Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Why does nothing in the diy section show up show up in active topics?????? i had no idea this thread was blowing up lol....
Those are cheap....Holy hell....I see where u found the link now @Mr.Smoke lol

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
DIY: Make Your Own L.e.d Rear Reflectors

Why does nothing in the diy section show up show up in active topics?????? i had no idea this thread was blowing up lol....
Those are cheap....Holy hell....I see where u found the link now @Mr.Smoke lol
No idea why its not in active topics man. 6OTM stuff & 3rd gen stuff isnt either. Instead of clicking active topics, click todays posts to see everything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts

Well i finally got around to cutting my reflectors apart today & installing the LED strips in there.

Now just gotta test em out in the dark to see if the nightshade needs to come off. Thanks to @justsomeguy for the write up @sonicblue6 for hookin me up with the LED's. Hoping to get them wired up tomorrow if weather isnt too bad.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I like this. Since ill have all my reflectors and such out during the wrap I might have to go for it.

Reactions: Mr.Smoke

·
Registered
614 Posts
@Mr.Smoke which LED strips did you use? I got some off of eBay to do this project, but they're too weak and you can't see them too well thru the reflector.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts

@Mr.Smoke which LED strips did you use? I got some off of eBay to do this project, but they're too weak and you can't see them too well thru the reflector.
@Knupsel & i both had the same issues with the ebay strips. A local member had bought a bunch of the strip pictured below & had lots left over so he hooked me up with some. You gotta get the strips with the bigger, brighter diodes like these. This still shines through even with like 4 coats of nightshade on my reflectors.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Noice, thx man. Ill look for some on superbrightleds.com, I wasn't sure how bright to go haha. Are those waterproofed though?

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts

Noice, thx man. Ill look for some on superbrightleds.com, I wasn't sure how bright to go haha. Are those waterproofed though?
I believe they are waterproof ya. They have that clear silicone kinda protector on top of the strip. They are waterproofed when you silicone them into the reflectors though.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts

Looks great!
Except I would try to get the LEDs all the way from one side to the other from the reflector
Other than that it looks great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Ya i woulda like to have more in there but i only had enough to put that many in each reflector. Im really pleased with them & cant wait to see how good they look at night!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
For wiring help, I found this sometime ago when I was trying to do this same thing. Here is link to PDF:

Rear Reflector for Mazda 6 Installation Instructions

Thought i could open them up with a heat gun but that was super difficult. Think ill try this style this weekend. Still have the LED strips I purchased a while back.

What kind of silicone did you guys use? Just clear kind from Home Depot or Lowe's?

And did you cut them out with a knife or dremmel?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
For wiring help, I found this sometime ago when I was trying to do this same thing. Here is link to PDF:

Rear Reflector for Mazda 6 Installation Instructions

Thought i could open them up with a heat gun but that was super difficult. Think ill try this style this weekend. Still have the LED strips I purchased a while back.

What kind of silicone did you guys use? Just clear kind from Home Depot or Lowe's?

And did you cut them out with a knife or dremmel?
Any silicone would be sufficient and I used a grinder to grind the plastic out and wouldn't worry about cutting through the light I would use a dremmel a knife would take you days lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
I just used a knife....... It didn't take that long :) I put the LED strip in then siliconed after.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They can be easily cut apart with a utility knife. Just start slow and get a score going then go to town. You'll start to hear a cracking sound... That means you're almost done. Just make sure you do both sides equally otherwise you could potentially crack part if the lense if you try and only do one side at a time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Not all of us have dremels. :p

21 - 40 of 51 Posts