Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i have two blue led strips at the top of my trunk. match's all the blue LED stuff on my stereo equipment back there. i just tapped right into the wiring. took like 5 min to do. :) i even bought the strips at autozone on clearence for like $2 bux. lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Drizz, I noticed you took off the rear deck without removing the rear pillars. Everywhere else I have looked people are saying that you have to take them off. Is it just a little harder to get it out with them in place, but really not worth it to take them off. From what I have seen, it seems to be a PITA to take it off and obviously I would like to avoid that if possible.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
^^ Wow just saw that comment. Sorry man. You can take off the pillars easily if you pop out that little square cover that says ABS on it. There's a single bolt behind that. remove it and the pillars come out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (xxxmonoxidechild @ May 16 2009, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1561397
i have two blue led strips at the top of my trunk. match's all the blue LED stuff on my stereo equipment back there. i just tapped right into the wiring. took like 5 min to do. :) i even bought the strips at autozone on clearence for like $2 bux. lol.[/b]

So you just tapped into the wires for the stock trunk light?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Very interesting!

Should be easier on a hatch. No rear deck to be hassled by....at least not one that can't be removed in less than 5 seconds

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
QUOTE (Dailey @ Jan 9 2010, 07:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628413
So you just tapped into the wires for the stock trunk light?[/b]
Yes, the brown is the hot lead and the black is the ground.

QUOTE (Spazdog @ Jan 9 2010, 09:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1628429
Very interesting!

Should be easier on a hatch. No rear deck to be hassled by....at least not one that can't be removed in less than 5 seconds[/b]
There's a how-to on 6crew for upgrading the stock trunk lighting.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I need to do this to my car to get better lighting in my trunk. Stock lighting sucks!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Because you used the stock wiring, no new fuses were needed correct?

Would love to see the pics so I can get started myself.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Did something like this not too long ago but I just used a 12" 5k white led strip. Had an extra that got shipped with my original order and being that my ouny trunk bulb had burnt out a while ago,I figured Id use the strip for the trunk. Big diff compared to the stocc bulb.

Seeing as I didnt want to remove the rear decj to get access to the wiring,I just popped out the burnt bulb,bent the bulb connects up and twisted the led strip connects straight to the bulb and stucc the bulb back in and voila...let there be light.

The bulb cover made a good place to hide the wires in as well. May not be as bright as the ccfl,but hey,it does the tricc. Lol.

Dont mind the mess in the trunk. It has since been cleaned and looking immaculate. Lol

Attachments

21 - 40 of 60 Posts