Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I figured I would write up a how to for those other out there that think that the taillights on the 6 just look too blaa,

Supplies:
Painters tape. 1 roll
newspaper, paper bags or packing paper.
1 can of Night Shades
Rubbing Alcohol
Lint free Cloth

(Most important get everything you will need out of your trunk!!!)

Steps: Start in a well ventilated area where you will not be subject to crosswinds or dust. I prefer backing into a garage.

1:Tape around the taillight making sure that you get the tape well behind the plastic.

use a piece of paper to make sure that the tape adhered to the body.

2: Make a layer around the taillight of approximately 2-3 inched of painters tape.

3: Make sure you have enough newspaper and start attaching it around the taillights.

Make sure you fill any gaps, lol.

4: Shake that can for 10 minutes!

5:Start by practicing your technique on a piece of cardboard until you feel like you can lay down a good even layer. (Hint: The further the can is away from your target the more even your spray will be. I try to keep and 12-18 distance from my target.

6: Rub down the Taillight thoroughly with alcohol. If you touch the taillights do it again till you can be sure that all residue and oil is off the Assembly. CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT THIS STEP IS!!! If you do not keep clean it your work will be spotty.

7: Make sure to shake the can some more. Then start putting down layers spraying spraying the paper at beginning and end of the taillight with each pass. This will keep your tint uniform. Wait a few minutes between each layer and make sure to do small layers each pass otherwise you will end up with orange peal and a crap taillight that you will need to wet sand and buff for hours. Shake the can between each pass. Remember that you don't have to use much of this stuff either. I have used 1 can for 3 cars now and still have more than half a can.

8: Let sit for at least 12 hours (if you missed any areas if so go back to set 6). Then remove the tape and you should have a perfectly shiny taillight that looks like its been polished already. (if you went too dark you can wet sand them a little to brighten them up.)

9:Bask in the glory of your work

10: About 2 weeks later you can wax them to really make them shine. Buff if needed then too.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
looks good. When i did mine on my car (not 3rd gen) i just removed the tail light assemblies to paint them off the car. It was easier than taping and masking and allows for better access to painting from different angles and what not for evenness.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
looks good. When i did mine on my car (not 3rd gen) i just removed the tail light assemblies to paint them off the car. It was easier than taping and masking and allows for better access to painting from different angles and what not for evenness.
^^ This!
But then again some people are reluctant to take their 2014 car apart Lol
I however would be more reluctant to risk getting VHT on the body!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ This!
But then again some people are reluctant to take their 2014 car apart Lol
I however would be more reluctant to risk getting VHT on the body!
I have done both since this is a two piece unit leaving them on seamed to give a more even coat across both pats of each unit. As far as those who are in places that they are illegal (they are here too) look at some of the luxury brands and how dark they are making theirs from the factory. You can put on a light coat and it still makes a huge difference. Mine is actually a lot lighter than it looks in the pictures and you would swear it was stock. Just take your time and they'll turn out awesome. I've done 3 cars now and still have half a can or more of tint. Lol

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Yeah i still have about 3/4 of a can (if not more) left after doing mine lol

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Has anyone done the same but with film tint?

I want to be able to remove the tint afterwards in case of anything without having to purchase new tail lights...
Spray tint comes off with paint thinner without damaging the lights.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've used Night Shades before now i have the Film Tints on i must say i like the Film better...
I tested film today (came out kinda crappy so I removed it) and at first I thought I scratched the whole film but then saw there was a plastic film on top of the actual film too. Looked waaaayyy better after that removal.

Btw after u wash it off with alcohol, so you use soapy water prior to application? I find that it causes a lot more air bubbles in the end...

Thoughts or advice?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
905 Posts
I tested film today (came out kinda crappy so I removed it) and at first I thought I scratched the whole film but then saw there was a plastic film on top of the actual film too. Looked waaaayyy better after that removal.

Btw after u wash it off with alcohol, so you use soapy water prior to application? I find that it causes a lot more air bubbles in the end...

Thoughts or advice?

You're right bro, i did the same thing alchol then soapy water, don't worry about the small air bubbles you get it'll go away as the tint set bro. Post some pics bro.

Good luck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
You're right bro, i did the same thing alchol then soapy water, don't worry about the small air bubbles you get it'll go away as the tint set bro. Post some pics bro.

Good luck!
Only had enough to put on the body lights since I spent most of the roll through trial and error.

getting a new roll in but looking to replace the body one as well since I have jagged edges from the cutting.

any advice on how to get the film to go in nicely on the edges?

I try heating up and immediately using the squeegee to push that sucker in the edge.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only had enough to put on the body lights since I spent most of the roll through trial and error.

getting a new roll in but looking to replace the body one as well since I have jagged edges from the cutting.

any advice on how to get the film to go in nicely on the edges?

I try heating up and immediately using the squeegee to push that sucker in the edge.

Go buy a bottle of quick detail spray. It makes it easier to apply the tint as you can move the film around on the taillights. Then squeegee it on and cut your rough edges with a very sharp razor blade. Moving it up and down as you work your way around. As far as how it turns out I have now been to happy with the film simply because I tried it on a car that had much more shape (bmw 128i) than the mazda6. And it was almost impossible for me to get it to turn out how I wanted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Go buy a bottle of quick detail spray. It makes it easier to apply the tint as you can move the film around on the taillights. Then squeegee it on and cut your rough edges with a very sharp razor blade. Moving it up and down as you work your way around. As far as how it turns out I have now been to happy with the film simply because I tried it on a car that had much more shape (bmw 128i) than the mazda6. And it was almost impossible for me to get it to turn out how I wanted.

Did you utilize a heat gun to be able to mold around the edges?

The film I have is kinda thick but malleable when heated up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts