Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I still love my LED light strip in the trunk. Top 5 best mod ever! LOL. Everyone should do this mod.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I still love my LED light strip in the trunk. Top 5 best mod ever! LOL. Everyone should do this mod.
Hell yah to that man. Im just glad I got shipped an extra strip at no charge. Dont understand how they could throw 3 strips in an envelope and not realize that I only ordered 2,but Im not complaining,had they not I would have nevr done this.

I like the fact that it was so simple to do and only took me a couple minutes to do in very dimmly lit conditions.

Simplest and possibly quiccest way to get some decent lighting in the trunk,although if I did have the time and patience,Id opt for Drizzohs way and run a ccfl for some awesome lighting.lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was able to tap into the wire without removing the deck lid. Pulled some extra wire down through the rectangular hole where the black bundle of wires connects to the pre-wired plug mounted on roof of trunk....turned out great. Much better than that horrible excuse for a light #74 bulb Mazda decided to throw in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did something like this not too long ago but I just used a 12" 5k white led strip. Had an extra that got shipped with my original order and being that my ouny trunk bulb had burnt out a while ago,I figured Id use the strip for the trunk. Big diff compared to the stocc bulb.

Seeing as I didnt want to remove the rear decj to get access to the wiring,I just popped out the burnt bulb,bent the bulb connects up and twisted the led strip connects straight to the bulb and stucc the bulb back in and voila...let there be light.

The bulb cover made a good place to hide the wires in as well. May not be as bright as the ccfl,but hey,it does the tricc. Lol.

Dont mind the mess in the trunk. It has since been cleaned and looking immaculate. Lol

Hey man, what did you mean by "bent the bulb connects up? Are you talking inside the black little plastic holder thing? I'm not good with electrical but I would love to do this mod

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey man, what did you mean by "bent the bulb connects up? Are you talking inside the black little plastic holder thing? I'm not good with electrical but I would love to do this mod
It was late n I was too lazy to fiddle around with actually wiring in the strip to the trunk wiring,so what I did was,since my stocc #74 bulb was already burnt out,I popped the bulb out n bent the contacts on the bulb up so that I could thread the +/- wires for the strip thru the contact loops. I then bent the contacts back down and plugged the bulb bak in.Didnt light up the first try,so I took the bulb bak out n flipped and voila,easy led mod with no need to remove the panel or splice wires.

Hope this helps,if pics would help illustrate,lmk. Ill be more than happy to take some to show what I mean. Sounds a little confusing. Lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
It was late n I was too lazy to fiddle around with actually wiring in the strip to the trunk wiring,so what I did was,since my stocc #74 bulb was already burnt out,I popped the bulb out n bent the contacts on the bulb up so that I could thread the +/- wires for the strip thru the contact loops. I then bent the contacts back down and plugged the bulb bak in.Didnt light up the first try,so I took the bulb bak out n flipped and voila,easy led mod with no need to remove the panel or splice wires.

Hope this helps,if pics would help illustrate,lmk. Ill be more than happy to take some to show what I mean. Sounds a little confusing. Lol
Sadly, I think pics would help big time because I think I'm imagining something completely different than what you actually mean hahaha if it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sadly, I think pics would help big time because I think I'm imagining something completely different than what you actually mean hahaha if it's not too much trouble, that would be awesome
I did mine the same way. Here is a picture

Green arrows: bend these metal pins
Red arrow: remove the LED with the pins connected

You will have the white plastic hollow connector. Put two wires through it where the pins on the LED were and bend them the same way. Done. I added some epoxy inside the hollow connector so the wires stay in place.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I did mine the same way. Here is a picture

Green arrows: bend these metal pins
Red arrow: remove the LED with the pins connected

You will have the white plastic hollow connector. Put two wires through it where the pins on the LED were and bend them the same way. Done. I added some epoxy inside the hollow connector so the wires stay in place.

Thank you, is it positive wires that get fed through or one positive one negative?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Update: figured it out before response. I was kinda amped to try this so I went to walmart (I know I know) and got the 2 pack of 4" white led strips and here's how she looks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey, new here, so pls forgive me if this has already been asked... but I have a 2006 mazda 6 and would love to have lights in my trunk.. but, as far as I know.. there isn't an already installed trunk light? does some models just not have a trunk light? I'm wanting to put 2 red LED strips as I already have red strips in the interior of my car..

im not able to see the pics in the original post.. so not sure how to wire the LED strips to the trunk.. anyways, thanks for any help.. been wanting to do this for a while now

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey, new here, so pls forgive me if this has already been asked... but I have a 2006 mazda 6 and would love to have lights in my trunk.. but, as far as I know.. there isn't an already installed trunk light? does some models just not have a trunk light? I'm wanting to put 2 red LED strips as I already have red strips in the interior of my car..

im not able to see the pics in the original post.. so not sure how to wire the LED strips to the trunk.. anyways, thanks for any help.. been wanting to do this for a while now

As far as I know, all mazda 6's come with a trunk light.. Maybe yours is just out and don't notice it? It's behind the plastic casing if you open your trunk and look up kinda center right... You have to pinch together the case and pull and there should be a bulb in there... As for the mod, you'll need to buy an LED of that number bulb and take the bulb apart and run the wires through the bulb casing to act as if the wires are part of the bulb then slide the bulb back in as you normally would and viola it works.. But I think first things first you'd have to get an LED bulb to replace with the stock one. Search eBay for LED bulb size 74 and it should be a small led and should be able to get for cheap too. I got a pair for $3 or something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As far as I know, all mazda 6's come with a trunk light.. Maybe yours is just out and don't notice it? It's behind the plastic casing if you open your trunk and look up kinda center right... You have to pinch together the case and pull and there should be a bulb in there... As for the mod, you'll need to buy an LED of that number bulb and take the bulb apart and run the wires through the bulb casing to act as if the wires are part of the bulb then slide the bulb back in as you normally would and viola it works.. But I think first things first you'd have to get an LED bulb to replace with the stock one. Search eBay for LED bulb size 74 and it should be a small led and should be able to get for cheap too. I got a pair for $3 or something.
let me know if this link works or not, if not, ill post a pic..
2X 30cm 12" Car 12V 15LEDS SMD 335 Side Emitting Tail Brake LED Strip Light Red | eBay

that's what I was wanting to maybe do.. 2 strips coming from trunk light.. I was able to manually wire some in my prev car (civic) but didn't know if it was the same procedure.. ill have to check and see if the light is even back there tomorrow.. just figured it didn't have one lol

·
Registered
244 Posts
let me know if this link works or not, if not, ill post a pic..
2X 30cm 12" Car 12V 15LEDS SMD 335 Side Emitting Tail Brake LED Strip Light Red | eBay

that's what I was wanting to maybe do.. 2 strips coming from trunk light.. I was able to manually wire some in my prev car (civic) but didn't know if it was the same procedure.. ill have to check and see if the light is even back there tomorrow.. just figured it didn't have one lol

Yeah that'd work but you still need the shell of the led to make the wires sit in where the old bulb was and get power..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah that'd work but you still need the shell of the led to make the wires sit in where the old bulb was and get power..
sorry for the 20 questions.. haven't done any mods whatsoever to my mazda and really would love to start. the way I did my other one was remove the original bulb all together and use both the hot and ground wires to hook up the strips. ill see whats in there tomorrow and go from there. I think it will look sick if I can get it to work out right :D

thanks for the help so far..

·
Registered
244 Posts
sorry for the 20 questions.. haven't done any mods whatsoever to my mazda and really would love to start. the way I did my other one was remove the original bulb all together and use both the hot and ground wires to hook up the strips. ill see whats in there tomorrow and go from there. I think it will look sick if I can get it to work out right :D

thanks for the help so far..

No problem, I was at that point once so I know how it goes... These are the LED's I used and removed the LED itself and kept the White Shell to fee the wires through WHITE LED 74 BULBS

·
Registered
51 Posts
No problem, I was at that point once so I know how it goes... These are the LED's I used and removed the LED itself and kept the White Shell to fee the wires through WHITE LED 74 BULBS
sweet, thanks.. im sure that will look a lot better than what I had done prior.. there was a nice little area to tuck the wires in last time I did it lol.. I was in a rush, don't judge me. haha.. but yea, ill get on it soon. its rainin out now, so ill check hopefully a little later once it clears up

·
Registered
51 Posts
anndd stuck..

ok, got the led strips ordered, should be here maybe tomorrow, and was able to get pics of whats currently in the trunk. no bulb.. just a connector.. heres the pics..

pretty sure I cant use the strips directly through that.. so kinda stuck.. any help is appreciated..

·
Registered
51 Posts
yea, that was my bad.. had no clue what that plug was for. thanks to a buddy on here, I found out it has nothing to do with a trunk light, but also found out that my trunk light is jacked.

this pic is where the light is supposed to be:

and as you can tell, there's nothing there. I was wanting to just use a bulb to install my LED strips, that came today btw :( but not lookin to good for me. not sure what I can do now. so they are just sitting in my car.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts