Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....Had a fun day replacing my brakes and rotors today...
Everything goes as planned expect when I reached the rotors I noticed that the screws to the rotors were stripped!! I was beyond pissed since I let Mazda change my last pair of brakes and rotors.

It was a frustrating process and while searching forums and consulting my builder friend...he suggested we drill it out...Sounds crazy and dangerous and I have herd of this before is the only reason I decided to give it a go, besides whats the worst that can happen, I am replacing these anyway.

So grabbed a drill and a (1/2) inch drill bit.
You want to center the drill bit into the rotor screw.
( You may wonder how can you drill through this material...welll...fun fact is the material of the screw is significantly different then the rotor metal and is extremely and surprising easy to drill with some muscle behind it)

As you drill, shavings will come out but don't worry yourself when you come to the point of HOW FAR SHOULD I GO...

As you drill through it you will know to stop by the sound of the drill bit hitting the rotor, no it will not damage it if you take your time and listen for it, it is a different metal so it will make a significantly different sound.....also and ring from the screw will appear and come off on your drill bit when you have reached the end....

There you have it! Once you hear the metal and see the original screw ring pop off, Take your heavy blunt object and hit the rotor as you would from the back to knock it loose...Once off the actually screw will still be there in the rotor itself, you can easily remove by hand or with pliers, the good thing is after you drill through the screw it looses all tension and really easy to come out....surprisingly easy at that.....

Once off, back to to installing your new rotors and brakes and off on the road you go..ZOOM ZOOM baby.

Sorry I do not have photos, it was not my original idea to document or relay this information but if I have this problem, I am sure someone else is or will...

(IMPORTANT) DO YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE SCREWS!!??
NO YOU DO NOT
..you can if you like but they are actually just extra screws to hold the rotor in place once caliper is off but not needed for drive or anything else, that is up to you to replace them i choose not to..

Any questions I will be happy to answer on this subject and can send more info and pics if needed.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Yeah, I've had to drill them out before when working on a friend's car. It's not that big of a deal and they seize all the time and then strip when you try to remove them, especially if the car is driven in the northern, salt-laden states.

I never put them back in if that happens either; they are present only to hold the rotor in place for convenience until you get the caliper on. Once it's together the rotor isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks for the DIY.

the screw it looses all tension and really easy to come out....surprisingly easy at that.....
No need to drill though.

I personally love when the hold down screws get stuck and strip out. It's a fun challenge to get them out. I've never had one that would not come out by tapping the outside edge of the screw head counter clockwise with a small sharp chisel and a small hammer. Just keep working on it till it starts turning. Like you said, once the head is loose the screw comes out easily. It's very rewarding when if starts to turn and you know you've won!

Whenever I go to the junkyard I bring along my favorite 3/8" Philips head bit and grab the screws that easily come out of the rotors. I throw them in my tool box and always have spares to put back into the rotors at home. Always add never sieze to the beveled edge of the new screw head. Can't explain it other than to say that I like having them holding the rotors on. Just seems like the right thing to do. But that's just me.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
The correct way to remove these is to use a Impact Driver. Most any auto parts store has them, and there like $5-10 bux. Makes these a very easy task to tackle.

Otherwise, drilling them is the way to go. The screws they use are a metallic version of cheese, so they really dont take much to drill out. Thank you for being cheap Mazda! Haha

·
Super Moderator
18,309 Posts
The correct way to remove these is to use a Impact Driver. Most any auto parts store has them, and there like $5-10 bux. Makes these a very easy task to tackle.

Otherwise, drilling them is the way to go. The screws they use are a metallic version of cheese, so they really dont take much to drill out. Thank you for being cheap Mazda! Haha
"F**k it, Drill 'Em!" :) - Isn't that someone's signature on here? Haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts