Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great picture.... so looks like the galaxy phones in my house wont work in her car. Oh well her iPhone is all that matters ti her anyhow.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got my car back a few days ago, and remembered to grab my old Samsung Glide to test it out in the car this morning. Definitely didn't work correctly. If the phone was playing nothing, it would make the CD just sound distorted. If something was playing on the Samsung, the CD would go silent, but the audio from the phone would continue to come out of the phone speaker. Must be some strange voltage difference issue, and Samsung phones must put out lower voltage than others. I guess it's good that I use a Moto and iPhone in the car, both of which work fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do You disrupt the signal from the CD? I found it quite weird that music from the cd player would go silent and signal from phone would be fed to the amplifier. I remember someone mentioning a 3.5mm jack with built in switch. What You should try and do is see if disrupting the cd signal completely solves this problem. If it does, You would just have to wire the 3.5mm jack with the switch in a way that when a plug is inserted into the jack, it short circuits the signal from cd player, allowing for the amplifier to receive just what you're feeding from the external device.
In theory, if You do not disrupt the cd signal, You should be hearing both the music from CD and your external audio device, phone for example. Or a somewhat distorted signal, because both the signal from the cd player and the external device would be interfering with each other.
If this really has something to do with output voltage of the device, You could try and download some kind of waveform generator from playstore and see if feeding an amplified sine wave disrupts the signal from cd player.
And what about playing a blank cd? Do samsung devices work when a blank cd is being played?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It really is an odd setup. When I plug in my iPhone or Moto G (device playing or not), the CD audio is absolutely muted. Unplug it and you instantly hear the CD playing. If I plug in my Samsung, the CD audio sounds distorted when the phone is idle, or it goes silent when the phone starts playing, although the phone audio doesn't come out of the stereo, only silence. So strange.

I do plan to try the Aux input method using the CD changer plug (connect pin 1 and 13), see if toggling source via steering wheel actually goes to source "TV" like one poster said worked in his 2004. I'm skeptic, but figure it's worth a try. Long-term, I plan to install a Kenwood 1-DIN head unit up in the map pocket and feed it into the stock stereo. Hoping I can use the CD changer input rather than my current CD player input, but either one will work.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sadly, my own aux mod was not able to accept the signal from another aftermarket head unit. Just not enough output voltage I guess. Strange that a HU would have less output voltage than an iPhone.

Hopefully I can get the other method working by including pin #16 in the mod, then my new Pioneer can feed audio to the stock head unit.

Until then, this thing just gets to go for a ride and look pretty in the dash. This adapter I bought worked out pretty well, and my paint job on it matches the dash just fine. It was a dark grey when I received it, sadly the only color the online shop had.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sadly, my own aux mod was not able to accept the signal from another aftermarket head unit. Just not enough output voltage I guess. Strange that a HU would have less output voltage than an iPhone.

Hopefully I can get the other method working by including pin #16 in the mod, then my new Pioneer can feed audio to the stock head unit.

Until then, this thing just gets to go for a ride and look pretty in the dash. This adapter I bought worked out pretty well, and my paint job on it matches the dash just fine. It was a dark grey when I received it, sadly the only color the online shop had.

I have looked everywhere for that dash kit you have. Where did you get it, and what are the harnesses like and such considering the aftermarket AND stock head units are in, even though when you completely remove the stock wire harnesses from the stock stereo you also lose A/C capabilities. ( thought about wiring my own from scratch until I found that out.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got the kit here. Totally random site that came up in a google search. I went with the cheapest shipping, and it took nearly 3 weeks to arrive. I wasn't in a hurry, so it wasn't a big deal. Not sure how much faster it will come if you pay for faster shipment. The package appeared to come straight from China. I'm happy for $27 though.

Ended up doing the wiring by tapping into the power and ground wires, leaving them intact to the factory head unit. Then for the signal, I cut all 4 pairs of audio wires and connected them directly to my new head unit's RCA output. Worked great, sound is even better than before. Stock radio still turns on, but it isn't hooked to the speakers in any way. If I attempted to keep both radios connected, the new head unit was very very quiet.

