Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am sure this has been threaded before but here's for the 3rd gen

The following items can be removed with heatgun/hair dryer and either a clean credit card (plastic card) or 3-5lb test fishing wire.
-Rear Mazda Emblem
-Rear Skyactive Badge
-Rear Mazda 6 Badge

Basically, use your heat source to warm up the glue holding on the emblem/badge. Gently wedge your credit card or fishing line behind the piece and wiggle till you can remove the piece. Go slow and heat different areas to loosen the glue.
The rear Mazda Logo also has two prongs that insert into the body of the car.

The front grille emblem is clipped in at about 6 places if I recall correctly. To remove, gently pry at areas surrounding the emblem with a clean flathead screwdriver. Try not to dig or use too much force. The piece will clip off and then snap back on once you are done. Since there are holes around the whole circle of the emblem, I refrained from making the "evil M" in the front and just did the rear.

Removing the chrome and black lip on the trunk . . . I did not like the crome accent lip on the trunk since I feel its too close to the Hyundai Sonata look. To remove it, there are three caps on the underside of the ledge. They are very noticble and just use a flathead to pop em off and use a socket wrench to do the bolt inside. Once those are off, it will take some wiggling to get the chromed ends out. They are clipped at two points, one near the end and one in the middle. I haven't found the surefire method to easily remove them so I just wiggled it till it came loose and bingo, it came off. Also, you might have to remove your license plate frame if it is bulky and prevents the downward/outward movement.

I did em all classic black and relocated some of them on the car. I let the paint air dry for at least 24hrs before reapplying them to the vehicle. I waiting about a week before I had the chance to reapply the non-chrome trunk lip.

Cleanup!!! Once you have removed your badges from the car, clean up as much of the tacky goo they use by using your fingers and heat. I personally like goo gone to finish up the job and get all the remaining bits off. Use what you think works best.

For reapplying, I used 3M 5lb weight test double stick tape. I am not 100% happy with it but it holds it nice and doesn't look too bad. The issue I have is it is thick and bumps the emblems out a bit. Not a huge deal breaker. Also, its weak enough to just undo easily and reapply somewhere else or with something else. Other suggestions for adhesion are welcomed.

WARNING: if you try to reapply your pieces with glue (elmers,crazy,apoxy) there is a high chance it will seep out before it can set and you might ruin your paint job and emblems.

Good Luck and post if you have questions. Also, show some pics once you get your project done.

I will be posting pics later today. The car is a bit dirty but you will get the idea. Shine and show hopefully this weekend. . .
Edit: pics.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Debadging your car: 3rd Gen

Pics. Comments welcome

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
slick man although my tastes at this point in my life are a little different. I kind of dig the chrome accents for more of a luxury look but what you have done definitely makes it looks sporty and aggressive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks Good Hopefully, That tape holds up

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Looks Good Hopefully, That tape holds up
I used 5lb strength 3M outdoor (weatherproof?) Double stick. If I notice that it starts to fail in the summer heat, I can always up to the 12lb strength or look for other adhesives.

Reactions: bserra19

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was actually going to do this... But i'm going to leave the chrome and get some wheels with machined lip so it matches... But i gotta get that evil M emblem and get the interior lights done... How hard was it to do the lights

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was actually going to do this... But i'm going to leave the chrome and get some wheels with machined lip so it matches... But i gotta get that evil M emblem and get the interior lights done... How hard was it to do the lights
Interior lights as in the map/dome lights and door panel lights? If you have a flat head screwdriver and five minutes, its really a no brainer. Pop and play

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6
27 Posts
Looks very good! Thanks for the detailed info. So there are no holes behind the "Mazda6" or "Skyactiv", but there are 2 holes behind the flying M?

So, I am sure this has been threaded before but here's for the 3rd gen

The following items can be removed with heatgun/hair dryer and either a clean credit card (plastic card) or 3-5lb test fishing wire.
-Rear Mazda Emblem
-Rear Skyactive Badge
-Rear Mazda 6 Badge

Basically, use your heat source to warm up the glue holding on the emblem/badge. Gently wedge your credit card or fishing line behind the piece and wiggle till you can remove the piece. Go slow and heat different areas to loosen the glue.
The rear Mazda Logo also has two prongs that insert into the body of the car.

The front grille emblem is clipped in at about 6 places if I recall correctly. To remove, gently pry at areas surrounding the emblem with a clean flathead screwdriver. Try not to dig or use too much force. The piece will clip off and then snap back on once you are done. Since there are holes around the whole circle of the emblem, I refrained from making the "evil M" in the front and just did the rear.

Removing the chrome and black lip on the trunk . . . I did not like the crome accent lip on the trunk since I feel its too close to the Hyundai Sonata look. To remove it, there are three caps on the underside of the ledge. They are very noticble and just use a flathead to pop em off and use a socket wrench to do the bolt inside. Once those are off, it will take some wiggling to get the chromed ends out. They are clipped at two points, one near the end and one in the middle. I haven't found the surefire method to easily remove them so I just wiggled it till it came loose and bingo, it came off. Also, you might have to remove your license plate frame if it is bulky and prevents the downward/outward movement.

I did em all classic black and relocated some of them on the car. I let the paint air dry for at least 24hrs before reapplying them to the vehicle. I waiting about a week before I had the chance to reapply the non-chrome trunk lip.

Cleanup!!! Once you have removed your badges from the car, clean up as much of the tacky goo they use by using your fingers and heat. I personally like goo gone to finish up the job and get all the remaining bits off. Use what you think works best.

For reapplying, I used 3M 5lb weight test double stick tape. I am not 100% happy with it but it holds it nice and doesn't look too bad. The issue I have is it is thick and bumps the emblems out a bit. Not a huge deal breaker. Also, its weak enough to just undo easily and reapply somewhere else or with something else. Other suggestions for adhesion are welcomed.

WARNING: if you try to reapply your pieces with glue (elmers,crazy,apoxy) there is a high chance it will seep out before it can set and you might ruin your paint job and emblems.

Good Luck and post if you have questions. Also, show some pics once you get your project done.

I will be posting pics later today. The car is a bit dirty but you will get the idea. Shine and show hopefully this weekend. . .
Edit: pics.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks very good! Thanks for the detailed info. So there are no holes behind the "Mazda6" or "Skyactiv", but there are 2 holes behind the flying M?
That is correct. And the badge on the front has about 5 or 6 clips holding it on. GL with your project!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Luckily, I like the look of those logos and badges as is, but hey, to each his own. The default Mazda logo is nice cause my initials are A.M., and you can easily see both characters in the logo. :)

Plus, Mazda's logo is just plain sexy compared to the others.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took them all off, went black on the back bar and made the black "evil" M, but I went with color match for the front emblem and I did the engine cover emblem as well. Went to a Car Quest and picked up a can of color match Soul Red...
It looks awesome... really pulls the front end together

·
Registered
338 Posts
What do you do for the two holes where the Mazda emblem used to be? I would like to debadge my 6, but not sure on the Mazda emblem and the holes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.