Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Originally bought the delco, but based upon everyone here I returned them and got the Bosch. I can tell some power is back but wouldn't say it's like new. Solid pull from the engine at all rpm levels. OEM plugs looked okay, but with 92k I felt it time to change.

·
Super Moderator
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm a bit past due.....was thinking about taking it in but I'm going for it.
THANKS
Yup! You'll be fine and save yourself maybe $40 in the process :D

·
Super Moderator
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
DO NOT overtorque or cross-thread those plugs! It's an aluminum head and pretty easy to hose the threads. If you do you're screwed and will not like the amount of work required to pull the head and have a timesert or similar put in. IMHO for removal break it free and then use your FINGERS to spin it out so as to avoid the risk of placing lateral loads on the threads as the plug comes out of the hole. You MUST start the new plug by HAND, be gentle, make CERTAIN it is in the hole cleanly, and the threads engaged before anything more than very light finger pressure is used on a bare socket extension. You can and should run it all the way down until the gasket makes contact using nothing more than two fingers on the extension. A torque wrench is IMHO NOT optional for tightening either.
Thanks for suggestions. I am about do DIY spark plug change and wondering what torque value do I need to use? Would it be different if I bough OEM Mazda plugs vs NGK or Bosch plugs?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I found an answer on another thread.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not every Japanese OEM uses Denso. Honda and Subaru use NGK. Toyota use Denso. I thought my last Mazda used NGK, but I really don’t recall. I haven’t had a Nissan in ages, but when they were Datsun they used NGK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all, I am approaching the time to change the spark plugs. What is the consensus for the best type of spark plug to use?

·
Super Moderator
17,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hello all, I am approaching the time to change the spark plugs. What is the consensus for the best type of spark plug to use?
Boche or Denso, but regardless don't get the cheapest ones you can find because they'll be just that, cheap.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts