Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Where are people finding a 14mm magnetic deep socket? I tried every auto parts store around here, and hardware stores as well. I can get this done without it, but damn.. why is this socket so hard to find?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got mine at O’Reilly, I think. Maybe it was AutoZone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The one I did purchase from Advanced Auto (was the same thing at the other 2 franchises too), was a 9/16". Unfortunately, inside the socket about 1"-1.5" down from the hex opening was too small and the insulator on the plug wouldn't get past it. So I couldn't catch the spark plug with the socket.
I'm not looking for an answer at this point cause I got a magnetic rod to pull em out... just complaining now lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sorry for the late reply - you could always use a standard 14mm deep socket to fully loosen the plugs, then the 9/16 magnetic to pull them out.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
To restart the plugs without a socket with a rubber insert - find a piece of hose that you can fit over the insulator ceramic of the plug... and lower the plug into the plug well and start it by hand. When the hose twists off you can pull out the hose... then tighten to torque with a conventional deep socket + torque wrench.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took the crappy 9/16 back and got a telescoping rod with a magnetic end (up to 15lbs). With that I was actually able to lower it in the hole and start the threads. Kinda surprised it worked like that but it did.

Took it out for a spin after new plugs, new short shift kit (with hard bushing on the shifter) and an oil change.. drives like a champ!

Brakes and fluid flush up next.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts