Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, this is a trivial DIY but I figured I'd post it anyways.

I took the whole assembly for the glove box light out, just so people can see how it's held in there, but really all you need is a short flathead screwdriver to pop the light housing out from the back, seen below:

The problem is that you can't see what you're doing back there, so it may just be easier to pull the housing out all together, since it's a relatively easy thing to do.

There's a single Phillip's head screw holding the little plastic housing to the back of the dash that needs to be taken out, seen below:

What I was confused about and wanted to mention here is that this screw isn't the only thing holding the housing in. There's a small plastic clip built into the housing, that wedges into the back of the dash to keep it from moving around (I presume). You can see where it wedges in in the photo below (right next to the conveniently places arrow).

**I wanted to mention this because it's impossible to see what's holding in the housing, and if you're like I am, I didn't want to break anything - so this is telling you don't be afraid to just yank it out. :)

The plastic clip that gets wedged in:

And that's it! Really simple, but I felt that people who got to the same spot as I did would take some comfort in knowing that, after removing the screw, you can just yank it out.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I too just pulled the bulb. i had trouble yanking that bulb out due to its somewhat awkward angle, but i eventually got it out and slipped in a new LED one. It does help that you have a dentist/ work mirror to help guide you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi guys,

So my new LED glove box bulb won't work regardless of which way I plug it in. So I know it's not a polarity issue, but it might be a wiring issue!

Any one have experience in sorting this one out? I've NEVER removed the trim of any car, ever, so I'm anxious and nervous as hell and would appreciate some guidance.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

So my new LED glove box bulb won't work regardless of which way I plug it in. So I know it's not a polarity issue, but it might be a wiring issue!

Any one have experience in sorting this one out? I've NEVER removed the trim of any car, ever, so I'm anxious and nervous as hell and would appreciate some guidance.
2 Things:

1) Does a non-LED bulb work in that spot?

2) If so, check your LED bulbs themselves. Sometimes the little metal pieces that stick out around the base aren't secured well enough or are simply not touching the contacts in the housing properly. Depending on how cheap the bulbs were, you may have just got a crap batch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2 Things:

1) Does a non-LED bulb work in that spot?

2) If so, check your LED bulbs themselves. Sometimes the little metal pieces that stick out around the base aren't secured well enough or are simply not touching the contacts in the housing properly. Depending on how cheap the bulbs were, you may have just got a crap batch.

Yeah, the original bulb is burnt and the LED works when I test it elsewhere...it's just that socket.

So it's either the socket or the wiring. Anyone know if this is easy to replace?

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, the original bulb is burnt and the LED works when I test it elsewhere...it's just that socket.

So it's either the socket or the wiring. Anyone know if this is easy to replace?
If the original is burnt then the problem very likely is 1 of 2 things:

1) The dying bulb caused the fuse to blow. Check your fuses behind the panel by your driver's side door under the dash. New ones cost pennies.

2) The housing is busted. You *may* need to replace the bulb housing with a new one. It appears to be part #55-431D

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Byakuya thanks. I finally figured it out and got my glove box light back on...with an LED bulb this time!

I have to add that for those, who're having trouble changing the glove box light, following this guide to the Tee is dead important. Once you do that, you'll have this sorted out in no time. Just have some faith in this DIY guide! lol.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Byakuya thanks. I finally figured it out and got my glove box light back on...with an LED bulb this time!

I have to add that for those, who're having trouble changing the glove box light, following this guide to the Tee is dead important. Once you do that, you'll have this sorted out in no time. Just have some faith in this DIY guide! lol.
Glad it worked for you!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great info. I pulled down the glovebox per the cabin filter change out and could see it fine on my back with a flashlight. Did need to use a latex glove to grip the original bulb. Also rotated the socket to cast the light in the box better.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
stephenmiata
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing