·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sup guys!

Just swapped out the stock head unit for this one:

ZX803 Android Head Unit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afq1ZPiPHHI

2012 Mazda CX-5 Pure Android 4.0 Capacitive Head Unit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-Car-DVD-GPS-Navigation-for-Mazda-CX-5-with-3G-Wifi-DVR-1080P-20-V-disc-/181260885804?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item2a33fd9f2c

Additional parts:

1. PAC RP4-MZ11: You'll need this for the steering wheel controls to work. Cut the 3.5mm jack that comes with this interface and wire it to Key 1, Key 2, and the Steering Wheel Ground on the new head unit. PAC RP4-MZ11 | eBay

2. GPS Antenna: GlobalSat AT-65SMA GPS Antenna: GlobalSat AT-65SMA GPS Antenna | eBay

3. Replacement USB Port: AXXESS AX-USB-35EXT: Axxess AX USB 35EXT 6 ft High Performance iPod to USB 3 5 mm Extension Cable New | eBay

4. 3.5mm adapter for the AUX: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310640917398?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

5. 3.5mm to AUX Cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Griffin-HomeConnect-iPod-MP3-Audio-A-V-AV-RCA-Composite-Cable-Video-3-5mm-10-FT-/161014073781?pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item257d2fc9b5

6. 32 GB Micro SD Card: SanDisk 32GB MicroSD HC Class 4 Flash Memory TF Card SDSDQM 032G B35 Retail 32G 619659061647 | eBay

7. Mobile Hot-Spot for wifi: https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/netgear/att-unite-white.html

8. USB Extension Cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-Ca..._USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item5afe9e5d51

Tools:

1. Screw Driver
2. Soldering Iron
3. Dremel Tool (You'll need this to cut the center compartment to install the new USB/AUX port)
4. Dash Board/Radio Pry tools: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380803214420?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
5. Heat Gun

Materials:

1. Wire Loom
2. Electrical Tape
3. Solder
4. Heat Shrink

Installation:

1. Solder the radio harness that comes with the unit to the PAC SWC (Cut the 3.5mm jack that comes with this interface and wire it to Key 1, Key 2, and the Steering Wheel Ground on the new head unit.)

2. Dremmel the center compartment for the AXXESS USB Port (see video or pic below for location)

3. Pry off and remove the decorative trim below the radio with radio pry tools

4. Pull trim off head unit

5. Remove screws that hold head unit in place. (3 screws)

6. Install AXXESS Port, and run wires to head unit. Connect 3.5mm female/female adapter to 3.5mm AV RCA Cable to the 3.5mm male of the AXXESS port. (Note: Use small O-rings in between 3.5mm connections so it can work properly. If you don't you wont get a signal to the unit)

7. Install Head Unit

Applications:

1. Power AMP
2. Tunedin
3. APEX Launcher
4. Pandora
5. Sygic Navigation

Notes:

1. Program PAC SWC FIRST!!!!!
2. Use setting on head unit to program the steering wheel

FAQ:

Q: Did you get the Commander Switch to work?
A: No, but I did notice that the wires to the head unit and the commander switch were similar. I was too fried to do it. If someone figures it out please post here.

Q: Does the OEM USB Port work?
A: No. Must use a AXXESS USB/AUX Port to interface with this unit.

Q: Where is the GPS Antenna Located?
A: Inside the center speaker.

Q: I have a BOSE System. Will this be an issue?
A: No! As a matter of fact, sound quality will greatly increase.

Q: Did you get the OEM rear camera to work with this unit?
A: Yes.

Q: Do I need to solder and heat shrink my wires?
A: YES!!!!!!

Q: Is this unit rooted?
A: No. But if you know how to do it.........PLEASE POST HERE!!!!!

Q: Where did you get the apps?
A: Google.

Here are some post-installation pics:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is sweet, thanks! I'm thinking at a minimum I'd like the keep the commander knob working (preferably without splicing cables/with an adapter harness), but I'm tempted. Btw, I've done this myself on my e90 328i, and I also couldn't program the call buttons/voice control. As I understood it, that just wouldn't work in most cars with the PAC adapter, sadly. If anyone can get those buttons to work, I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
@Android 6

Nice job installing that! To root it, since it's 4.0 stock (or appears to be according to the description on eBay) you should be able to follow this:

Although that root is technically for 4.1 it should still function. Before attempting root, please verify it's running 4.0 by going to settings, about.
Post a photo of everything on that screen so I can help you!

I saw your video summary of the unit, very nice.

A few questions:
-I'm assuming you map the buttons with a preinstalled app?
-When the car turns on/off, how long does it take to start up?
-Can you connect other devices, IE a phone via Bluetooth, to to play Music? I see the phone works, but how about Music (Spotify, for example).

Thanks so much! Welcome to the forums :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Android 6

Nice job installing that! To root it, since it's 4.0 stock (or appears to be according to the description on eBay) you should be able to follow this:
How to Root the Pure Android 4.1 Car Stereo Double Din Unit - YouTube

Although that root is technically for 4.1 it should still function. Before attempting root, please verify it's running 4.0 by going to settings, about.
Post a photo of everything on that screen so I can help you!

