Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Heh... Here's an interesting read from TRS regarding DDM.
TRS Quality Issues - REPOST! (STICKIED!)!)

This isn't meant to slander or promote either company... I've been dealing with DDM-Tuning since... before they became "DDM-Tuning" and TRS before they became big. So I'm impartial to either. FWIW, I ran DDM ballasts in my cars (and installed in more than 30 other cars) for about 5 years and replaced them with TRS' Morimoto products back in... 2008? Never had any issues with any product.

If there's any advice to give, stay AWAY, FAR AWAY from ebay. :] Especially the Xentec brand. lol
Stock is left, Xentec is right.

Anyway, here's a stock vs. HID on my Mazda6 (using TRS Morimoto stuff, no harness for now)... I hate the cut-off and output so I'll be doing a retrofit once I get my car back.

Here's one of my better retrofits from back in the day (TRS Morimoto 55w ballasts, D2S 6k)...

·
Registered
618 Posts
This isn't meant to slander or promote either company... I've been dealing with DDM-Tuning since... before they became "DDM-Tuning" and TRS before they became big. So I'm impartial to either. FWIW, I ran DDM ballasts in my cars (and installed in more than 30 other cars) for about 5 years and replaced them with TRS' Morimoto products back in... 2008? Never had any issues with any product.

If there's any advice to give, stay AWAY, FAR AWAY from ebay. :] Especially the Xentec brand. lol
Stock is left, Xentec is right.
I'm right there with you man. I've always promoted DDM until this last car. Fool me twice and I'm out. TRS looked to have great quality overall but arrived with defective ballasts and I gave up right away. People's mileage may vary :) But do stay away from ebay and amazon. It may work "fine" and look "fine" on the road for you, but in comparison with better brands out there...well there is just no comparison :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
I just ordered DDM HID for my 16 touring and I had it on my CX5 and for the price it's an excellent quality and I had it for almost 2 years it has been problem free btw what's a good retrofit projectors would fit the M6 headlight?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would like to throw my opinions on here really quick.

I have Canbus 35w 8000k HIDs installed on my '15 Mazda6 and they perform quite well. It has a lower light output since they're 8000k bulbs but they look nice.

My girlfriend has 35w 5000k Innovited HIDs on her '14 Accord and has a better light output than my car. They cost 40 bucks with prime which makes it about 6 bucks cheaper than DDM Tuning and only 2 year warranty vs. lifetime from DDM.

From my past experience with DDM Tuning, the bulbs seem to burn out fast. Their bulbs also don't match. For example, if you order 8000k, one side would look 8000k and the other would look 6000k. Other than that, it's up to you to see if the extra 6 bucks or so would be worth the lifetime warranty.
Just picked up the Innovited kit from Amazon. I wanted to install this weekend and they will be here tomorrow. Hopefully all goes smoothly. It looks like the install on our 6's is pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Xenon Depot seems to be having a sale today, I am glad that I looked. 15% off of the entire store!

I'm not sure what I am supposed to buy here though. I know I need the H11 bulb and some sort of ballast and relay.

The thing that attracted me to DDM in the past was price, and Xenon Depot seems slightly high priced. Maybe I will have a look at TRS.

EDIT: TRS actually looks a bit more expensive, so I might settle for Xenon Depot. Here's a post from another enthusiast's forum on all types of lights and stuff:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/671772-my-hid-experience-with-xenondepot-vs-ijdmtoy-vs-ddm-tuning.html

·
Registered
702 Posts
I use TRS 98% of the time... DDM if I'm in a pinch... or have a car I don't care too much about.

This should work for you.
H11 Xenon Conversion | XenonDepot Xtreme H11 HID Kit

Although, for that price...
Ballasts
Morimoto XB35 OEM HID AMP Ballasts xenon D2S D2R AMP Denso Matsushita Bosch Hella Ballast 3Five 5Five

Bulbs
H11: Morimoto 3Five - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

Relay
Low Beam: H8/H9/H11 - Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc

If you call in, you can ask them if they have and additional discounts and free shipping. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but you can say Justin w/ the Red Mazda 6 sent you.

If price is really an issue, pick up a set of TRS bulbs and a DDM kit. Throw the DDM bulbs away, but use their ballasts w/ decent bulbs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
^^^ So what is the big difference with DDM and TRS Bulbs?
TRS has better quality control of capsule placement (affects light output due to the focus/foci/focal? point in projector bowl), alignment (so you don't have a weird cut-off), salt quality (affects color temperature and light output), and a stronger base that holds the bulb (so it won't wobble around overtime).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use TRS 98% of the time... DDM if I'm in a pinch... or have a car I don't care too much about.

This should work for you.
H11 Xenon Conversion | XenonDepot Xtreme H11 HID Kit

Although, for that price...
Ballasts
Morimoto XB35 OEM HID AMP Ballasts xenon D2S D2R AMP Denso Matsushita Bosch Hella Ballast 3Five 5Five

Bulbs
H11: Morimoto 3Five - HID Bulbs from The Retrofit Source Inc

Relay
Low Beam: H8/H9/H11 - Relay Harnesses from The Retrofit Source Inc

If you call in, you can ask them if they have and additional discounts and free shipping. Not sure if it'll make a difference, but you can say Justin w/ the Red Mazda 6 sent you.

If price is really an issue, pick up a set of TRS bulbs and a DDM kit. Throw the DDM bulbs away, but use their ballasts w/ decent bulbs.
Thanks "Justin with the Red Mazda 6!" When my next paychecks come in, I think I am going to order these and the tint you recommended on the other thread! You've been a big help :)

Hopefully I'll see you around if you are in fact in the 916 area. Hmu :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanks "Justin with the Red Mazda 6!" When my next paychecks come in, I think I am going to order these and the tint you recommended on the other thread! You've been a big help :)

Hopefully I'll see you around if you are in fact in the 916 area. Hmu :)
haha. You may actually have to talk to "Matt" at TRS(Founder/Owner of TRS), the other guys probably don't know me.

David and Wesley at Imperial Works know me though.

Ehh. I live up in Seattle now... Got tired of the CHP hassling me for driving modded cars. But if I'm in the area, I try to go out to some weekly meets. Check out hard_park (my other friend) on instagram for meet locations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello.

I currently have a 16 mazda6 GS model. I had hids before on my 06 model andni remember something about having to make an opening on the housing so that the bulb can fit properly. Would I have to do this with the 16 6? I hear lots of plug and play and just wondering if I actually have drill the cap open or something

Sorry if it sounds confusing

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just purchased and installed the Innovited AC 55W HID Xenon Conversion Kit With "Slim" ballast form Amazon. I decided to go with the 6000K bulbs. Passenger side installation was simple. For the drivers side, I ended up going through the wheel well.

The light output and clarity is amazing! I previously had Sylvania SilverStar Ultra halogen bulbs installed. This HID kit cost about the same and blows the halogen bulbs away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was super excited when I started reading this post but there seems to be no consensus on the cheapest HIDs that one could expect to work reasonably for at least a year. I don't want to waste $70 to find out that the bulb burnt out or there's a mix and match of colors. But I'm also not sure that $200 is worth the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
200 bucks is well worth it. You get what you pay for with these systems, and cheap is cheap no matter how you cut it. Remember how much you are relying on these to work, all the time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts