Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I previously posted this mod as a concept after discovering that the CD changer of my 04 MPV and a Toyota Tacoma was the exact same unit. I discovered that it's the same unit in the Mazda6 once I bought a Mazda 6. This mod has been confirmed in my 2004 Mazda 6s wagon (USA w Bose and 6CD changer). The fellows at tacomaworld really deserve the credit for this aux mod, but below is my version of the DIY originally posted on their site here.

One discovery that was made by user throwinrox down below is that this mod doesn't seem to work with Samsung phones, at least not a Galaxy S3 or Glide. Confirmed phones that work include Moto G and iPhone. My guess is an output voltage difference of some sort.

First, remove the radio unit from the face panel. If you don't know how, time to do some searching.

Once you have it out, remove the 4 pink screws to detach the CD changer unit from the main assembly:

A label is visible on the unit detailing the removal of CD unit from assembly:

Once the CD unit is apart from the assembly, remove gold screws from the front and back:

Remove CD changer rear panel:

Flip CD unit open, being careful with the ribbon cable between inner assembly and board on case bottom:

Now focus on area where aux will be soldered in:

Cut and remove thin metal area of housing to allow better clearance for added wiring (RCA cable, 3.5mm aux cable, your choice. I used an RCA cable)

Solder L and R leads into 2 clearly labeled connections:

Once this is done, carefully connect the negative leads together and connect to screw on body. Making one cut in the outer body to bend housing outward is helpful for clearance when putting everything back together:

As you put everything back together, bend outer shell back together to lightly pinch and hold aux cable now coming out of the back of the CD assembly:

Route your new aux cable where you want it, insert any CD, then enjoy aux input once you connect the new cable to any aux source. Removing the cable from your aux source will play CD audio. Inserting the cable to an aux source will mute the CD audio and play only aux input.

Only mild downer with this mod, whenever the CD player is seeking without any actual audio being read, the aux input will be muted. All I've noticed is a 2-3 second pause as the one CD in my changer repeats itself every 80 minutes or so.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Nice write-up. I'm sure there are quite a few people here that have been waiting for a mod like this.
:cheers:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,606 Posts
Nicely done. Moving this to the DIY/How-to section...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, well then it must be a totally different supplier. Is yours 6cd w Bose? You're peeking around in the CD part of the unit, right? Not the radio/amp half?

If it says rch / lch, then I say solder in and give it a try. Just no guarantees it will work exactly the same as the setup in my 2004.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah, well then it must be a totally different supplier. Is yours 6cd w Bose? You're peeking around in the CD part of the unit, right? Not the radio/amp half?

If it says rch / lch, then I say solder in and give it a try. Just no guarantees it will work exactly the same as the setup in my 2004.

mines a single cd no Bose and ya it's the cd part

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gotcha. Well, I'd say there's a high chance of success if you found terminals labeled LCH / RCH, so get your soldering iron warmed up and give it a try. If it doesn't work, then we know it's only possible on the 6CD unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I just did this on my daughter's 2004 6s. I used a radio shack 5' male to male cable. I tested the cable with my Samsung galaxy s3 in my Corolla and it worked fine. I did the mod as outlined and it works great with my daughter's iPhone 4s but not with my galaxy. when i plug and unplug the cable into my phone's jack I can hear a small pop through the speakers but it will not play from my phone, the cd continues to play. Anybody else had this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I think you and I are the only 2 people to ever attempt this mod in a Mazda6, so I don't know how much feedback you'll get. I have used an iPhone 4s and a Moto G in my car, both worked fine. My car is actually in the shop right now, but I'll gladly try my wife's Galaxy S2 or my old Galaxy Glide when I get the car back. Seems odd that your one phone would work but not the other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
very happy, Thanks again for this post. And I also realized that I am getting older and need glasses, I had a hard time seeing what I was soldering on that tiny board.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha. I'm 36, luckily my eyesight hasn't faded yet. Rode into work with my ~56 year old father-in-law, he was just talking about his vision and reading glasses.

Glad my write-up helped someone out. So ridiculous they didn't offer an aux plug on this car from the factory. But I guess back in ~03 when they launched, the iPod and the smartphone wasn't quite what it is today.

My daughter also enjoys the aux input, but mainly so we can play her Disney tunes in daddy's car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts