Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been meaning to do this for a while, but I specifically bought a cheap Nexus7 tablet off CL with the intention of making it a media interface for the dash of the 6 once I added a 1-DIN radio up top.

Price of this setup was $0, the only tool needed to create it was a good pair of tin snips, and the only material was the top case of an old VCR I was sending to the recycling center.

I may re-do the lower piece since it came out sorta janky looking, but for now it gets the job done fine. Sorta designed it on the fly as I cut it, so for round 2 at least I know what I want and could be a bit more careful with my cuts.

I forgot to take a picture of the top piece before inserting it into the CD slot, but it makes a 90 degree turn downward inside the slot, fitting between the plastic of the outer bezel and steel of the actual CD unit.

So far the setup works well, just had to do some tuning to keep the tablet firmly in place, but easily removed. The thin wall steel of the VCR case seems to be ideal for that. Stiff enough to stay where I bend it, but flexible enough to let me get the tablet in and out without issue. Sticky/rubbery case I have my tablet in helps too.

A couple pics below, more in this link to my Google photos.

Mind you, my stock radio isn't used at all any more, so this wouldn't exactly be a convenient setup for someone who does still use theirs. But I guess if you had an aux input and didn't mind always using your steering wheel controls to do everything, it could still work.

·
Super Moderator
18,117 Posts
Looks pretty sleek, is out of the way of the vents, no need for metra kit or anything like that - Very nice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I never understood why people put head units in sight, if you want aux get aux mod and put it in the glove box. however this was clever and it's your vehicle so do what you want. good idea but the brackets need to be "massaged" with a hammer and painted black. very professional looking and looks incredibly stock (if there wasn't a radio already there)

PSA don't play mah mix tape your temps will rise and the radiator cap will blow off. it will over heat and you'll have a seized block on your hands. check me out www.soundcloud.com/the-rillist-whitest-gangstah-alive-420-69

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually added aux to my stock radio, but eventually wanted bluetooth for my phone, integrated Pandora controls, etc, so a new HU was needed. Didn't want to pay nearly $200 for the dash kit to replace the stock bezel/radio, so I got a $30 adapter to put a 1-DIN up top where the storage bin was. Then the geek in me wanted to add a tablet to the dash, so now I have what you see above.

Definitely needs some massaging, but for now, it does the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts