Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now how come in Crossbow's pictures the IM isn't pulled off and he just removed the whole EGR thing and cut it on a bench??????[/b]

So you can do it without removing the IM?[/b]

you can do it with out removing the IM.........but i just found it safer to do it with it off being that i used a cut off wheel and didnt want any debris in the IM......

i also did mine while it was still in the engine bay

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sweet write-up man, I've been thinking about doing the coolant bypass when I drop in the OP-TB, but there's a little voice in the back of my head that keeps asking....

Is this safe? If Mazda wanted it that way, why didn't they just make it that way?

Seriously.....not to sound like a jerk or anything, cause I really don't know what I'm talking about......but.....if it's that easy......just makes me think. Have you had any issues with it since you put it in?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just finished modifying my EGR. That plus my optimized TB coming next week should give a nice bump in airflow!

Does this mod reduce the occurance of CEL P0431 when you have headers? Because I even did this mod on this link below to cure the CEL, and it still comes on:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=1

Perhaps the EGR mod to get more of the gases reburned, better airflow to bank 2, front bank, plus this non-fouler mod should prevent that CEL?? Or is this P0431 from the O2 Evaporative Emission System Leak Monitoring Failure Recall 3205G? What side affects does the reflash of the PCM have on other things? Does it decrease the redline, or anything?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just finished modifying my EGR. That plus my optimized TB coming next week should give a nice bump in airflow!

Does this mod reduce the occurance of CEL P0431 when you have headers? Because I even did this mod on this link below to cure the CEL, and it still comes on:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=1

Perhaps the EGR mod to get more of the gases reburned, better airflow to bank 2, front bank, plus this non-fouler mod should prevent that CEL?? Or is this P0431 from the O2 Evaporative Emission System Leak Monitoring Failure Recall 3205G? What side affects does the reflash of the PCM have on other things? Does it decrease the redline, or anything?[/b]

this mod has nothing to do with the P0431 code. that code has to do with the cat. so if will be there regarless of the EGR mod or not if your cats are deleted or bad.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Can you fail an emissions test if you get the P0431 code? I have to get my 1st one within the next year.[/b]

yes you can...........unfortunatly if a CEL is present you fail off top.

but here is something a lot of people may or may not know.

as a lot of us with CEL's do............we reset our ECU's and get screwed for not have monitors ready. well just food for thought.

2000 and below cars are allowed 2 monitors to not be ready

2001 and up are only allowed 1.

this is per NY state tho, but it may hold true to the rest of the country. check your local DMV

·
Registered
156 Posts
yes you can...........unfortunatly if a CEL is present you fail off top.
but here is something a lot of people may or may not know.
as a lot of us with CEL's do............we reset our ECU's and get screwed for not have monitors ready. well just food for thought.
2000 and below cars are allowed 2 monitors to not be ready

2001 and up are only allowed 1.

this is per NY state tho, but it may hold true to the rest of the country. check your local DMV[/b]
Do you mean we use our scanners to erase the code and get in trouble for doing that because the emissions test results we should be throwing a CEL? So its best to not reset it and let the 1 CEL show up?

Please clarify "not have monitors ready".
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Do you mean we use our scanners to erase the code and get in trouble for doing that because the emissions test results we should be throwing a CEL? So its best to not reset it and let the 1 CEL show up?[/b]
No, because a CEL is an automatic fail, no matter what it's for. Reset it the a day or two before your inspection and drive around for a while so that by the time you go in for inspection, most if not all sensors are "ready".

Please clarify "not have monitors ready".
Thanks![/b]
Emissions sensors report their status as either "ready" or "not ready".

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I thought it was determined through normal driving processes that it can take up to 100 or 200 miles for all of the monitors to resume normal activity.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I thought it was determined through normal driving processes that it can take up to 100 or 200 miles for all of the monitors to resume normal activity.[/b]
Well for me, that takes about 2 days of normal driving. But then again, I can pass with two sensors still not ready. Like Great NY said, it depends on the state.

One time I tried getting inspected right after clearing my CEL (this was before I fully understood how emissions sensors worked) and the inspector said to drive around about 30 miles and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well for me, that takes about 2 days of normal driving. But then again, I can pass with two sensors still not ready. Like Great NY said, it depends on the state.

One time I tried getting inspected right after clearing my CEL (this was before I fully understood how emissions sensors worked) and the inspector said to drive around about 30 miles and I should be good to go.[/b]
Got it. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I thought it was determined through normal driving processes that it can take up to 100 or 200 miles for all of the monitors to resume normal activity.[/b]
i've gotten mine back on with in a day, all but the EVAP which usually takes days, sometimes weeks depending on the weather

Got it. Thanks![/b]
cool

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Jun 15 2008, 01:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1369578
Quick question, how would you all recommend taking off the three hoses on the back of the IM? I changed my spark pugs and luckily actually didn't have to pull them out. How in the hell do I get those damn things off? They just don't wat to budge![/b]

grab a set of pliers and grab the hose like a tong on a hotdog.........apply enough pressure to have enough grip to spin the hoses back and forth while sliding it off.

they are probably just stuck on there.......try not to push down on the plastic nipples cause they can and will break

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was doing spark plugs today and since I was there I went ahead and did this EGR mod along with the TB coolant bypass. I could not find my cut off wheel for my dremel so I looked around and used a tubing cutter. It took quite a few spins, but there was no flying debris and it left a clean edge to the remaining tube. Just another option for you guys. Been lurking for a while and finally had something to contribute.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Jul 19 2008, 08:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1393871
Haha...nice first post.

I am ust comfunsed as to where exactly I am cutting. Since I just busted a lot of mony on my headers, I am now looking into all of the free mods...lol. Does any have a better explanation as to WTH I am trying to cut (no offense Justin)?[/b]

take a look here:

if you look at the EGR valve you will notice that there is a point that goes down in diameter size. from that point take 3 quarters and cut in front of the qaurters.

hold up..........ima draw a picture

41 - 60 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
70 Participants
[email protected]
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing