Mazda 6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Wow, a lot of work for auto windows. But, nice write-up to add this feature to regular 6's. I guess I'm pretty lucky to have this feature standard on my Speed6.
Honestly, I'm surprised that Mazda didn't offer this feature on the Grand Sport and Grand Touring trim levels of the regular Mazda6. Instead, the Mazda "beancounters" decided to reserve this feature for the "flagship" Mazdaspeed6. In Europe and other markets, lower trim level Mazda 6's also received the auto up/down rear windows, so we clearly got shafted here in the US.

In all likelihood, it would have cost Mazda less than $100 in "premium" parts to add this feature to the Grand Sport and Grand Touring Mazda 6's. No worries here though, as we now have a full walk-through showing just how to add this "forgotten" feature back in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
VERY slowly accumulating parts for this project.. When weather warms up this will probably be accelerated.
I'm available to help with this project if you want another set of hands when you get ready to rewire your car. Also, what parts are you still in need of? I have a LOT of spare parts from my own project last summer.

Justin

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
parts...

Oh! I forgot to reply last time. I actually only have one of the speed6 wiring harnesses at this point.. many other things came up over the winter. Send me a list of what you have left? I'll see what I can afford in the coming weeks.
Which of the Speed6 wiring harnesses did you get? Needless to say, if it's the driver's door harness...my instructions will need to be modified somewhat. I think I have a spare Speed6 master switch, and possibly one or two of the rear switches you will need. I also have a fully rewired standard driver's side harness, which I used to illustrate my mod which I'd be willing to sell you. I also have the full Mazda6 wiring manual that was "priceless" in my efforts. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Justin

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sticky?

Hey Moderators..

What is the process of having this thread considered to be "stickied"?

I think this mod would be a useful resource for a lot of Generation 1.5 Mazda6 owners...

J HILL

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Which of the Speed6 wiring harnesses did you get? Needless to say, if it's the driver's door harness...my instructions will need to be modified somewhat. I think I have a spare Speed6 master switch, and possibly one or two of the rear switches you will need. I also have a fully rewired standard driver's side harness, which I used to illustrate my mod which I'd be willing to sell you. I also have the full Mazda6 wiring manual that was "priceless" in my efforts. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Justin
That's awesome because the speed switches have been the most difficult to find separate from the door cards / at reasonable price. I have a driver rear harness. I can easily get the motors, and there are a couple more harnesses on ebay I've been watching forever. Does your wiring manual go into more useful detail than the PDF shop manual available online somewhere? Because I have that, and it seems to be enough to figure out with my being fairly experienced with wiring and diagrams.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey Moderators..

What is the process of having this thread considered to be "stickied"?

I think this mod would be a useful resource for a lot of Generation 1.5 Mazda6 owners...

J HILL
+1 For sticky

If this mod didn't cost so much, I'd be down...

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,606 Posts
Better yet, it's getting moved to the DIY section instead.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Got it all.... Just need to identify a couple more parts to pull.. Im not certain of what little boxes and parts sit behind the dash, but its all pulled and open so i can get to it fast..

Two keys, and the sensors that sit behind the door panels are pulled. I need to check what else is involved...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Got it all.... Just need to identify a couple more parts to pull.. Im not certain of what little boxes and parts sit behind the dash, but its all pulled and open so i can get to it fast..

Two keys, and the sensors that sit behind the door panels are pulled. I need to check what else is involved...
There's no "dash parts" needed for this mod. All the parts needed are installed in the doors. The only parts you need are the driver's master switch, (2) donor wiring harnesses, the two rear switches, and the two 6-pin power window motors. Beyond that its' just a good bit of rewiring and splicing. The full parts list for 2006-2008 Mazda 6s are at the beginning of the thread.

Justin

21 - 40 of 61 Posts