Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning everyone. I'm sure I'm not the only one with a new 2014 who CAN'T STAND the default themes that were given to us by TomTom. So I did a little delving and found out how to customize pretty much everything you want to your liking, provided you have a tiny bit of computer skill.

Wanted to share it all with you as I've finally compiled most of the customizability options together finally.

TomTom actually encourages customizing your device, but they don't openly say it.

Before I get started, it's best that you have some type of advanced photo editing software like Photoshop or (Free) GIMP.

Simple Modifications:
I found this page that has the more basic (but certainly more worthwhile) customizability options.

Create Your Own Content Guide

That page gives reference to a program that's openly available for creating your very own color schemes for the map. CSE - Color Scheme Editor - Homepage

^^ That website also has 3 pages of themes that have been created by other users and many of them seem very nice.

Advanced Modifications:

If you find yourself looking for even more customization, and feel particularly computer savvy, you might also want to take a look into customizing your menus like I have.

Within your SD card there are multiple files that can be edited to customize menus and the like. One of the files is in the "home images" folder called "branding.jar" - Depending on your computer, there are various ways to open and edit this file.

For Mac users, simply rename the file to branding.zip - and double-click the zip file. You will then be able to peruse the files within, which include buttons, icons, backgrounds, and some .css files that you can mess around with.

Once you're finished editing, simply right-click the Branding folder and "Compress" - then rename the file back from branding.zip to branding.jar and you're good to go.

Is there any way you would be able to give/make us a how to thread with things like:
1: a link to add and grab images and sounds that others already made and where and how we can just drag and drop to our sd card?
Example: A link where we all contribute already lets say altered back grounds to and a title saying just choose the already made image and drop to this folder on your SD card to make it idiot proof for some of us that may not be so Savvy with this and not ruin our nav card?

2: How can we first update our SD card with the newest free maps from Tom Tom/Mazda and then make a copy of all the info on the card in the event we make a mistake altering it or it gets corrupted and we can just put all the default info back on it?

3: any correction or more info to my babbling. Thank you kindly.

1) Here: Assorted TomTom Voices!

or

Here: 140 TomTom Voices

or

Here (if you want to pay): Voices - Shop - TomTom

2) Plug the SD card into your computer, snag the TomTomHome application from their website and it should let you pick that you want to update it. We get free updates for a certain period of time from TomTom.

Backing up the device is as easy as copying all the data to another hard drive. If it gets corrupted, you'll need to format the drive and start over. (Be warned, I thought it was just FAT32, but it's not - or if it is, it's got special boot flags on it that I'm not aware of).

Any questions feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bravo. Very nice. I will tinker with these for sure. I though having GlaDOS voice was fun but this will make it even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bravo. Very nice. I will tinker with these for sure. I though having GlaDOS voice was fun but this will make it even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah GlaDOS voice is great for the novelty but she wore off on me quickly because she doesn't have many things to say - Like she doesn't have a "In 1.5 miles turn right." so she just says "Turn Right" lol. I found myself staring at the GPS to see when the turn was actually coming up.

Maybe if I have time I can make a Portal-Themed Map and Menu Scheme :D

For now, we will have to wait however.

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So I worked on a day and night time one just for fun. The default night time options are terrible unless it's pitch black out. I also wanted to keep the black and white theme of the car in tact. Hope you like them! :)

(The images are of one of the 3 possible templates you can play around with).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The startup picture does not seem to be able to change.
Yeah I saw that too - despite TomTom being fairly confident that you CAN change it, it doesn't seem that the opening splash screen takes its image from the location that they're describing.

On another note, I fixed up my maps a little bit and changed a few colors around. I tested them out a bit and found some things I didn't like with them. New screen shots and files have been uploaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there any way you would be able to give/make us a how to thread with things like:
1: a link to add and grab images and sounds that others already made and where and how we can just drag and drop to our sd card?
Example: A link where we all contribute already lets say altered back grounds to and a title saying just choose the already made image and drop to this folder on your SD card to make it idiot proof for some of us that may not be so Savvy with this and not ruin our nav card?

2: How can we first update our SD card with the newest free maps from Tom Tom/Mazda and then make a copy of all the info on the card in the event we make a mistake altering it or it gets corrupted and we can just put all the default info back on it?

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Wow I'm sorry I missed your post @Mazdarati_6.

1) Here: Assorted TomTom Voices!

or

Here: 140 TomTom Voices

or

Here (if you want to pay): Voices - Shop - TomTom

2) Plug the SD card into your computer, snag the TomTomHome application from their website and it should let you pick that you want to update it. We get free updates for a certain period of time from TomTom.

Backing up the device is as easy as copying all the data to another hard drive. If it gets corrupted, you'll need to format the drive and start over. (Be warned, I thought it was just FAT32, but it's not - or if it is, it's got special boot flags on it that I'm not aware of).

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Worked on the themes a TINY bit. Couple little oddities that I wasn't a fan of. The nighttime one I changed the color of the boarder on major and secondary roads - originally it was a dark grey, but at night it just made the roads look really wide and they sort of all clumped together, this remedies it a bit.

EDIT: Uploaded latest ones - let me know if anything is messed up on them.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Been a while since I last updated this. Realized that the nighttime one was almost impossible to differentiate between major roads and "normal" roads. Fixed it to match the daytime one a bit more so it's easier to distinguish.

Lol the "drag and drop" files doesn't work properly. Fixing!

Edit: Fixed.

Edit 2: Found a minor flaw in the dark scheme on my way home last night. Fixed and re-uploaded.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bump for updated files because one had a minor flaw in it. See post above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts