup.

Photo of the clip holding int he side reflector

push the clip down, and they slide right out.

Photo of the headlight cover

Held in by 4 phillips screws

Sprayed

Sealant used to reseal the headlights sold at world famous Retrofit light source a few miles from my house

Sealed and back together - corner without the reflector

Done and back together, this was the good side

went to work the next day, and had a surprise of moisture in the driver side. This was the result of the warped headlight cover I was referring to. I knew it was little off when I tried to put the bumper back on, it would not sit flush with the fender, and it took a bit of effort to align the screws.

The next day, I took it back off, and re opened the light. Used a heat gun, and reshaped the headlight cover, and sealed it properly. And it sealed properly.

Fixed

It is a fairly easy mod to do, but like I mentioned, you can easily mess up your headlights in the process. You can get all materials here: Retrofit Source

Sorry for the bad photos, as soon as I find my camera charger I will get some better photos.

·
Registered
12 Posts
nice write up and thank you for taking the time to make it. i also, have taken apart many headlights and its nice knowing that these are no different then prior headlights i have worked on. i will eventually do mine as well, but most likely just be removing the amber reflector out of mine without any paint work. good work and your car is definitely one of the nicest 2014+ mazda 6 ive seen.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You must have overcooked the turkey. Seriously what temperature are you shooting for?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really like the combination of painted headlight and Autoexe's bumper. Very mean looking:)
And the way you opened the headlight looks very clean. I tried to use oven-ish set up to heat up whole, but it cools down really quickly(maybe my garage at night is too cold) once it's out, so I ended up using heat gun and heat up a little by little. it turns out a little messier.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
This is starting to sound like it needs to be moved to the "Cooking & Baking" thread...
:grin2:

But fo' reelz @JITB Nice write-up. Very well documented, regardless of what you say...Nice Photos!

Write-ups like this makes me feel a lot more confident when it comes to opening mine up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, really nice setup you have. I had a full TRS kit ready to put in and I got to the baking process and couldn't get the damn things open. I tried multiple temps anywhere from 220-280F from 8-17 mins, and the glue wouldn't give at all. I then tried a heatgun and after about 45 mins of attempting, I got the corner to budge a little bit but I decided to stop because I was deforming the plastic to a point way outside of my comfort zone (especially on 2015 headlights). I stopped baking completely, reinstalled everything and have held off on the retrofit for about a month now.

I've been seeking professional help to open up the headlights and have been getting quotes around $200-250 just to open them up, which I think is a bit high considering it only takes these professionals about an hour to cut them open with a hot knife.

So.. I really want to open them up, but am scared I'll completely ruin the housings. I've looked into using a hot knife which looks very safe and much more precise than baking and prying with a screwdriver..

Two questions: Are these butyl rubber or perma-seal? And what oven settings did you use to open up yours?

Thx

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heat gun should work on the corners. That was the only spot that was tough for me. But I also did mine on a cold day. But if all else fails you can get a replacement headlight for 150.00 haha. If you can afford that your ok.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Awesome write up! I have always been afraid to do that but this makes it seem easy...once you get past the initial fear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
NCMAZDA6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing