Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How To Install Hella Supertones

Hey guys, finally had the time to make a tutorial on setting up some Hella Supertones.

Before I get started on it, let me just say that the purchase was well worth it and I've since gotten a few compliments on them. Anyway, this guide shows you how to remove the bumper, the front grill, and how to install the supertones. (NOTE: this is a long guide explained in excruciating detail for those who need it. If you're not one of them, you could probably just skim the pix)

Start by popping up the hood to access the numerous bolts and screws. All you need here is a philips and flat screwdriver, and a 10 or 8mm socket wrench (i may be wrong about the size, it's been a while). They're circled in green and some may not even need to be unscrewed. But I didn't know which ones were needed so I took the couple seconds extra and did them anyway.

This push-pin thing was by far the most annoying as I didn't know how to remove it. It's an even bigger bitch to put back in...

After doing so, you're going to need to remove the screws that secure the plastic cover on the bottom of the car. remove all the screws, including three that sit in the wheel well.

At this point the bumper is still attached by metal clips on the side of the headlight. Gently pull the bumper out starting from the side, then proceed to pull out from beneath the headlight, and finally remove the whole piece.

I put newspaper between the bumper and the headlights so I wouldn't accidentally pull too hard and scratch the lights.

So now with the bumper completely removed, I started working on the mounting brackets for the horns. I used the three brackets that came with it, secured into my desired angle with a bolt, washer, and nut (represented with blue circles). I attached attached the bracket onto the bolting point that secures the hood latch. (green circles)

now where I mounted the horns, there was a electrical connector covered by a metal shield. I removed the shield in hopes that the horns would be enough to cover the wires. I don't know what this is, however, and if somebody does then please tell me! I taped it up after I took the picture to be safe.

Now with the horns attached, it's time to wire them up. Follow the instructions from the box. If you don't understand it, google it. it's pretty basic. I placed my relay next to the battery, but looking back I had to run a bunch of long wires going to the relay and a short wire from the relay to the grounding spot. I would suggest putting the relay closer to the horns, so you don't have wires running everywhere.

to avoid having wires everywhere, I ran them underneath the metal frame.
the green depicts where the wires are running unseen. I also later redid the wiring to the relay as it was a messy job (It was getting late and i just wanted to finish the job).

Now you're basically done!

Now this step is OPTIONAL:

I thought the look of the horns would be improved if they were more visible. So I decided to remove the black plastic grill piece.
I simply took off the chrome Mazda badge, secured by clips, and proceeded to use a slotted screwdriver to pick away at all the clips on the grill.

Check to see if your horns work and put everything back together. NOW YOU'RE DONE!! Here is the end result. Beautiful, no? :yesnod:

·
Registered
614 Posts
awesome tutorial man. i agree that it looks way better without the black grill piece. i'm thinking about getting some and doing blue.

Reactions: 6NGUY3N

·
Super Moderator
18,137 Posts
Nice Tutorial, they look great behind the grill. Moved thread to correct section :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for moving Byakuya!

One important thing i forgot to mention though: when you remove the black grill, you'll have to find some way to attach the top grill trim (the piece that sits right above the horns) to the bumper. I used 3m double sided tape, but only had 4 contact points.
So one day, while I was driving on the freeway, it actually flew off... :(
So I would suggest using zip ties as an easy fix, as I just ordered a new piece and have yet to figure out a better way to attach it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts