Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make a cold air intake. Has anybody done this before? Perhaps if we work together, we can put together a nice package for one and post the instructions online. Many minds are better than one.

Right now, I'm thinking of keeping it simple and using the resonator pipe that extends from the stock airbox down towards the wheel well and using a drop-in K&N filter. I'm sure most of you are more ambitious than I am. What would you do?

Mandrel-bent tubing is available at JC Whitney.

There are lots of different DIY designs online.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Reading Topic: DIY Cold Air Intake

interesting idea, since I don'thave my car at the moment,I can't get in there to really look around, but from the other airbox post is sounds like there is room. A couple of questions:

1. would you just leave the stock/K&N panel filter in and simply run a tube down to the fender? Would that even work?

2. Are there issues with the MAF sensor? Can you work around it? It sounds like the other intake box mod didn't throw any CEL's

3. What would the tube be made out of? would plastic work? I'm trying to think of things that can be bought at something like Home Depot . Are there alot of bends that need to be made?

4. Could youpost some pics of the area without the stock airbox in so I could look around since I don't have my car?

5. Finally, we need to get a good dyno of the current airbox mod to find out if its really making any gains, the one I saw looked suspect. This is impotant since what ever youmake will be leveraging this.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I took mine apart again today, just to look around and post some pictures. The pipe below the intake does not have an opening that I can feel, so it is not a factory cold air intake, but rather a resonator. It seems perfect to convert it into a CAI, as it's position is perfect. Someone will have to take the fender off... I'd of done it today, but as you can see in the pictures I work in a parking lot without help, and I'd be too worried about scratching the fender on the asphalt. Take the fender off should be easy with an extra hand to hold it.

The pictures don't show it, but there's lots of room down there. If the resonator comes out, then the amount of room is near rediculous. It should leave room for even a sloppy design. Still, I think cutting into the resonator to allow it to draw air from the fender is the best, easiest, and most stock-looking idea. Anyone volunteering to take the fender off?

Take a look at the pictures.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Good job hacking around in there Stretch, Can't wait to see how it comes out! If I were closer by, I'd swing by to lend a hand with that fender...

btw - It's time to get a new digicam! Your red is still way off! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts

I created a Intake for my Dodge Dakota. I used 3" PVC pipe and rubber joint sleeves from Home Depot. It seemed to work well. I imagine if you could get a good peice of bent pipe the air would flow more smoothly and you would get better results. I thought about making an intake for my 6 now that the truck is gone. I forgot to take the filter element out when I traded it in though, so now I have to get another filter. I used a conical type K&N knockoff, but it did the trick. If anyone is interested in trying this I would like to talk to you and brainstorm a little.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'DIY Cold Air Intake'

Originally posted by stretchsje

Anyone volunteering to take the fender off?[/url][/b]
You don't need to take anything off except loosen the front part of the inner fender liner. The whole thing (resonator) can be easily unbolted.

Easy way is to jack up the Drivers side and remove front wheel.
Remove the 5 10mm screws that attach the liner to the bottom front bumper cover. Remove the Push fasteners along the fender lip and one in the center front of the wheel well. You can now easily push the fender liner back and have total access to that area.

·
Registered
656 Posts

You should never use PVC for anything under the hood of your car. It is not made to withstand the heat under there and can give off fumes that are very harmful to breathe. I made a cai for my 1992 Nissan Stanza out of jc whitney 3" mandrel bent exaust pipe, an injen pod filter, and some 3"heater hose with hose clamps for connecters. All I did was remove the old intake and see what angles were needed to get the pipe down into the bumper where the cold air is.Then take a 3" hole saw and make a hole to put the pipe through. I did have to incorperate the stock maf into the cai because no one made an after market one. It's not that hard and cost me less than 80 bucks. It is time consuming though.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Hi Guys and Girls,

Before considering a cold air induction kit, my advice is to de-restrict the factory airbox first (4 cylinder model L3). Have a look at my recent article in the Australia section of the website.

I believe the creation of a large airbox inside the front left wheel arc, with an intake trumpet placed in front of the radiator would be the way to go. There is plenty of room down there and as you all mentioned, there is a connection between the lower and upper main airbox.

Warren

[email protected]

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Resonator now removed: pictures. You can see there is LOTS of room to work with in there. It'll be easy to run a huge pipe and filter. The only question is- what to do about the MAF? Can it be remounted onto a pipe easily? It appears so- but it'd be nice to hear from someone who's done it before.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

The only question is- what to do about the MAF?  Can it be remounted onto a pipe easily?  [/b]
My sugestion is "Don't Screw with the MAF!!!" unless you really know what your doing.

Looking at this one from Shaw920, it looks like whoever made it might have cut the MAF out of the stock airbox.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Resonator now removed: pictures.  You can see there is LOTS of room to work with in there.  It'll be easy to run a huge pipe and filter.  The only question is- what to do about the MAF?  Can it be remounted onto a pipe easily?  It appears so- but it'd be nice to hear from someone who's done it before.[/b]

Damn you could drive a truck through that hole, you could def. put a good CAI in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts