Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Lol. I was looking for the sizes on those too, but I have an aftermarket front bumper that has the mounting points built in and I didn't want to take a bumper into the hardware store.... I ended up using a nut and bolt which may not be an option for stock bumper

·
Registered
170 Posts
meh, in the interest of time and driving back and forth to home deopt, I may just keep the 6 mounting screws and take the rest back to mazda. thanks for your help! definitely saved me a few bucks!

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you use these. i would not recommend using the wiring harness. make sure you also order the stalk switch so you can use the factory harness.
Yep, that would be the plan. The harness isn't needed as they should plug in to the wire directly behind the grill (current cover plate). Also was aware that the stalk is needed. I'm specifically interested in how this kit from ebay compares to the Spyders as there is a $40-$50 price difference.

·
Registered
436 Posts
k cool. maybe someone here has bought that same or similar set. the one thing i could think is that he lenses may not be glass, and the fog housing/surround could be thinner plastic. if they arent oem quality, return them just gotta pay return shipping.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw a guy on YouTube replace the fog light on his m 3 from the front. He just pried off the fog light trim from the front. I guess the 6 isn't set up this way?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I saw a guy on YouTube replace the fog light on his m 3 from the front. He just pried off the fog light trim from the front. I guess the 6 isn't set up this way?
There are teeth in interior of the bumper skin that guide the fog light trim into place. You can't release them from the outside.

You don't need to pull the skin - you can go in through the fenderwells to do it. Much easier on the driver's side, but doable on both sides. (I've done the install 3 times, always through the fenders - never even jacked up the car)

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's my plan, going from under. I bought the Spyder kit but from what i read, not very good quality but there are not a lot of reviews for other brands. I als bought a pair of 30w cree h8 led to replace the halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's my plan, going from under. I bought the Spyder kit and from what read, not very good quality but there are not many reviews on other brands. Also bought a pair of Cree 30w led to replace the Spyder's halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's my plan, going from under. I bought the Spyder kit and from what read, not very good quality but there are not many reviews on other brands. Also bought a pair of Cree 30w led to replace the Spyder's halogen bulbs.
Make sure you start with the aim low. The combo is going to scatter a lot of light upwards, like dropping a HID kit in a standard halogen reflector lens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Make sure you start with the aim low. The combo is going to scatter a lot of light upwards, like dropping a HID kit in a standard halogen reflector lens.
Thx for the tip. I dont like those super bright lights people put on their car and that's why i bought the 30w instead of 60 or 80. For Cal, it's mainly just for look, making the front look more complete. I know we will almost never have to turn them on.

Oh, according to Spyder Auto, the lamp they use in their kit is H8 55w halogen. I am not sure how different it is from the H11. Probably same base but different in the size of the bulb?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Had them installed. Spyder's quality isn't that bad. Seems solid, except for the lens that is more like plastic, not glass and not very clear like glass. What important to me was the fit and it fitted perfectly. I bought it from Amazon for like $80+ bucks, a lot cheaper than everywhere esle I've seen. There was one review and it was one star. Viewer said it was a piece of junk, screw broke during installation. I am not sure why he had to mess with the screws. I installed with the whole assembly intact. I was worried that they might send me something else, not Spyder but they did. This happens a lot on Amazon lately.

The 30w Cree LED ($14 on Ebay) bulbs were quite bright, even during the day. Good thing I didn't go with 60 or 80 as I originally planned.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Spyder fogs, and have had two lenses crack on me. Its definitely glass, but I feel like replacing the lens with polycarbonate would be best. I've actually purchased the LED fogs from TRS to put in. The lenses on those are polycarbonate. I'll see how they hold up.

Had them installed. Spyder's quality isn't that bad. Seems solid, except for the lens that is more like plastic, not glass and not very clear like glass. What important to me was the fit and it fitted perfectly. I bought it from Amazon for like $80+ bucks, a lot cheaper than everywhere esle I've seen. There was one review and it was one star. Viewer said it was a piece of junk, screw broke during installation. I am not sure why he had to mess with the screws. I installed with the whole assembly intact. I was worried that they might send me something else, not Spyder but they did. This happens a lot on Amazon lately.

The 30w Cree LED ($14 on Ebay) bulbs were quite bright, even during the day. Good thing I didn't go with 60 or 80 as I originally planned.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the Spyder fogs, and have had two lenses crack on me. Its definitely glass, but I feel like replacing the lens with polycarbonate would be best. I've actually purchased the LED fogs from TRS to put in. The lenses on those are polycarbonate. I'll see how they hold up.
Really! Those lenses are glass? It looks like plastic and feels (tap on it) like plastic...must be very cheap glass, lol...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I bought the yellow ones, so I'm not sure if the clear ones are different. Or maybe they changed the product (I bought these about a year and a half ago). But it's definitely a fairly thick glass. And I'm thinking it may have been either ice, or salt spreaders that destroyed the lenses. Maybe a layer of vinyl on the lens may help protect it some.

Really! Those lenses are glass? It looks like plastic and feels (tap on it) like plastic...must be very cheap glass, lol...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just finished my install. I got the WinJet fog light assembly from Amazon for $40 and a free OEM stalk from a buddy. Also got some 6000k 55w Kensun HIDs (H11). The easiest part of the install was swapping out the stalk.

Because i'm not confident enough to take off the bumper etc., I just went through the wheel wells. As others have pointed out, the driver side is a piece of cake but the passenger side is annoying because of the washer fluid container thingy.

Still, it took me less than 45 minutes. Super easy. I live in Columbia Heights in Washington DC. I'd be glad to help anyone that wants to do this mod. I'm not on the forum much lately so email me at heynik75AThotmailDOTfr

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just finished my install. I got the WinJet fog light assembly from Amazon for $40 and a free OEM stalk from a buddy. Also got some 6000k 55w Kensun HIDs (H11). The easiest part of the install was swapping out the stalk.

Because i'm not confident enough to take off the bumper etc., I just went through the wheel wells. As others have pointed out, the driver side is a piece of cake but the passenger side is annoying because of the washer fluid container thingy.

Still, it took me less than 45 minutes. Super easy. I live in Columbia Heights in Washington DC. I'd be glad to help anyone that wants to do this mod. I'm not on the forum much lately so email me at heynik75AThotmailDOTfr

Cheers
I as well added the fog lights with this method. I worked well. I did the passenger side first, as I knew it was going to be much more difficult because of the washer fluid container. When I moved in to the drivers side, it was a breeze.

Nicoutino, is that chrome in your grill the kit that you can buy on Amazon? I've debated purchasing it, but seeing it on your car. It looks good.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
31 Participants
salasjairo
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing