Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
is there a specific kind of relay that i would need to turn them off with my headlights on? and what wires do u have hooked up to the "turn-off with headlights on" relay pins?
also, what can i do to make the switchback flash "amber-on, amber-off, amber-on, amber-off" instead of "amber-on, white-on, amber-on, white-on"?
Any 12 Volt automotive relay (commonly referred to as "Bosch style") will work. Since the headlight fuses (in the engine compartment) only have power when the headlights are on, I installed a tap-a-fuse to the left headlight fuse that runs to one side of the relay coil - the other side of the relay coil goes to ground. The power to your white switchback lead is then connected to the "common" and "normally closed" contacts on the relay. When the relay is energized (by turning on the headlights,) the connection will be disconnected and turn off your switchbacks.

Here's an amazon link to a relay that will work:

Amazon.com: Car Auto Truck Relay & Socket SPDT 12V 12 Volt DC 40A AMP 5Pin: Car Electronics

Here's an amazon link to a tap-a-fuse that will work:

Amazon.com: WirthCo 30103 Tapa Circuit for ATM Mini Fuse Blocks: Automotive

Regarding changing the switchbacks from Amber-Off to Amber-White, that is not possible - you'd have to buy different switchback bulbs.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Do you have a pic of what you broke off? Having a difficult time figuring out which set of tabs it is. Thanks.
bjclements, are you referring to my original post or one of mmcorange's replies? Other than completely modding the bulb holder as shown in the OP, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
also, what can i do to make the switchback flash "amber-on, amber-off, amber-on, amber-off" instead of "amber-on, white-on, amber-on, white-on"?
Typically this is determined by the switchbacks used.. some flash A/W/A/W.. some flash A/Off/A/Off..

Usually the listing should provide some way of telling the difference. If your bulbs work one way and you want them to work the other way, you probably have to buy new switchbacks designed that way.
There is a way to fix that using electronics, but it is much more complicated.

Do you have a pic of what you broke off? Having a difficult time figuring out which set of tabs it is. Thanks.
bjclements, are you referring to my original post or one of mmcorange's replies? Other than completely modding the bulb holder as shown in the OP, I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Yea, I'm not sure what is being asked either.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
5 Participants
mmceorange
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing