Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
BTW are the strut-to-knuckle mounting bolts one-time use? Anyone have the formal torque spec for them (if it's "X torque + 90 degrees" or something similar they are torque-to-yield and must be replaced.) The top ones usually are not but the mounting bolts to the steering knuckle are on most cars. I am fastidious about proper torque on suspension and engine fasteners and they're not very expensive if on the "must-replace" list. We might want to start collecting torque specs into a sticky thread for these cars; it'll help a lot of people out over time.
Corksport has a similar writeup here, although they use the typical spring compressor route. There are also various torque specs listed for the bolts they suggest removing. 37-43 ft lbs to answer your question.

LINK

·
Registered
114 Posts
About a week after I lowered my car onto Tanabe springs, my BSM OFF light started flashing. When I took it to the dealership to take care of the TPMS recall, I also told them to take a look at the BSM and see why it's malfunctioning. They said the BSM needs to be recalibrated because the vehicle was lowered. Is this normal? And why didn't the sensor stop working once I lowered the car?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
BSM never gave me an issue after lowering my 2g since 2009.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine went horribly wrong lol. If you have not done springs before, I suggest you take it to a shop.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I really hate to bump an old thread - but I can't find a 17mm strut nut socket anywhere.

Does anybody have a part number or better yet a link to the socket shown in the OP's post?

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Look for a pass thru ratchet; Crafsmen has 3/8" for about $25

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm ordering my h&r springs just curious how long would I be looking to install these? Maybe 2 hrs?

14' REFLEX 6 GT

·
Registered
704 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm ordering my h&r springs just curious how long would I be looking to install these? Maybe 2 hrs?

14' REFLEX 6 GT
If your doing just springs, yep about 2 hours.

Be careful when undoing the strut bolts... Don't let the spindle drop! Fricken thing popped out my axle and took 45 minutes to pop it back in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your doing just springs, yep about 2 hours.

Be careful when undoing the strut bolts... Don't let the spindle drop! Fricken thing popped out my axle and took 45 minutes to pop it back in.

Shit!! Thanks for the tip bro, will do. I will post pics when its all dialed in.. Quick question.. I was thinking of also putting some 10mm Spacers to bring the wheels out some when its dropped... What do you think?

14' REFLEX 6 GT

·
Registered
704 Posts
Shit!! Thanks for the tip bro, will do. I will post pics when its all dialed in.. Quick question.. I was thinking of also putting some 10mm Spacers to bring the wheels out some when its dropped... What do you think?

14' REFLEX 6 GT
If you're on stock wheels, the general consensus is 15mm front and 20mm rear. You WILL need extended studs to do this. 5mm on stock bolts is OK, 10mm you've gotten into a dangerous area with stock studs. There might not be enough threads to safely tighten down the wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you're on stock wheels, the general consensus is 15mm front and 20mm rear. You WILL need extended studs to do this. 5mm on stock bolts is OK, 10mm you've gotten into a dangerous area with stock studs. There might not be enough threads to safely tighten down the wheels.

Okay. So its wise to say I should get all that the same time while I do the springs.. Know a good vender to buy those through? Keeping stock wheels for awhile... Really dig the hypersilvers...

14' REFLEX 6 GT

21 - 40 of 50 Posts