Managed to get the antenna wire to make it up to the new HU too. It just baaaarely made it after I yanked the retainer clip to the left side of the opening. New radio had the antenna input on the driver's side, I doubt it would make it if it was on the other side. I'm sure it's easy to extend if needed, but I was glad to not have to.

Ended up with a lot of wiring that needed to make it up to the new radio. Used some duct tape to keep them in-between the air ducts. Worked out fine.

All back together:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished this not even 10 minutes ago. My radio is about 8 bolts lighter but it doesn't wobble or shake, so that's nice. The aux input now works, but small problem, the sound is really weak. I'm thinking I didn't ground it properly or something because the signal sounds way too weak. I read online that cars need a 5v signal for aux while iphones only give out about 2.8v , at max volume it sounds really quiet.

Any ideas?

PS: first post , yay! I also just got a 2004 mazda 6 sports wagon. Such a baller car.

EDIT: pretty sure i figured out why the volume was so low, I think i managed to somehow break the cd changer. The cd's load in just fine, they eject fine too, no error messages , but the cd's just don't play, no timer nothing. I'm assuming that the aux signal is getting through but not being amplified, so now I have two options, one being getting/building a pre-amp and connecting it to the aux cable. Another being just using an FM transmitter.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bummer dude. You definitely need the stock CD player working and actively playing a disc for this input to work. Perhaps one of the ribbon cables got pulled loose while you had the unit apart? Seems some communication is being interrupted. Sadly, you probably have to take it all apart to find out what's up.

Congrats on the wagon purchase. Other than the annoyingly lazy-ass auto transmission, I'm liking my car very much. Got any pics of yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll get some pics up soon, It's a 5 speed manual, so not used to the low power on low revs though. I had a 1990 ford probe till just recently and that hit max torque at 3k rpm, this hits it at 6k rpm, so for quick launches need to have it at about 2k rpm to be able to get off the line. Either that or I just suck.

On topic: I don't think I missed the ribbon cable, but I may be wrong, I'll take it apart again soon. I did notice that as I was undoing the casing I managed to hook one of the capacitors from the top cover, It looked attached but then again it's all surface mount components so it might not actually be attached... It was holding by the traces, so that's probably why my radio isn't actually reading the CD.

I'm gonna try fixing that capacitor, if not I'm just going to build a mini amplifier and just boost the aux signal that I already have. Still cheaper than buying a 200$ dash kit...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ah nice, congrats on finding a stick. That was my plan too, but this one I bought was just too perfect otherwise to pass up, and close to home. I sorta kick myself from time to time since I can't stand the way it shifts, but it's still a great car overall.

I too couldn't believe the cost to replace the stock radio, hence my creative method of adding aux input. But I always had plans to add a 2nd head unit for the purpose of bluetooth phone connection (hands free law in IL), but when I ran into the issue of not being able to hear my new radio through the stock radio aux... I cut the signal wires and connected them straight to my new radio. Sure, I have 2 radios in my dash, but ah well. I don't think it looks too ghetto. At least the kit to install it up high where the storage bin is only costs $27. All I have left to do is get the steering wheel control adapter. I am definitely missing the volume/track buttons, especially since the new radio is a slightly longer reach.

I just frikkin' love the look of this car. So perfect.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks great, man. Black plus the roof rack, I love it. I looked at one just like it, a black on black loaded 2004 with manual trans, but it had 176k on it and sorta ran like shit, plus had some rust starting here and there. I was so sad that it didn't pan out, the car seemed so great online but just wasn't meant to be once I saw it. Then when I saw the one I bought in person for the first time and it was in such good shape... I couldn't pass it up. I'm slowly starting to get used to the automatic. I just need to remember to put my foot down more to force it to grab lower gears sooner.

The black one I passed on... basically identical to yours!

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
There’s a much easier way to get this done:

With both methods below a radio mod might be required:
(some radios required to do a L716 MOD http://www.gromaudio.com/docs/maz_L716_E.htm )

If you cannot afford this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Aux-cable-for-Mazda6-Mazda-3-car-audio-parts-SKMA16-21-3-5MM-/200906311985

You can do it yourself; just follow the link below

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/225354-diy-3-5mm-stereo-bose-system.html

addpinto
Cool, thanks for the tip. Good to know. I have a 2nd 2004 6 that needs an aux now, I'll try this method next time.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts