Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey NY !

Great Write up on this MOD !!! I was wondering if there should be any worries of the IM gasket or seal wearing out because of How many time we remove and replace the IM either because of spark plug replacement or whatever ????

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey NY !
Great Write up on this MOD !!! I was wondering if there should be any worries of the IM gasket or seal wearing out because of How many time we remove and replace the IM either because of spark plug replacement or whatever ????[/b]

thats a good question. the way i see it is as long as you still feel some type of comprssion once tightening things down you should be good. its a rope/o-ring type of gasket so they are pretty resillient to removal and reinstallation. granted if it looks like shit by all means replace the gasket. but it should last u a few removals with no problems.

just remember not to get em dirty when u do remove them. because debris causes seapage and tends to tear them up.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Why did they make the EGR valve so long in the first place if there's no harm in just hacking off part of it? It must serve some purpose to begin with, otherwise it's just stupid to make it like that. I'm just worried that there might be some side effect to doing this.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The EGR valve was made that long to supposedly distribute the gases coming from the EGR valve evenly between the front and rear bank. Otherwise, no other purpose for it being that long.

My theory though would be that even with it cut off, the incoming air at velocity and any turbulance occuring would stir up the gases coming from the EGR valve and do a halfway decent job of evenly distributing it between the front and rear banks. But that's just my opinion.

Paul

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Why did they make the EGR valve so long in the first place if there's no harm in just hacking off part of it? It must serve some purpose to begin with, otherwise it's just stupid to make it like that. I'm just worried that there might be some side effect to doing this.[/b]

all the EGR is for is to help keep down bad exhaust gases. how it does that is recirculates some of the exhaust gas back into the system to be reburnt. basically some of the stuff that wasnt burned the first time. supposedly also helps the motor run cooler. which i dont neccesarily believe, but they designed it like that so it must work.

anyway trimming away part of the tube thats in the intake will not hurt or hinder the function of the EGR system in any way. in fact it may help it to the fact it'll create a better vaccumm because by cutting off the end which only has 1 or 2 small holes to pull thru you then create a bigger hole forit to suck thru.

this mazda is the first i have actually seen where the egr sits right out in the intact tract. most the tube is external or flush with the walls of the intake.

dont worry this mod wont hurt your car at all. all it will do is improve its design and functionality

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey Justin great job man! Just thought I might throw this out here as well.....

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=55253

you did nail it on the money and at least now RottenWillow won't be loaded with PMs from everyone on how-to-do the EGR mod.[/b]

thanks.......u know until now i never knew that thread by rotten willow existed. that just goes to show how much info is on this forum

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
thanks.......u know until now i never knew that thread by rotten willow existed. that just goes to show how much info is on this forum[/b]
It goes to show you how much crap is on this forum, hiding all the relevant information.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thanks.......u know until now i never knew that thread by rotten willow existed. that just goes to show how much info is on this forum[/b]
i knew it was there, but you can't find it with search. I've tried many times, now I have it bookmarked....both of them.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in.
Overtime, after the EGR mod, I noticed the fuel trims between the two banks were closer to each other (averaged over time), then before the mod. So cutting it does definitely change the airflow between the front and rear banks. Here's an old shot to show the EGR stickin in the way.

And here's all the old photos from the 6tech threads (basically impossible to find now).

Hope that helps fill in any blanks! Great How-To!

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I removed the actual EGR pipe if I remember correctly, then pulled out the part that needed to be cut. It was a bit difficult getting to the bolt, but you can see it on the underside of the EGR. I don't remember the size...it was difficult to remove. Been like 3 years since I did it!

Here's a shot of the bolt/pipe under the EGR assembly.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
70 Participants
[email protected]
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing