Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I installed subwoofers and now the background is lit, but there are no pigments or anything. What wire did I disconnect? It at least showed some words before we took the stereo out. Now nothing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Thanks!!

WARNING: do not attempt to do this yourself if you have no prior experience with fixing pcbs/electronic components. Ask a professional for help.

I did not diagnose the problem. All the credit goes to the great people on Polish Mazda forum: Forum MazdaSpeed
The issue is the SMT (surface mounted technology) microchip that has lost its connection to the pcb.


Remove and disassemble the display:




Unsolder and remove the metal frame:




Release tension on all pins and very carefully unbend the LCD screen to remove the black plastic housing:




Unsolder smaller pcb with LEDs:




All components:




This is the microchip. Silicon that covers it needs to be carefully removed. Use a small knife and soft metal brush.




Once you get to the microchip you need to refloat all it connections. You will need a good solder gun like Weller or similar.




Inspect for any shortened circuits / bad solders under the magnifying glass or microscope:




Assemble and test (you can also test the main board with lcd by itself without the leds and other components):


Duuuude, I am so happy I stumbled upon this post. Fixed mine today and it looks perfect! What's funny is that I'm an electronics technician by trade, and specialize in microminiature electronic repair...so I feel kind of dumb for not checking the IC chip to begin with, lol. Either way, thanks for posting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Rebaking of Mazda Display

I tried this, though reluctant to do so. The disassembly process wasn't nearly as difficult as I was expecting it to be. Here's a couple links to YouTube vids on how to disassemble the center console to remove the display unit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o84Xv5xb_MA&list=PLfIDlqF0gON1Des0UETHEscKMbYoeKyMI&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OtgcOLivQE&list=PLfIDlqF0gON1Des0UETHEscKMbYoeKyMI&index=3

***BE SURE TO REMOVE THE BOLT LOCATED INSIDE THE GLOVE BOX***

In regards to rebaking the display unit, I followed the instructions posted here as worded, except that I baked my unit for 12:30 as the average of the 10-15 minute recommendation. Once it was finished baking, I let it cool down for 15 minutes as instructed, then reassembled everything. I gotta tell you, my display unit is displaying everything like it's brand new. I'm very impressed! Thanks so much for posting great instructions as well as pics to accompany everything.

Note: getting the display unit out of all of the plastic to look like it does in the pics posted only takes a few minutes. There are four little screws that need to be removed and everything else is held into place by plastic tabs. Some parts snap together. Just be patient and look at what you're dealing with and you'll figure it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Great write up just completed the suggested modification / repair and so far its working great. Time will tell. Thank You all for the great work that you have all provided to this community.
Cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Did the rebake procedure today, except i went for 25 minutes baking and 25 cooling passively in oven. So far works perfectly, as others have reported, so I am now waiting for the inevitable failing over time. One thing I have seen on youtube about this problem is people adding zip ties and such to the plastic pieces that sandwich the LCD and PCB together, so I am thinking perhaps just reassembling the parts together fixes it temporarily. If this does not work I will try the chip fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Update: not surprising I suppose but the bake fix failed after about 3 days. I disassembled everything today and tried to float the chip. Perhaps I did not quite get all the legs but it did not work, however i'm sure that it is the problem, as the display fixes itself if I flex the board slightly. I have given up for today but I will reattempt again in the future once it starts bothering me too much again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I also fixed my LCD resoldering chip inside. there was like 30pcs legs with bad connection.
I used flux pen and resoldered all. remember to remove that silicon stuff first.
picture is before soldering.
 

Attachments

81 - 90 of 90 Posts
Top