Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just leased a 2018 mazda 6 sport. I want to add android auto and videoplayer as it did not come with it. The dealer wants 400 for this. Im a DIY guy and would like to accomplish this myself. Can someone point me in the right direction if someone on here has accomplished this. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new Mazda6. There are several folks, including myself, who have self-installed the Android Auto/Apple Carplay retrofit. I suggest that you read through this thread, as there are links to the software downloads and manuals for removing and re-installing interior trim pieces. Start around post #51 . Great info here from forum member @ASH8, with links to the software download/flash instructions at post #117 . Also, there's a link to a YouTube video posted by @jmac705 that reviews trim removal on his 2016 - his video inspired me to take a shot at doing this myself.

Some tips from my experience:
  • Assuming your 2018 doesn't have the upgraded USB hub (it has the icon of a smartphone next to the top port), you will need to purchase the hub and cables kit: Mazda NA Part#0000-8F-Z34. I had a hard time getting this kit at first as several dealers wouldn't sell me the kit when they saw the VIN was for a 2017. However, I finally found a dealer who was selling through eBay. The kit cost me around $190 US.
  • Be sure to validate the MD5 value for the downloaded software files, and follow the instructions to flash step by step. The software flash took me around 30 minutes total - again follow those instructions to make sure you don't accidentally brick your system
  • The interior trim pieces come apart pretty easily - I had purchased a new set of trim removal tools but never used them as I was able to get these all off by hand. It looks like Mazda designed this thing knowing that it might be taken apart: the clips are pretty durable and go back together with a tight fit, but go slow and don't try to force anything
  • Removing the old USB hub took a little time, until I figured out that the front wall of the storage bin easily removes after you have the cupholders out. This allowed me to "unfold" that wall to get access to the retaining tabs on the old hub
The hardware install took me about an hour. I'm not a pro by any means, but in my lifetime I have installed maybe a dozen car stereos, an alarm system, and I've replaced a couple of gauge clusters so I feel fairly comfortable working inside the dash and console. Best of luck to you on the install if you decide to do this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
blackngold75 pretty much covered everything. The trim comes up real easy, personally I used a nylon trim removal kit which worked beautifully. Make absolutely sure you update your firmware to 70.100.00A before you install the new USB/AUX unit if you don't already have it.

I wasn't able to find a full video detailing the install on a 6, but I did find a two parter that someone made for the 3 which is close enough that it helped out a lot for removing the trim:

The pinned thread on genuine AA/CarPlay on this forum covers most of what you need to perform the install as well, other than the trim removal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
oblivioncth
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing