Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
****After a few months my screen started to revert back to its old ways. I guess this is just a temporary fix. I will try re-baking it again and see if it goes back to normal. -- Sorry ****

My display was barely visible and words were completely distorted. I didnt want to pay $250 for a new screen. This is called the baking process. It heats all the solder and helps it set correctly again.

*Disclaimer - I am not responsible for any damages done by this process*

Removing display is simple. Remove radio, removal 2 screws holding holder, slide display from holder. Let me know if you need pictures of this process.

Once display has been removed. You will need to remove 4 screws and remove all the plastic. All plastics pieces had to come off.

Here is how the back looks with all the plastic off.

Preheated oven to 200F. Soon it will be time to start baking.

Prepping for the oven. I put aluminum foil down because it is easier to remove from oven and it cools faster than a cookie sheet.

Display after baking. I only baked for 10-15 minutes. Open oven door to it cool down for another 15. Plugged it in and all happiness afterwards.

Testing to make sure screen hasnt warped or melted. Its good to go. No need for new screen. :)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know if you need any help. It is pretty simple and straight forward. Just dont melt it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I will do my best not to melt it hahaa. Ill keep a close eye on it. if i run into any problems ill hit you up

·
Super Moderator
18,117 Posts
Good find man. I'm sure you'll make a lot of people happy if they search for this.

Imma start sticking other electronic components into my oven to see if the heat re-flows the broken parts lol.

Sent with my flux capacitor.

·
Super Moderator
18,117 Posts
so can one of you explain to me how this actually works? in corey terms please
The solder used on many circuit boards isn't always done properly, or for various reasons is broken, not allowing electrical signals to pass through.

Re-flowing means reheating up the solder so that it recreates the connection between components that it should be. Solder has a fairly low melting point, so sticking it in the oven is a nice way to melt all the solder just a little bit, and then let it settle again once you take it out.

The Xbox Red Ring of death was also solved this way for many people. Overheat your xbox to the point that the solder reconnected and the red ring went away lol.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wow thats pretty cool. To me atleast haha. Yeah my xbox got the ring of death and i got pissed to i threw it out my bedroom window. Should have just baked it i guess haha

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the chemical that they use to hold the pins together (solder) degrades over time due to heating and cooling and of the boards in most cases and loses its connectivity.

As you reheat the board it helps adhere all the connection pieces that were previously soldered. Kinda like repeating the process that was used to create the board.

Just think of soldering as low tech welding.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah I have soldered things befor (took a robotics class in Hs) but didnt know that it would actually work to rehead it. its sweet man

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Would love to see someone else see if this fixes their issue as well and if so ping this!

Scott

·
Registered
48 Posts
Worked for me! Well, mostly.. one of the vertical lines is still off but the rest of the display works great now. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully the fix will last for awhile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. It didn't melt anything but it still looks like hieroglyphics. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new unit. :(

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't work for me. It didn't melt anything but it still looks like hieroglyphics. I guess I'm gonna have to buy a new unit. :(
:( You baked for 10 mins and let cool slowly still in the oven? Well damn. This is the first case I've heard of it not working. But at least it didn't cost anything besides time.. and electricity/gas.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts