Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of switching the interior lights to LED's in my 2011 6 i touring plus. But, does anybody know if there is a complete kit, or do you have to piece this project together. Also......is it a dummy proof project? lol

Skip

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I guess I should have checked EBAY first. Found a complete kit there. Hopefully they are the right ones (not eenough post to put link).

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Just an FYI - Don't be surprised if the fleaBay bulbs burn out within as little as a couple weeks - there's a reason they're (usually) super cheap.

@Mz6GreyGhost would know the bulbs better than I would so hopefully he can chime in for you.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an FYI - Don't be surprised if the fleaBay bulbs burn out within as little as a couple weeks - there's a reason they're (usually) super cheap.

@Mz6GreyGhost would know the bulbs better than I would so hopefully he can chime in for you.
good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Probably not a good idea to buy a kit that's only 16.00 bucks...lol. I've been checking out the forum sponser, they seem to have everything I'm thinking about.

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
Probably not a good idea to buy a kit that's only 16.00 bucks...lol. I've been checking out the forum sponser, they seem to have everything I'm thinking about.
If you're talking about Diode - take them with a grain of salt. While their products are high quality (I tested their reverse and fog LEDs and still run the reverse), they aren't the only LED source out there.

Personally, I love Autolumination - Their website is garbage and sketchy, but in almost 7 years of running their bulbs I've only had a single one go out on me, and that was because it was a license plate light that got filled with water.

SuperBrightLEDs and V-LEDs are also excellent sources. As long as you have the bulb number (many of the interior bulbs on a 6 are #194 ), you can get the bulb anywhere. Double check bulb sizes for the 2nd gen though, as I don't know them off-hand.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I started looking at them, but I will definately check out your other suggestions. Good looking out, thanks.
By the way, is this a pretty easy project for the mechanically disabled????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, I started looking at them, but I will definately check out your other suggestions. Good looking out, thanks.
By the way, is this a pretty easy project for the mechanically disabled????
Yes it is pretty easy, I got the LED's seperately from amazon instead of buying a kit. The little plastics are easy to take off just get something flat and plastic like a an old credit card (or a skweejee for a screen protector like I did) to pop the cover off and its just a matter of switching the bulbs like switching batteries on a tv remote.

Reactions: Skip6

·
Registered
74 Posts
Many offer interior LED kits but make sure it comes complete. If you have vanity lights make sure they are included. Nothing worse than having some LED's and some stock yellow bulbs in other areas.

I would say that LED reverse light bulbs are important too. You want the area lit up when backing up and if you get bulbs with a lot of lumens you'll be happy.

Like mentioned eBay sells some really crappy LED's. The best Company is JDM, spend the extra money and buy this brand. I removed an eBay LED interior kit and replaced with JDM, the difference is huge.

Here are some JDM LED pics. Most LED bulbs can't compete with HID's but the JDM brand does, check out the fog light pic.

Mazda 6 LED interior by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

2017-07-15_10-17-23 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr

·
Registered
782 Posts
Honestly, don't waste your money buying all-in-one kits. Get higher quality individual LEDs from reputable manufacturers (I'd recommend Philips, JDM AStar and VLEDs) and you'll be much happier in the long run. At the end of the day, all you're doing is replacing light bulbs. If you know how to change a light bulb, you got this...

Step 1. Look up the bulbs you need using the excellent Osram database: Lamp Replacement Guide Home

Step 2. Shop for the right bulb sizes on Amazon (for Philips and JDM AStar), www.jdmastar.com and www.vleds.com

Step 3. When the bulbs arrive, open the bulb housings on your car and simply swap the bulbs out.

Step 4. Enjoy the great results! I've upgraded the interior lighting to LED on all of my car, and absolutely love it. LED makes a big difference. I'll be updating some (not all) of the exterior bulbs this year. The places where it makes the most sense to go LED are foglights, driving lights and reverse lights. You won't get much bang by replacing the bulbs that are behind colored lenses (e.g., turn signals, etc.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts