Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow 6ers,

I recently replaced my headlight lenses, and would like to share with you my success. After much worrying about failure for nearly a year, I decided to just go ahead and do it with faith and courage. My lenses were so opaque that not only was it nasty, but was starting to become a driving hazard. I researched heavily on the matter for a long time, yet no posts were found on the net. So i had to prepare myself before executing this task.

Btw, I tried to restore the headlights on multiple occasions, but the plastic was damaged through and through, and nothing improved.

The job took me approx 8 hours, mainly because i was walking back and forth to my tool box, and was extremely cautious during the separation and replacement phases. It was a pain in the behind but well worth it. I did sacrifice some quality time with the wife, and therefore, she held a grudge against my 6 until i lent her the car for a day - she's at peace with it now. :grin2:

In a nutshell:

1 - I bought the lenses online
2 - I used a heat gun (black and decker), not the oven technique
3 - I sealed the units with black rtv automotive silicone (Permatex)

I bought the lenses at oemxenonshop for $120.00 shipped to Canada. It was a simple matter of emailing the contact with the car details, and voila, 2 weeks later they were in my possession. They hibernated in my basement for nearly a year.

I decided to use a heat gun instead of the oven because A) they didn't fit in the oven B) I don't want to mess around with the removal of the wiring C) I don't want toxic fumes in the house.

Very simply:

1) I secured the unit to the table with zip ties / tie wraps, lens facing sky.

2) I removed the retaining clips

3) I ran the heat gun across the entire seam over and over gradually for 5 minutes approx

4) With a long flathead resting on the edge of the lens, I started pushing upwards while still running the heat gun along the side seams of the lens.

5) As it started to separate, i kept pushing and heating the adhesive until the lens was completely loose.

* I had to be careful as the stretched glue was going to fall onto the insides parts. I used my fingers to pull that away.

6) Dismantled the parts secured to the removed lens, and refit them back onto the new lens.

7) Removed the old gunk from the base of the unit and applied the fresh silicone in the groove. I didn't remove all of the old adhesive, but as much as possible. Flattened the adhesive in the groove by sliding a flathead in the groove at the end.

8) Inserted the new lens and pressed in a bit. Then distributed the excess silicone back into the gaps that needed some to complete the seal. Re-attached the clips.

9) Back on the 6, then big grin with beer in hand.

* I discovered that alcohol safely removed very easily some silicone smears on the lights and body of car.

Without further ado, here are some pictures. Good luck and enjoy!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,117 Posts
Nice write-up. They looks 100x better! If you have links to the new lenses you bought I'm sure people would appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ByaKuya, and thanks for the kind words! The difference is even more noticeable with the old headlights on the car before the repair. It's as if my 6 got new eye-glasses! Hahaha.

Anyway, as per your request, here is the direct link to the lenses, which also shows other components for sale.
I can't post links at the moment due to account restrictions so you just need to add the "www" at the beginning and the "html" at the end.....and change the DOT to a "." :

oemxenonshopDOTcom/Mazda-6-Xenon-Front-Headlight-Problems-Ballast-Bulb-Igniter-OEM-HID-Replacement

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,587 Posts
Excellent work! I debated doing this as well but after a few rounds with wet sanding and polishing I was able to mostly bring mine back. Bright lights are much safer and it makes your already sharp looking rider even nicer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the flattering words Dr Feel Good! Big grin on my face. I'm super proud of my 6....can't find a suitable replacement! Just can't find good looking and affordable v6 mtx sedans these days, so I'm keeping this baby. Thx for boosting my pride lol. Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far no fogging. I'll update you after a few rain sessions. Man I'm so glad i did them. I encourage anyone to do the replacement...it's worth every effort.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,587 Posts
Great to know! I want to put hid optics in my 04 wagon and would need to separate the lenses to do so. It's good to have a solid write up like this.
I did this conversion in my 04 as well. I went with the DDM slimline kit with 4500k @50w and am completely satisfied. I did not open the cases and am running them in the halogen projectors. I have never been flashed and doing a test with my wife (driving towards each other, she in my car and me in hers) tells me there is no real variation from any other car on the road.

In the parking garage next to a new IS250, Cadillac Escalade or Acura TL I can tell my cut-off is not as clean but I am completely happy given the level of work and investment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great to know! I want to put hid optics in my 04 wagon and would need to separate the lenses to do so. It's good to have a solid write up like this.
Thanks very much for the kind words, I'm glad it'll be of use. Good luck mate!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you for this post. Changed both my lenses on my 04 Wagon, got the job done in a little over an hour!

That heat gun really does the trick. A few minutes (if that), and it just peels apart!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are those lenses still clear ? I'm thinking that I need to replace mine soon, and you can get them from ebay 15e per side, but I'm worried about the quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys I can't find replacement lens for my 07 MS6. I found the whole assembly, which is very pricey, I only need to replace the lens.
When I bought my car , whomever did the touch paint work over sprayed clear coat on my lens. Any ideas to remove the clear coat on my headlights? Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vader6 did a great job on lens replacement DIY. I just bought a pair of lenses off ebay for $33. Followed the steps. Worked great.
I used a heat gun. Took about 3 hours for the whole job. Used GE clear silicon in a caulk tube.
After removing the lens with the heat gun, I cleaned out the old mastic from the groove by re-heating with the heat gun. Took 4 passes with a screwdriver that was an exact fit into the groove. Got 99% of the stuff out. I tried lacquer thinner and gasoline but they did not dissolve the mastic.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Vader6 did a great job on lens replacement DIY. I just bought a pair of lenses off ebay for $33. Followed the steps. Worked great.
I used a heat gun. Took about 3 hours for the whole job. Used GE clear silicon in a caulk tube.
After removing the lens with the heat gun, I cleaned out the old mastic from the groove by re-heating with the heat gun. Took 4 passes with a screwdriver that was an exact fit into the groove. Got 99% of the stuff out. I tried lacquer thinner and gasoline but they did not dissolve the mastic.
Would you happen to have a link to the ones that you got? The ones that I ordered have fitment issues. I'm not sure if it's the lenses or my buckets at this point. If yours fit well then I could just order a set and try to swap the lenses. If the new ones don't fit correctly then I know it's the housings.

It's ok to use the old sealant. One just needs to smooth it down before reassembly. If one does need to get the buytl off of anything, rubbing alcohol does good on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ebay link
eBay item number:112374784000

They did not fit perfectly on the buckets. But once glued on you can't tell the difference. The lenses don't fit exactly to the curve in the front fenders. Real close but not as good as the original lenses.
One of the screw holes in one of the lenses was not drilled. And several of the other screw holes were just a tad too big for the original screws. So I used screws there were a bit larger in diameter.
I was considering using the original sealant. But I've used the GE silicon on my other cars to glue the glass lenses back on when the original glue fails.
In the end I'm real happy with these lenses. Was a cheap fix and hopefully they will hold up for a few years.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Here's what the ebay lens looks like.
View attachment 239133
Thanks!! That answers my question. I have the same exact fitment issues with the new lenses that I have. All is good thought. I'll just pick up a 2nd set of lights and work with them next time I'm out in the junkyard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts