Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So.. ignoring the debate about legality, here's an independent fog light mod. I've done this mod on all of my cars that had fogs and with the new TRS LED Fogs, it's a perfect time to figure this out. It's not as easy as a Honda or Subaru, but has the same concept with an additional relay.

I was doing a trial and error so this DIY isn't fully comprehensive so you will need to use some problem solving and thinking. As always, I take NO responsibility for any damage, harm, injury, destruction, etc... for your actions.

Parts:
Mini Add-A-Fuse
12v Automotive Relay

- I'm using [ame]http://www.amazon.com/INSTALLBAY-RL3040-Relays-Economy-Relay/dp/B00QEYSGIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438009141&sr=8-1&keywords=installbay+relay[/ame]

- This also works [ame]http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-965400001-SPST-Relay-Bracket/dp/B004NIKVWC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438009094&sr=8-7&keywords=hella+relay[/ame]

Extra wire, crimps, soldering iron, etc...

Begin with the removing the control stalk.... then proceed below.

1 - Start Here... maybe without the small relay on the top right.

2 - Pop off clear plastic cover

3 - Exposed. Unplug connector. We're after the brown wire.

4 - Use a pick or a tiny flat head to release the pin from the connector.

5 - You'll be left w/ this.

6 - Take some wire, strip off about 1cm, then insert it into the connector on the brown wire, then drop some solder in there and heat shrink it. (You can also cut the connector off the brown wire and use a butt connector or solder, etc... but I wanted my install reversible)

7 - Put it back together.

8 - Put it back in the car.

9- End result.. something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You'll need to use some problem solving and thinking, as well as crimp some wires and such for this step. Again, I'm not liable for any damage, short circuits, fire, bodily harm, etc...

Wiring is based off 2015 Mazda 6 Touring. Sport and/or Grand Touring may be different.

A pretty bad schematic...

This is the relay you want, pull it out.

Use an add-a-fuse in the in-cabin fusebox behind the driver's side kick panel (You may want to buy the low profile ones.)
- The third slot was unused from factory but gave a switched 12v so I used it.

Next step is to run the aux relay power supply wire through the firewall. (There are multiple ways of doing this, but I poked a hole in the rubber grommet and poked it through; if you do this BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL of NOT damaging the bundle of wires inside.) That thick blue wire is for my audio setup... you want to look at the thin blue wire. This was the hardest part of the install.

In Cabin:

Engine bay, battery removed:

I got lazy and didn't want to disassemble the fusebox... but it's up to you if you want to make a clean install and tuck the wire in the factory harness guide. This require loosening/removing battery tray.

Here's the end result of what goes on in the fusebox. Make sure connections are secure and any bare metal is covered as best as possible. If you use the right amount/gauge of wire, you can tuck the relay into the hole and the fuse box will close with no issues.

An idea of what you'll see in cabin. I have additional accessories and crap so there's more wiring floating around.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Completed:

OEM Factory Fog Harness:

Fog On - Independent

Parking + Fog

Parking + Low + Fog

Parking + Low + Fog + High

AutoExe!

Yep, all of this to retain the factory fog stalk and ability to use factory harness. It's probably 1000 times easier to run an aux relay w/ an external switch.... but that's no fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did the same think, but had to put an extra switch and run wiring harness to the fog lights. Can you give some more details on the wiring, since your setup is much cleaner. Thx.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still working on the car... Will get pics up later tonight if I finish putting everything back together.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, DIY thread finished. For those that know what they're doing, just look at the crappy schematic pic in post #2 ....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just for my sanity, is there any reason we can't directly connect the brown stalk wire to 86 connector on the relay in the engine bay. It the purpose of the relay in the cabin to make sure the fog lights turn off when car is turned off?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did the same thing for my old Civic and Subarus, but they were just basic on/off relay systems.

The fogs on this car are controlled by the Front BCM and the interior relay bypasses that. I also tried connecting the wire from the stalk to the oem relay w/ +12v from the fusebox and it didn't do anything on my car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Uhh.. Some LED module I found on Amazon as the DRL block on my bumper.

And yes, resistors for the turn signal because I'm not a fan of they hyperflash.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This mod does not, but if you wire it to an unswitched 12v power supply then yes, you can run it whenever.

I used a switched power supply so it doesn't kill my battery if I leave the lights on and exit my car

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would love to be able to use my led drl's and signature grille... No way to do that now unless car is in drive.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok guys good write up now see if you can understand what I’m going to write ok I have some eBay DRL lights that are LED and turn yellow when connected to the signal light wires now what I want to do is just run the hot wire to the fuse box when I turn the car on they will turn on I do want to run a extra in line fuse now do you guys think it will be ok?
Thanks! RJ

Now I’m just sharing this because some member mentioned about having a signature series grill well I bought two LED Tube lights that fit perfect on my 2017 Mazda 6 Touring the light tube will fit from where the chrome starts by the headlights to the center of the license plate so one could make the connection behind the plate and it won’t be seen but the only thing is since my 6 is just the Touring the Tube led will be exposed but when one is in it the carvthe Tube will be well lite even in the day it’s bright maybe brighter than the Grand Touring grill light.

Here’s another one now that I’m here does our 2017 Mazda 6 Touring have a tweeter and if so where is it or is it just the paper cone on the door speaker?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts