Mazda 6 Forums banner

DIY: Firm Up Front Suspension with Front Control Arm Urethane Mod

34K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  RWJC 
#1 · (Edited)
For those who can't stand the looseness and jiggle of the front suspension here is how you fix it:

Step 1: buy the Urethane window glue shown in the attached photo. I got it from Autozone for a little under $30, and make sure it is not expired.

Step 2: Jack up your car and USE JACK STANDS!!! as shown in the second photo, it is the best place for the jack stands for the car and keep the stands out of your way when working.

Step 3:
Figure out which holes you want to plug per the 3rd photo and clean them out with. cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol. I also applied Vaseline to the control arm on the forward side of the bushing where I wanted to fill the gap, with the Urethane only sticking to the bushing and not the control arm.

Step 4:
Apply the Urethane, which is pretty much the messiest thing I have ever worked with, with a caulking gun. Just about nothing touches it for clean up except Acetone which just smears it around. If you get it on your hands it will be there for a week.

Step 5: Wait with the car jacked up for 12 hours if it is room temperature, or 24 hours if it is really cold.

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
Strut tower was the subject.

#53 ·
Gotcha. X-brace would be 4 point, what other 2 points are you thinking of connecting to? Some vehicles have two point braces from the strut tower to the firewall (my ATS has these), the only 4 point strut/shock tower braces I can think of are the Viper's X-brace or the M3's weird V/U brace.

#54 ·
I was thinking an actual X on the towers, vs a straight bar. But im wondering if the center point would be weaker than not having one since you couldnt really cross them over easy enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.