I saw your video summary of the unit, very nice.

A few questions:
-I'm assuming you map the buttons with a preinstalled app?
-Can you connect other devices, IE a phone via Bluetooth, to to play Music? I see the phone works, but how about Music (Spotify, for example).

Thanks so much! Welcome to the forums :)

Thanks for the response.........I've seen this vid before, but I'll try it to see if it works.

As for your questions:

I'm assuming you map the buttons with a preinstalled app?

Not an app, its a setting.

about 30-45 seconds. Longest has been 1 minute. Under a factory reset however, longer.

-Can you connect other devices, IE a phone via Bluetooth, to to play Music?

Yes

I see the phone works, but how about Music (Spotify, for example).

Yes

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Great job!! This how-to/HU swap thread must be in a permanent stickee.. :thumbup:

Ditto. The Commander knob has to be intact too, for my M6.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
@Android 6 Make sure it's running android 4.0, since in your video it doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going to get one of these if we can figure out a way to also use the Commander Switch. That is a must have!

Questions....

How do the steering wheel controls map to the unit? I assume volume is easy, however, what do next and previous track do? (for example, what if I am not in a music app, does it not do anything?) And do the start call/end call buttons work? What about the voice command buttons -- can I map that to something like Google Now?

What about SiriusXM -- I'm assuming that satellite radio functionality is completely lost?

For the rear camera, do you have to wait for the head unit to fully boot before the camera becomes available? Or does the camera activate right away as soon as the car is in reverse, just as it does with the stock unit?

Also, there are some actual car settings that you can only change via the head unit. e.g. -- auto locking of the car, light timing, etc. I'm assuming once the new head unit is installed there is no access to those settings anymore?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great job but I have a question. The original HU have a setting page for some configurations to the vehicle like the auto lighting, door auto lock, etc. How do you manage to chango thoses settings on an aftermarket HU?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
At present you don't because the stock higher line head units have an interface to the Canbus that the aftermarket ones do not.

This is one of the "Gotchas" that we suffer as a consequence of allowing automakers to use undocumented protocols on the Canbus; along with inability to perform all of the self-service tasks we may wish, we also lose the ability to do things like choose a head unit (or buy/build something) that otherwise talks to these systems in the car.

There should be a consumer protection issue here; you bought it, you have the right to work on it and the manufacturer should have to document the necessary protocols so you can do so.

But... nope. At least not today.

This is one of the (many) things I may take on by reverse-engineering the Canbus in our cars.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
@Android 6 I contacted the eBay seller/manufacturer , and they said they have no root for the unit, and I don't have knowledge of Linux code...sorry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At present you don't because the stock higher line head units have an interface to the Canbus that the aftermarket ones do not.

This is one of the "Gotchas" that we suffer as a consequence of allowing automakers to use undocumented protocols on the Canbus; along with inability to perform all of the self-service tasks we may wish, we also lose the ability to do things like choose a head unit (or buy/build something) that otherwise talks to these systems in the car.

There should be a consumer protection issue here; you bought it, you have the right to work on it and the manufacturer should have to document the necessary protocols so you can do so.

But... nope. At least not today.

This is one of the (many) things I may take on by reverse-engineering the Canbus in our cars.
CANBUS Settings? https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=yfvD24I1zlD79IfZ0OUyNQhOc9fwCox5nJXTox2gzPE=

Trying this now!!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Epiphany!!

Well...I'm with everyone else in this situation:
- "I want to replace my headunit, HOWEVER I must keep the commander knob."

Then I realized, we're not thinking "4th Dimensionally". What if we REPLACE the controller knob with something that WOULD Work (I know...crazy idea, right)?!? :eek:

Well, then it came to me, IF you going to do that, it needs to be an UPGRADE with some style. So here is my recommendation: The Griffin Technology PowerMate!

And I KNOW what you're thinking...will that WORK?

**CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWER**

So we'd get the functionality we LOVE, plus a cool glowing ring. NOW IF we could confirm that the3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse would work, MAN...That would be AWESOME!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well...I'm with everyone else in this situation:
- "I want to replace my headunit, HOWEVER I must keep the commander knob."

Then I realized, we're not thinking "4th Dimensionally". What if we REPLACE the controller knob with something that WOULD Work (I know...crazy idea, right)?!? :eek:

Well, then it came to me, IF you going to do that, it needs to be an UPGRADE with some style. So here is my recommendation: The Griffin Technology PowerMate!

And I KNOW what you're thinking...will that WORK?

**CLICK HERE FOR THE ANSWER**

So we'd get the functionality we LOVE, plus a cool glowing ring. NOW IF we could confirm that the3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse would work, MAN...That would be AWESOME!!

DUDE!!!!!!!! This is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Now you got my wheels turning.....................

Do you think the stock commander switch is really a usb controller in disguise? I wonder if I can cut the stock plug, solder it to a usb, and connect it to the head unit......

1 - 20 of 73 Posts