Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
So $30 for the HIDs and an additional $22 to ground ship to FL? Yikes! Did anyone else get hit with this shipping quote?
The DDM kits ship from China, so that is about right. I paid $12ish to ship to Washington.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Unless they've changed since 2013, DDM ships UPS from San Diego, CA or Huntington Beach, CA... If you order 55w, they usually ship from China if they're sold out in San Diego.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm seeing a shipping quote of $16.75 for shipping to Virginia.

From their FAQ:

WHERE ARE YOU PRODUCTS SHIPPED FROM?
We ship most of the small items, such as HID kits, led bulbs from our Chinese fulfillment center; most of the larger items, such as LED bars, headlights, tail lights, bumpers from our California locations. Some items, such as suspension, intakes, and BMW OEM parts may be shipped directly from our suppliers depending on current stock level. We have 5 locations: San Diego, CA; Vista, CA; Huntington Beach, CA; Las Vegas, NV; Nanjing.China.

·
Registered
78 Posts
First post - I take delivery of a '16 Mazda6 touring this Saturday and I already know I want to upgrade the lighting. I didn't order the GT as I wanted the manual transmission but before I place an order for the DDM kit I had a few questions -

1. Is the install on the '16 the same 30-45 minutes as was said earlier?
2. Does the DDM kit use the one bulb for low/high beams?
3. Will the auto off function still work?
4. 35W 4300k H11 for a 'normal' HID white appearance, correct?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
916 Posts
First post - I take delivery of a '16 Mazda6 touring this Saturday and I already know I want to upgrade the lighting. I didn't order the GT as I wanted the manual transmission but before I place an order for the DDM kit I had a few questions -

Thanks in advance.
1. yes under the hood its identical to the 2014-15 model so install time should be the same
2. if you want full HID function you need 2 kits for this car, as the low beams and high beams are separate bulbs. lows(projector) use H11 and highs/DRL(reflector) use HB3
3. I have heard its a bit iffy with auto function where it would only fire one bulb and you need to cycle the switch to get both bulbs to fire up
4. yes 4300K is what factory OEM HID systems use.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Thanks in advance.

2) requires 2 kits as stated above, but I want to point out that HIDs in high beams are an extreme overkill but also don't properly work since there is a delay in firing them on. You pretty much won't be able to quickly flash someone if you ever need that function

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would probably just do the kit for the lows, I was just curious if these vehicles used one bulb for both lows and highs.

How do the DDM bulbs hold up? Every time I've tried aftermarket bulbs (silverstars, 5k...etc) I never seem to get more than 6 months out of them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've used DDM for almost a decade with many cars and had minimal issues. However my recent experience with them sucked. One kit burnt out after a week. Took forever to get replacement issues resolved with their customer service and the kit they supposedly sent never arrived. I accepted the loss of $70 and moved on. Gave TRS a try but that kit was junk on arrival. So I gave Xenon Depot a try and have had no issues at all. Best HID kit I ever used. My recommendation is to spend a little more and get a quality kit

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would like to throw my opinions on here really quick.

I have Canbus 35w 8000k HIDs installed on my '15 Mazda6 and they perform quite well. It has a lower light output since they're 8000k bulbs but they look nice.

My girlfriend has 35w 5000k Innovited HIDs on her '14 Accord and has a better light output than my car. They cost 40 bucks with prime which makes it about 6 bucks cheaper than DDM Tuning and only 2 year warranty vs. lifetime from DDM.

From my past experience with DDM Tuning, the bulbs seem to burn out fast. Their bulbs also don't match. For example, if you order 8000k, one side would look 8000k and the other would look 6000k. Other than that, it's up to you to see if the extra 6 bucks or so would be worth the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I just got the 55W kit - went straight to the store to get them, however they won't fit at all. Completely loose like the plastic is not gripping into the housing. I packed them up again and have to return them :-(

Also saw all the warnings about the 55W - good that I didn't install them :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used DDM kits for two cars and it really does seem like the quality has decreased over the year, especially for the ballasts. The slim ballasts included with the DDM kit appear to warm up the bulbs a lot slower and as a result the bulbs do not reach their true color for 30-60 seconds. Even then, the bulbs end up a bit cooler than the actual rating (i.e. 4300K bulbs looks like 5000-5500K color) Also, have had to do two RMAs with our 2013 Accord's bulbs due to a bulb in the pair dying after a few months.

For our 2015 Mazda6, I went with the Zenex H11 HID kit off Amazon in 4300K (made decision based on general consensus on DriveAccord that Zenex ballasts are quality stuff) and they look great. The larger Zenex ballasts appear to be better constructed and do warm the HID bulb faster and offer a very OEM white color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used DDM kits for two cars and it really does seem like the quality has decreased over the year, especially for the ballasts. The slim ballasts included with the DDM kit appear to warm up the bulbs a lot slower and as a result the bulbs do not reach their true color for 30-60 seconds. Even then, the bulbs end up a bit cooler than the actual rating (i.e. 4300K bulbs looks like 5000-5500K color) Also, have had to do two RMAs with our 2013 Accord's bulbs due to a bulb in the pair dying after a few months.

For our 2015 Mazda6, I went with the Zenex H11 HID kit off Amazon in 4300K (made decision based on general consensus on DriveAccord that Zenex ballasts are quality stuff) and they look great. The larger Zenex "compact" ballasts appear to be better constructed and do warm the HID bulb faster and offer a very OEM white color.

How is the Zenex kit? Did you get the relay harness with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is the Zenex kit? Did you get the relay harness with it?
The Zenex kit is great, no complaints on my end. I also replaced the DDM ballasts on our 2013 Accord with Zenex ballasts and they are working very well.

I opted to not purchase a relay harness with either cars and have not ran into any issues with flickering or anything. I've also read that relay harnesses are really not necessary in newer cars due to strong stock power harnesses.. seems like an aftermarket relay harness will just add another potential level of failure.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I opted to not purchase a relay harness with either cars and have not ran into any issues with flickering or anything. I've also read that relay harnesses are really not necessary in newer cars due to strong stock power harnesses.. seems like an aftermarket relay harness will just add another potential level of failure.
You really could not be more wrong about this!

Sure if you buy a sh*tty relay harness off eBay or Amazon you might "add another potential level of failure" but I would rather relay harness fail than fry my car's wiring. Especially when installing crap like Zenex, DDM or any other crap. Rule of thumb, when installing any aftermarket lighting or other electric components that aren't a simple replacement for factory parts, ALWAYS add fuses and relays to protect your $20-30K investment against a failure of $50 garbage parts

·
Registered
779 Posts
@cibersay:

You are trashing here the cheaper HID kit, however can you make a better recommendation? It's really confusing when 2k+ people say it works great but than we have individuals making claims that it sucks.

I definitely like your advise not to hurt your 20-30k investment - so what HID Kit would you recommend?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You really could not be more wrong about this!

Sure if you buy a sh*tty relay harness off eBay or Amazon you might "add another potential level of failure" but I would rather relay harness fail than fry my car's wiring. Especially when installing crap like Zenex, DDM or any other crap. Rule of thumb, when installing any aftermarket lighting or other electric components that aren't a simple replacement for factory parts, ALWAYS add fuses and relays to protect your $20-30K investment against a failure of $50 garbage parts

Can't say I have ever seen a complaint of stock wiring harness failing due to an HID kit, especially on a newer car. If anything, modern HID kits likely have a startup current draw low enough to be managed by stock wiring (especially if it's a 35W kit, not sure about 55W kits). All of my cars have been fine without a relay harness, even the oldest '97 Acura Integra.

That said, if the peace of mind is there for you by adding a relay harness, go for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
@cibersay:

You are trashing here the cheaper HID kit, however can you make a better recommendation? It's really confusing when 2k+ people say it works great but than we have individuals making claims that it sucks.

I definitely like your advise not to hurt your 20-30k investment - so what HID Kit would you recommend?
Not trashing per se, just advising to take extra precautions with any HID kit, especially cheap ones. I used to be a huge fan of DDM kits and had minimal problems with them, such as ordering a 6000K but instead the light was much closer to 8000K. I think I've only had one serious issues over span of 8 years. All that stopped until my recent purchase with them for the Mazda 6 (i think even on this forum i praised DDM in the beginning). And many users mentioned their quality has gone down and customer service has always been nonexistent, but it wasn't an issue when they didn't have quality problems.
There are 2 companies that everyone seem to recommend these days, one is based out of US, TRS - The Retrofit Source and the other one is one I really like and have recently bought multiple kits from is Xenon Depot that is based out of Canada. Quality of wiring, harness, bulbs and components are similar from both companies. However, one person on this forum went through 8 different issues over a span of a year with TRS - though they promptly sent him replacement parts. And my first and only purchase from TRS was also a DOA, both bulbs blew out within minutes of operations. They refunded me within 2 days after they received it back. Now on my 3rd kit from Xenon Depot (one for me, one for wife, and 1 LED kit that I tested out then returned not because of quality but because I found the light output wasn't enough) and I have had 0 issues. The light output is even, the color temp is what it's supposed to be and what I paid for, and the bulbs fire right up, almost 0 warm-up period. So if I was to recommend a kit, go with XD or try TRS - TRS, however, is a bit more expensive. Both kits arrived within a 4 days after ordering, so their shipping is on par.

Can't say I have ever seen a complaint of stock wiring harness failing due to an HID kit, especially on a newer car. If anything, modern HID kits likely have a startup current draw low enough to be managed by stock wiring (especially if it's a 35W kit, not sure about 55W kits). All of my cars have been fine without a relay harness, even the oldest '97 Acura Integra.

That said, if the peace of mind is there for you by adding a relay harness, go for it.
I hear what you're saying but unlike you, I have heard and seen many issues with HID kits in newer cars. Soobie and Evo forums have many threads on this matter. And again though, why risk it? It's a one time $9.99 insurance policy + a few more zip ties and you are almost guaranteed you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone have experiences with Kensun?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conversion-Colors-Premium-Ballasts/dp/B004ZF39T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433470879&sr=8-1&keywords=hid+kit[/ame]

21 - 40 of 55 Posts