Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very simple, just be patient and smart about it and you'll get it done in a couple minutes.

The bulbs that will fit in these sockets are 3175 "festoon" - Go here for links to the best sites to find them on.

I only took pictures of the back seats, but the front map lights are the exact same thing.

**For the purpose of the pictures, I removed the business card I was using to prevent any scrapes/damage on the plastic surrounding the lens caps.**

In regards to that, take a business card and use it so your screwdriver doesn't touch the beige plastic housings - this greatly helps avoiding putting little pressure dents on the housings.

*For all intents and purposes, all of these pictures the BOTTOM is the front of the car.

- Start on the outside, forward-most (closest to front of car) side of the plastic covers.

- Push the clear plastic cover Inward and slightly down. There is a "U" shaped clip that holds it in to place - seen below:

- Do the same thing from the other side and the cap should basically fall out.

NOTE: The Front and Rear lights, although the same bulb, have different housings. The Front housings are meant to hold SLIGHTLY smaller bulbs (maybe 29mm instead of 31mm 3175) but the 3175 still fit fine. The rears have no fit problems whatsoever.

Repeat this in the reverse order and you're good to go!

·
Registered
498 Posts
The business card idea is brilliant. Good thinking. My festoons should be in soon. They shipped from China so it took a couple weeks to get here. I have two blue ones in the door already and the domes are getting white

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did mine yesterday. I would highly recommend changing over to LED bulbs.
Yeah most people love the LEDs - Personally I got the "Xenon" bulbs from Autolumination because I loved them in my reverse lights on the '04. They're blue bulbs but a very nice soft white lights. Honestly, I wish they were a TINY bit brighter (only 8w) but beggars can't be choosers.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@mmceorange has his whole car outfitted with red LEDs. They look fantastic at night but honestly I've never driven in his car with them on.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
@mmceorange has his whole car outfitted with red LEDs. They look fantastic at night but honestly I've never driven in his car with them on.
Why would they be on while you're driving? :p yes, the red is much easier to adjust to than white, which I actually tried first.

I love the red, the ladies do too. For the record, I have white in my visor lights because it can be rather difficult to read things in red light. So having the visor lights white takes care of that perfectly, and they can be aimed somewhat.

Also, I don't understand why you guys don't use something flat like a butter knife rather than a round screwdriver.. just a thought.

Excellent write up though Steve, as usual.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So I did an LED festoon swap on my rear dome lights last night. As I was installing them, I was pushing it to get in the housing since the light boards are a little too big to be horizonal. Then the light flickered out suggesting a fuse was blown. I thought screw it and would fix in the morning.
I then went out to town and when I went to lock the doors, they wouldn't lock. I then had to use the "fob touch" method and depress the stuck brake to get it to turn on again. The CEL was lit I was worried something was seriously wrong. Took the car home since I wasn't going to leave it unlocked in the city.

Got around to checking the fuse box this morning.
Its in the box under the hood and was labeled "Room 15A". She was blown all right so I did a swap and the lights worked, the locks worked and the CEL was off. Funny how the Dome light fuse stopped me from locking the vehicle.

Now we know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So I did an LED festoon swap on my rear dome lights last night. As I was installing them, I was pushing it to get in the housing since the light boards are a little too big to be horizonal. Then the light flickered out suggesting a fuse was blown. I thought screw it and would fix in the morning.
I then went out to town and when I went to lock the doors, they wouldn't lock. I then had to use the "fob touch" method and depress the stuck brake to get it to turn on again. The CEL was lit I was worried something was seriously wrong. Took the car home since I wasn't going to leave it unlocked in the city.

Its in the box under the hood and was labeled "Room 15A". She was blown all right so I did a swap and the lights worked, the locks worked and the CEL was off. Funny how the Dome light fuse stopped me from locking the vehicle.

Now we know.
so were you able to use the LEDs in the rear dome again?

·
Registered
16 Posts

Now we know.
Thanks a lot for that ^. I was replacing interior lights last night and as I was on the last bulb (passenger door light), blew the fuse. I knew I had read your post earlier in the day and pulled it back up to identify the blown fuse. Your info was a lifesaver. All said and done, it looks amazing. Especially with the black interior!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed blue dome, map, and courtesy festoon LED's. Look great at night, will have to take night pics.

I'm having trouble replacing the courtesy lights, the bulb won't come out.

EDIT: Nvm, used scotch tape and it came off.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you do a How-to on popping open the courtesy light covers? I don't want to damage the cover.
Pull them straight out - They're only held in by little plastic clips (with Mazda logos on them oddly enough).

They will slide towards the inside of the car, not down towards the ground. Shouldn't take more than a little bit of force.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
36 Participants
Jaggrey
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing